C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the life expectancy of a C6 Z51 leaf spring?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 04:35 PM
99probs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the life expectancy of a C6 Z51 leaf spring?

What's the life expectancy of a C6 Z51 leaf spring? Alot probably depends on how often you drive the car, miles etc. I just wanted to get a general idea.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:57 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99probs
What's the life expectancy of a C6 Z51 leaf spring? Alot probably depends on how often you drive the car, miles etc. I just wanted to get a general idea.
A poperly designed spring, leaf, torsion or coil, should last you the life of the car. However, their apparently have been some Vette spring failures due to chemical attack by underbody car washing chemicals that are not properly buffered, and/or some products used to clean tires, wheels and engines. Their is apparently a technical service bulletin on this.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

The only failure I remember reading on here about was an incident where someone had exhaust cutouts and they were point at the leaf which caused an early failure....basically melted the leaf if I remember correctly.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:45 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Corpsvette
The only failure I remember reading on here about was an incident where someone had exhaust cutouts and they were point at the leaf which caused an early failure....basically melted the leaf if I remember correctly.
Yes, that's the only one that I've read about also on a C6. But I think others on the same thread mentioned they had heard about other instances of failure from the heat directed from the cutouts on other vehicles.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
A poperly designed spring, leaf, torsion or coil, should last you the life of the car. However, their apparently have been some Vette spring failures due to chemical attack by underbody car washing chemicals that are not properly buffered, and/or some products used to clean tires, wheels and engines. Their is apparently a technical service bulletin on this.

You would have to work at it pretty hard to actually get a spring failure from typical driving and cleaning activities etc.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:03 PM
okbkvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The history of the composite leaf spring is very interesting to me, and is an example of why GM can continue to justify a low volume car, other than the fact it is their halo/performance marque. The vette, being a low volume car, has a history of being a test bed for new technologies. Simply stated, it's easier to try out something new when you are only selling maybe 20k units, versus a million trucks. If something doesn't work out, better it be on a few thousand units rather than a million trucks.
The hydroformed rails in our vette is another example. It was a new technology, tried first with the vette, then it founds its way into other vehicles, trucks, after vette etc.
Same thing with the composite leaf spring. I've read it's been on the trucks for years now. But in one of my reference books, in their "testing", they cycled it more than a million times. And afterwards, it still played out higher, in terms of resistance, failure, etc. than a comprable steel spring. Also, at least last time I saw, it was the single biggest weight savings on a part. Went from something like 80 pounds or more down to maybe 15 or so.
Anyway, point is, absent some bad chemical mix by a supplier, or some unknown outside force, these composite springs should not fail in any way for more than the life of these cars. Basic question is, how often does a steel spring fail?

Last edited by okbkvette; 02-09-2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: sentence correction
Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 PM
crakavelli
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to replace the rear spring on my 05 Z51 C6 at 35K miles; there were stress cracks where the spring is supposed to bend. I didnt have a warranty so I just got a low mile set of Z06 springs
Old 02-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The following link provides some great information about the Corvette transverse leaf spring...its worth reading through.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...f-springs.html

There's always an exception but IMO you should expect the springs will last for the lifetime of the car.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:10 AM
99probs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crakavelli
I had to replace the rear spring on my 05 Z51 C6 at 35K miles; there were stress cracks where the spring is supposed to bend. I didnt have a warranty so I just got a low mile set of Z06 springs
Did you notice a difference in the ride before replacing them?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:20 AM
crakavelli
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99probs
Did you notice a difference in the ride before replacing them?
Yes, I had suspicions something was wrong with the suspension. It doesnt seem to happen with many C6's and mine is a 2005 FWIW
Old 02-10-2011, 09:49 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

You might also want to ask in the other sections such as C4. The composite fiberglass spring has been used in Corvettes for over 25 years.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:01 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I've know of one having to be replaced because of a crack at the dealership my GF used to work at. That was the only problem I ever heard of.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:17 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I've always heard that composite springs are good for many more flex cycles than a metal spring.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the life expectancy of a C6 Z51 leaf spring?