C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flickering Headlight (HID)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 05:59 PM
acthegiant
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Flickering Headlight (HID)?

Just noticed my drivers side low beam (the HID) headlight is flickering - fast. Not blinking, flickering. Not sure if HID bulbs flicker when they are about to fail or if it might be the balast. Have GMPP and I suspect if its the bulb I am out of luck but if its the ballast, should be covered...

Any thoughts on the problem? Passenger side low beam is just fine.

I couldn't find any similar problems when searching.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Old 07-08-2011, 07:28 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Change bulbs from one side to the other. If the problem follows the bulb, buy new bulb. If the problem stays on the same side, it's something else.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Road Rage
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I see this at the shop it's always a bulb going south. Of course I work for Lexus but I assume Chevy uses bulbs like everybody else. Wonder if they cost $185 like the Lexus bulbs do.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Hello,

It’s been a few days since you posted this so I was wondering if you’ve made any progress regarding your headlights. Have you taken it to the dealership at all or are you planning to attend to this on your own?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Old 07-13-2011, 10:58 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

It's probably the bulb. I just had the same condition on an HID bulb (rapid flickering) and it was the bulb...ballast was fine.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:41 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I'm not that familiar with the various HID's but when I changed the HID's in my C6(from 4300*K to 6000*K) I thought the bulb and the ballast where combined in one unit. At least the bulb and a box attached to it were one unit.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

where's the OP?
Old 07-13-2011, 07:34 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I'm not that familiar with the various HID's but when I changed the HID's in my C6(from 4300*K to 6000*K) I thought the bulb and the ballast where combined in one unit. At least the bulb and a box attached to it were one unit.
The Box is the igniter. The ballast in mounted on the bottom of the headlight housing.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 PM
acthegiant
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hello,

It’s been a few days since you posted this so I was wondering if you’ve made any progress regarding your headlights. Have you taken it to the dealership at all or are you planning to attend to this on your own?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Heading to my local corvette mechanic to have it diagnosed, he does GMPP, so hopefully it will be covered. It really isn't a great design that requires a tire to be removed to replace a headlight bulb. Made even worse when it takes specialized equipment to safely raise the car to take the tire off - not a job for the casual do-it yourselfer. I'll let you know tomorrow what the verdict it.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:02 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by acthegiant
Heading to my local corvette mechanic to have it diagnosed, he does GMPP, so hopefully it will be covered. It really isn't a great design that requires a tire to be removed to replace a headlight bulb. Made even worse when it takes specialized equipment to safely raise the car to take the tire off - not a job for the casual do-it yourselfer. I'll let you know tomorrow what the verdict it.
still flickering?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:23 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by acthegiant
Tell those that have to take their front bumper cover off to change the headlight bulb (Cadillac CTS, for one). Changing the bulb in the Vette is a piece of cake!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:44 AM
acthegiant
Instructor

Default Flickering Headlight Update - Its the ballast

Verdict is in and in this case my flickering headlight problem was the ballast.
Good news is GMPP covers ballast.

Bad news is, well if you are going to replace the ballast you should also replace the bulb, and if you are going to replace one bulb, consensus is you should replace both so the light pattern/coloring is same.

At $180 plus each for the GM bulbs, I have gone with aftermarket HIDs at about $90 for the pair, lets hope they hold up.

In the end net cost out of pocket will be $90.00 for two bulbs and .7 hour for changing one bulb (thats shop rate).

As for the gentleman that says its easy to go DIY. I won't argue the point if you have the equipment to raise the car safely.

The process requires removing the front wheel, then pulling 3 snaps that hold the cover to the headlight compartment (in the fender well), then pulling the cover off, then removing two #10 torx screws, then unplugging the old light, plugging in new light, putting it all back together. Then repeat for the other side.

Unfortunately, you HAVE to get your head in there to see where those torx screws are to pull them and put them back. W/O a lift (vs a jack) I didn't like the vision of my fat head being squashed between the fender well and a big a... brake rotor if the jack/jackstands topple or collapse. Score one for my Corvette mechanic.

The moral here, is flicker doesn't always = bulb, but in the end if you have to replace the ballast, the bulbs will probably need to also be replaced.

Now on to that fricking clutch...

Get notified of new replies

To Flickering Headlight (HID)?

Quick Reply: Flickering Headlight (HID)?