C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks couldn't tell on phone screen.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I stand corrected.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:30 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're serious about this I suggest you talk to Chuck at CoW... he's does the Edelbrocks and he can put a serious tune on your ride as well... check him out (in Tune and Perf.)... my ten cents.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:19 PM
teuhl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally brought ATOMIC8 back to Atlanta from Charlotte yesterday. I averaged about 26 mpg driving at 75 to 80 mph for the 280 mile trip with the Edelbrock. Had a couple of wide open stretches that I hit it and it took off like a rocket. I am really happy with the install and performance. Kiwi lowered the car also. Not sure if the front is too low. He indicated that he lowered front and back about 1". Measures 26.5" at rear and 25" front from floor to top edge of fender. The rake looks great. Would like to know how this compares to others that have lowered their car.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:09 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Car looks great, glad to hear it coming together. Adding boost to anything can be stressful but cool as $hit once its complete.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:13 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Op, you would be thousands of $$ ahead by just adding heads, intake, headers and a cam. Not to mention you'll make just as much power, have no heat issues, and be more reliable. Just my .02
Old 01-30-2012, 01:26 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOMC6
Op, you would be thousands of $$ ahead by just adding heads, intake, headers and a cam. Not to mention you'll make just as much power, have no heat issues, and be more reliable. Just my .02
Hmm.Now I"m curious to know which would more likely suffer a catastrophic engine failure.I"m no wrench but my guess would be the approach above.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:36 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default We've been doing E-Force Superchargers....

We've been doing E-Force Superchargers since they first came out.

I much prefer the "ROOTS" type blowers. The E-Force is "PURPOSE BUILT"

supercharger by EDELBROCK. Edelbrock is a massive company with the resources

to develop something from the ground up. They even have an optional powertrain warranty.

Edelbrock Superchargers make boost down low where a street car needs it most.

Most blowers people use have have a very short service life of only a few thousand miles

and re-builds are somewhat common....

The Edelbrock E-Force has a 100,000 mile service interval for changing the fluids. Any questions?

Click this link for a nice E-Force story...

Another E-Force story...This car is NUTS, but shows the E-FORCE has BIG POTENTIAL.

If you have any E-FORCE questions, feel free to call me any time.

Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 01-30-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:17 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rob62
Hmm.Now I"m curious to know which would more likely suffer a catastrophic engine failure.I"m no wrench but my guess would be the approach above.
Not to get off topic, but, a F/I engine is far more likely to have issues do to various factors such as heat and a significant increase in cylinder pressure just to name a couple. And I have a boosted C6.

Don't get me wrong, F/I is awesome. But if 500whp is your goal, there are alternatives for thousands less and will be less likely to suffer reliability issues along with the dificulties of simple component changes/repairs etc when you have a blower/turbos, intercooler etc in the way. Just food for thought.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:26 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default That's EXACTLY why we LOVE THE E-FORCE.

Not to get off topic, but, a F/I engine is far more likely to have issues do to various factors such as heat and a significant increase in cylinder pressure just to name a couple. And I have a boosted C6.

Don't get me wrong, F/I is awesome. But if 500whp is your goal, there are alternatives for thousands less and will be less likely to suffer reliability issues along with the dificulties of simple component changes/repairs etc when you have a blower/turbos, intercooler etc in the way. Just food for thought.
That's EXACTLY why we LOVE THE E-FORCE.

For your average "599 kit" or 6-7psi E-FORCE INSTALL, you won't have any of those problems

and your car will run and drive just like stock....but FASTER!

The power # that other "somewhat" comparable mods offer come with a price....

That is RELIABILITY, EMISSIONS COMPLIANCE, idle quality, funny smells, etc....

Trust me. You can't go wrong with an E-Force!
Chuck CoW
Old 01-30-2012, 04:41 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW

For your average "599 kit" or 6-7psi E-FORCE INSTALL, you won't have any of those problems

Chuck CoW
I don't have a habit o agreeing with vendors since their comments are usually biased, but I agree with this above. I was seriously thinking about changing the cam, adding a header and a tune, but I am not sure if it is the most reliable path. Valvetrain stress increases substantially with a cam, and you're even supposed to change the valve-springs every so often and hope that they don't give up before you get to replace them. In short, I'm not sure if cammed cars are reliable.

Going back to supercharged cars, how reliable are they? Fine, E-force might not heat soak right away at the street where you do a pull every once in a while, but what about the (road course) track? I am thinking about adding E-force to my '12 GS, but I fear that it will cause troubles and/or heat soak at the track. I plan to attend quite a bit of road course track days this spring/summer, so it's quite important to me.

