C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right Rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2023, 04:25 PM
Tbone005
Heel & Toe

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Right Rims

I am trying to upgrade my 07 Base to 11-13 ZR1 ACDelco Brembo Calipers. I have upgraded the rotors but cant seem to find rims that will fit over them. Anywhere I can look to find some. Trying not to go Wide body with them since mine isn't a wide body and don't plan to do so.
Old 08-22-2023, 05:21 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,175 Posts

ZR1 rotors and calipers will need 19" front, 20" back rims for the barrel sections to clear the caliper OD's. Its mostly the front rims, while the larger rear rims for the needed speed sensor off set so the car does not throw codes

The glitch to this, is you need Base off sets in the rims, not the zr1 Wide body rim off sets, and back to finding rims with the rim spokes ID shallow enough in base off set rims to clear the calipers outer faces as well. There is the spacer option to push the rim spokes off the hub surfaces to maybe gain the needed clearances that way, but the glitch is push the rims too far off the hubs to end up with the outside of the tires proud of the fender, and first time tire crashes in to the fender lips via bump, it going to destroy the fenders.

Then we get back to brakes only as good as the tires on the car, so unless your going to run super cups or a tire with more grip, wider then normal stock tires to push the tires more towards the center line of the car to run the wider tires, really wasting your time by going with the carbon rotors in the first place. And that is once you do manage to get the rotors up to temp to grab in the first place.

With luck, someone has already pulled this off without needed spacer for at least the stock Base tire widths, but may be harder to find the needed rims for the brakes, while at the same time, able to take the wider tires while pushing them more to center line, so they are not protruding past the fender lips/ have the needed increase tire grip to justify the brake system on the base car in the first place.
Old 08-22-2023, 05:26 PM
Tbone005
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Dano523
ZR1 rotors and calipers will need 19" front, 20" back rims for the barrel sections to clear the caliper OD's. Its mostly the front rims, while the larger rear rims for the needed speed sensor off set so the car does not throw codes

The glitch to this, is you need Base off sets in the rims, not the zr1 Wide body rim off sets, and back to finding rims with the rim spokes ID shallow enough in base off set rims to clear the calipers outer faces as well. There is the spacer option to push the rim spokes off the hub surfaces to maybe gain the needed clearances that way, but the glitch is push the rims too far off the hubs to end up with the outside of the tires proud of the fender, and first time tire crashes in to the fender lips via bump, it going to destroy the fenders.

Then we get back to brakes only as good as the tires on the car, so unless your going to run super cups or a tire with more grip, wider then normal stock tires to push the tires more towards the center line of the car to run the wider tires, really wasting your time by going with the carbon rotors in the first place. And that is once you do manage to get the rotors up to temp to grab in the first place.

With luck, someone has already pulled this off without needed spacer for at least the stock Base tire widths, but may be harder to find the needed rims for the brakes, while at the same time, able to take the wider tires while pushing them more to center line, so they are not protruding past the fender lips/ have the needed increase tire grip to justify the brake system on the base car in the first place.
Thanks for the info! I'm not running Carbon rotors. Talked to a corvette shop and they said no need to run carbon , plus they will do more harm then good. So it sounds like I will have to go bigger to make them fit.
Old 08-22-2023, 06:37 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Not sure you have priced them, but even the steel floating ZR1 rotors are not cheap.
https://www.google.com/search?q=C6+z...t=gws-wiz-serp

Yes on the larger size rim to push the barrels out farther, and your going to running lower Profile tires on them to keep the Tire ODs around the same size to fit inside the fender wells.
Yes on wider rims so you can run wider tires for the needed grip to justify having the brakes on the car in the first place, but off set needs to push the rims more to the inside line of the base narrow body car, not to the outside like the wide body rims do for the Zr1 and z06. Then you get into shallowness of spokes, so the front of the calipers don't rub on inside of spokes.

And to rub some more dirt in the wound, the OEM C6 Zr1 Brembo calipers, are no better than say the stock Z06 calipers from PBR (other than working with larger rotors). Hence both where severally value engineered by GM to get the price way,way, down on them for an oem part, and don't hold a candle to true race calipers.
Old 08-22-2023, 06:55 PM
Tbone005
Heel & Toe

Default Cool

Not trying to race my vette. Just wanted a certain color and this was what i found. So far this is my only issue but I will keep looking. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-22-2023, 08:50 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,821 Likes on 4,243 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Tbone005
Thanks for the info! I'm not running Carbon rotors. Talked to a corvette shop and they said no need to run carbon , plus they will do more harm then good.
I'd say first find a new "corvette" shop. Not sure what "harm" carbon ceramic rotors would cause

Originally Posted by Tbone005
Just wanted a certain color and this was what i found.
If you just want a certain color caliper, there are plenty of options that 1. Are much, much cheaper & 2. Fit your vehicle. The ZR1 calipers aren't the right play.

Get notified of new replies

To Right Rims

Quick Reply: Right Rims