C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to rent car hauler.HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:14 AM
jsnapp13
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KY Events Coordinator
Default Want to rent car hauler.HELP!

Anyone have thoughts on renting a light car hauler that a Grand Sport would easily load and pull? Who rents the right one?
Old 06-05-2011, 12:14 PM
jsnapp13
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KY Events Coordinator

ttt HELP
Old 06-05-2011, 12:18 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

well, for me - it's been 13 years, but at the time I rented a car hauler from U-Haul. I still see them so I bet they still have them. It has a winch on the front and the trailer wheel well / cover on the drivers side even folds down so you can open the drivers door to get out of the car after you drive it / winch it up.

Hardest part is finding a place that has one. They were always in high demand.

Good Luck !

Do you have to haul it a long distance ?
Old 06-05-2011, 12:22 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

looks like they still have the. Look on the RH side of the page.

http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/

And BTW, I hauled a '67 Camaro and pulled it with a 1/2 T truck w/ no problem. Ground clearance when loading will be your only challenge. Uhaul may be able to provide a spec for min ground clearance.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've got a lot of experience pulling horse and auto trailers...I've owned horse trailers and the company I worked for had various auto trailers which I'd sometimes use. When I started towing my Vette to the track (before I bought my own Jim-Glo tilt-bed auto trailer) I rented a U-Haul auto trailer. IMO a U-Haul trailer would work fine for most cars but for a C6 it was a nightmare!

The driver's side trailer fender would swing out of the way but there was another steel plate sticking up so you still couldn't open the driver's side door when the car was loaded on the trailer. No problem because there was a metal wheel-stop sticking up so high the nose of my car wouldn't clear it...the car had to be backed onto the trailer. The wider wheels/tires on my car rubbed tightly against steel 'rails' running along the sides of the trailer 'floor.' There was so little clearance between the car and the trailer fender it was ridiculous. I finally blew it off and returned the trailer (without using it). I've heard some guys used a U-Haul to transport their C6. For me, it wasn't worth the hassle or the risk of damage to the car.

Last edited by Wayne O; 06-05-2011 at 12:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Want to rent car hauler.HELP!

Quick Reply: Want to rent car hauler.HELP!