C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do any of you......................

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:09 PM
soetekouw
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do any of you......................

lease a corvette instead of buying it?

I normally get the itch to buy a new sports car every 2-4 years. But the depriaciation on these vehicles is horrible. Bought a 2005 BMW Z4 for $42K, traded it in for $20K in 2007. Bought a 2007 Porsche Boxster S for $72K and the dealer wants to give me only $24K, today. I am not taking that hit. So I'll hold onto the Porsche, for now, but would like to try a 2011 GS corvette. The thought of leasing it may be the way to go so that I can give it back in 3-years (when the warranty runs out). Anyu thoughts on leasing?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:11 PM
RLove
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by soetekouw
lease a corvette instead of buying it?

I normally get the itch to buy a new sports car every 2-4 years. But the depriaciation on these vehicles is horrible. Bought a 2005 BMW Z4 for $42K, traded it in for $20K in 2007. Bought a 2007 Porsche Boxster S for $72K and the dealer wants to give me only $24K, today. I am not taking that hit. So I'll hold onto the Porsche, for now, but would like to try a 2011 GS corvette. The thought of leasing it may be the way to go so that I can give it back in 3-years (when the warranty runs out). Anyu thoughts on leasing?
Leasing companies are in it for the money. You're going to take the hit for the depreciation whether you buy it or lease it.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:15 PM
rchbn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not find a good 1-2 year old car where that person took the hit and you don't? I don't think I will ever buy a new car again for exactly the reasons you stated. But that's me.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:28 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Not generally a good buy for personal use car that you can't write off. Leases are very different from each company but in all cases I know of, the fine print over protects the leasor and sticks it to you. When you turn the car back they nickel and dime you for every little thing, from replacing tires, cleaning interior, repairing body and paint damage and mechanical issues, for a premium price. I tried leasing once, back in '89. After 3 years I was preparing to turn the car in. I learned they were going to charge me for new OEM tires because the ones on the car were less than 3/32 and they were going to charge way above MSRP. Fortunately I found some cheap, off brand, correct size tires to put on at about 1/3 the cost. Since I'm so **** about taking care of my cars the only thing they hit me with was repainting the front valance, under the radiator, due to a few dozen stone chips. They charged $150 for that, so I got back $250 of my deposit. Had I not done the tires myself I would have owed more than $1000 above my deposit. And I didn't even come close to the mileage limit.

I will not do that again.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:43 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I agree almost totally with Rick.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Daredevil95
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mercedes has the only good lease program that I know of.....all costs are shown up front and VERY reasonable. I attached the Mercedes lease page as an example....then go look at GM and all the other manufactures and you will see what I mean.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/special_offers/current

Don't confuse the purchase with lease options.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:47 PM
operationblackwater
Instructor

Thats wjat happens when you buy brand new cars. My FIL has owned a few car dealers and one thing I will never do is buyin a brand new car. Not that I cant afford it but I lime to switch up my DD every couple of years.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:52 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,252 Likes on 916 Posts

You buy Corvettes and lease BMW's. Not too many modded up Bimmers out there.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:53 PM
operationblackwater
Instructor

Originally Posted by operationblackwater
Thats what happens when you buy brand new cars. My FIL has owned a few car dealers and one thing I will never do is buyin a brand new car. Not that I cant afford it but I like to switch up my DD every couple of years.
By the way as far as leasing, i leased a 99 cobra back in '99 and I will never ever do it again. Too much small print.(rules and contracts stink)
Old 01-29-2011, 11:55 PM
carnutsx2
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Buy a used car, mines still worth what I paid for it a year ago.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:07 AM
JWell
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carnutsx2
Buy a used car, mines still worth what I paid for it a year ago.
what he said
Old 01-30-2011, 07:31 AM
vettelover69
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you get a stripped down 1lt you can lease for about 500. Not too bad but it's a 1lt.

I asked about a lease price on my 2010 GS with a sticker of 69,075 and a purchase price of 58,000. The salesman quoted me at just over 1200 a month.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I know leasing a vehicle could be a viable option for business purposes but I've never felt renting anything made sense for me personally. I will, however, often keep a new car for up to ten years.

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
You buy Corvettes and lease BMW's. Not too many modded up Bimmers out there.
I'm guessing you haven't been to a race track lately. There are many modded-up 'street' BMW's running road courses as well as the usual cast of (gutted) 'full-race' Bimmers. A trend I've seen lately are BMWs running Chevy V8 powerplants.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:18 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Leasing is a personal preferance.If your situation deems it good for you to lease,then lease.It sounds from what you said about wanting a new toy every 2-4 years you may be a prime candidate to lease.Yes,you will pay a "rental fee,depreciation fee and some other stuff,but in the end you're only paying for 1/2 or less then half of that car during the time you use it.Just be aware,you can't mod it,you'll need to fix any dents or dings and stuff like that before the lease is up.Make sure you get enough miles for you up front because it's cheaper.Check on the disposition fee if there is one at the end too.I say if it works for you,do it.The best you're ever going to do on trade is is somewhere around 50% of original cost,plus your tax savings if your state allows that.

Last edited by not08crmanymore; 01-30-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:16 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by RLove
Leasing companies are in it for the money. You're going to take the hit for the depreciation whether you buy it or lease it.
They aren't in the leasing business for their health. They make more leasing than selling and walking away. With a sale they make their money up front and have no further commitment. With a lease they have to continue to support the lease for the term, dispose of the car at the end, as well as getting their money more slowly. Leasing is only cost effective if you can deduct the entire lease payment from your taxes. Companies can do this - individuals can not. Both, however, are going to pay the total cost of the use of the car including depreciation, profit for the seller, and interest on the total cost of the vehicle.

But the dealerships have found there is a market in individuals who see only the monthly payment and not the total cost. You can get a lease for a monthly payment less than the interest if you are buying more car than you can afford. A lot of people aren't that good at math and will go for it.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:25 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Do you own your business where you can deduct lease payments (assuming you would use it in the business, of course).

Check out the lease vs buy calculator. If it is not you DD and you will keep it longer then the 3 years, it would probably be better to buy. There are some good low interest programs out there today.

Here is a calculator for you to use... https://www.twacpa.com/pages/Calculators
Old 01-30-2011, 11:50 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

If you lease the car and can write off the payments with a business, then it makes sense, otherwise it doesn't.

Get notified of new replies

To Do any of you......................

Old 01-30-2011, 12:13 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by cclive
If you lease the car and can write off the payments with a business, then it makes sense, otherwise it doesn't.
Well you can also depreciate the car in a buy situation, there is no "general" rule to this, which is why I gave him a link to a calculator to get the dollars and cents. Also, there is the "after tax" aspect to it.
Most of the time, in business (subject to mileage allowance with the lease) it is usually better to lease for the simplicity of writing off the payment, rather than depreciation, and the potential recapture at the end. Anyway, there are several factors to consider other than the lower payment from leasing.....
Old 01-30-2011, 12:43 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My 2007 vert was leased. At the time, the lease options were not to bad. When my lease was up (May 2010), I considered buying it outright but the lease company gave me the run around on the purchase price and pissed me off. I could have bought it for a fair price but that wasnt the number they had originally told me.

I searched around for new and used vettes and checked lease options but the leases were no where near the price they were back in 07. It ended up that I found an 09 Z06 with 3700 miles and the financing was much less then the current lease rates.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:44 PM
soetekouw
Advanced

Thanks for the replies.

The general consensus is to buy, and then buy used. Makes sense.

Quick Reply: Do any of you......................