Do you guys have any experience using e-force at the road course tracks?

Last edited by X25; 01-30-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:55 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozer
I don't have a habit o agreeing with vendors since their comments are usually biased, but I agree with this above. I was seriously thinking about changing the cam, adding a header and a tune, but I am not sure if it is the most reliable path. Valvetrain stress increases substantially with a cam, and you're even supposed to change the valve-springs every so often and hope that they don't give up before you get to replace them. In short, I'm not sure if cammed cars are reliable.

Going back to supercharged cars, how reliable are they? Fine, E-force might not heat soak right away at the street where you do a pull every once in a while, but what about the (road course) track? I am thinking about adding E-force to my '12 GS, but I fear that it will cause troubles and/or heat soak at the track. I plan to attend quite a bit of road course track days this spring/summer, so it's quite important to me.

I couldn't imagine any type of positive-displacement blower being good for the track (with regards to heat), but it's not something you can't work around.

Plan on lots of cooling mods. I have a centri blower and will have meth injection, external engine-oil cooler, external trans cooler and running 100% water + water wetter in the radiator before I do my next track day (first track day since the blower install).
Old 01-30-2012, 07:07 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Chuck CoW
I get it you are in the business to make money and I respect that. But eforce is not the only emission compliant SC on the market (if your state requires it). It is also the most expensive (from a retail standpoint) once you add in install cost. Hmmm I smell higher profit margins. Although it's certainly understandable considering you are in it business to make a profit.

It also produces the least amount of power when running the same amount of boost vs A&A's ECS etc. The last eforce graph I reviewed (and I’ve seen several) on a bone stock engine, showed it took a whopping 14psi to make just over 600rwhp! How is that good for the consumer’s stand point???

Anyone claiming either of the above mentioned two kits is anything but reliable versus another SC kit is a silly argument at best.
Have you been in the FI section on here (or several other forums) and seen the number of post regarding issues with the eforce? Some of those have been resolved but still...

Since you brought up driveability, I guess we have a different interpretation of "drive like stock". Try sitting in traffic with a F/I car in the summer for extended periods while running the ac. Or, try running on a road course against a NA LSx motor and see which one has heat issues, suffers a significant power loss etc first. I tell ya what, it will not be the H/C car.

Honestly, for the amount of money, I fail to see the value in the eforce other than its a big money maker for the reseller.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:49 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

A cammed LS2 LS3 etc car can be VERY reliable (with-in certain parameters of course) if set-up correctly. Running a good dual spring and hardened pushrod is mandatory IMHO. With the quality of the metals they use now a days, swapping the valve springs every 30-40k miles on a street driven car with an aftermarket cam is a thing of the past.

A stock LS engine with Forced induction can last for many many miles at 7, 8, 9 psi. As mentioned above, for a road course the biggest challenge is you will need to make changes/upgrades to combat heat. Extended high speeds and high RPMs takes its toll. Example: I can out run my buddy’s bolt on Zo6 in just about any situation. However I soon found out, once we hit high speeds for a lengthy period it was game over for me. Even running dual intercoolers, the drop in power is quite significant given time. At the track, I just go the cooler months and limit laps to 3-4 per session.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by teuhl
Finally brought ATOMIC8 back to Atlanta from Charlotte yesterday. I averaged about 26 mpg driving at 75 to 80 mph for the 280 mile trip with the Edelbrock. Had a couple of wide open stretches that I hit it and it took off like a rocket. I am really happy with the install and performance. Kiwi lowered the car also. Not sure if the front is too low. He indicated that he lowered front and back about 1". Measures 26.5" at rear and 25" front from floor to top edge of fender. The rake looks great. Would like to know how this compares to others that have lowered their car.

Tom I think you are going to find that nose to be too low. With the added weight of the supercharger and the lowering it is just a matter of time until your radiator cradle "kisses" the pavement..whether it be a pot hole, speed bump or inclined driveway. If it were mine, I'd bring it back up a bit.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:32 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Suggestion.....

I have no personal experience at a road course with an E-force....

There are tables you can use to mitigate the effects of heat soak in your tune, but

you might want to check out the latest post I made in the FI section...

CLICK HERE FOR THE LINK TO THE E-FORCE THREAD.

In this build, we wanted NO HEAT SOAK....

So, we moved stuff around to permit a second liquid to air intercooler and the necessary

plumbing. Between the plumbing and the extra intercooler and the high volume intercooler

pump we doubled the intercooler's system volume and with the 4x extra pump volume,

this thing CAN NOT HEAT SOAK. It also runs a cooler IAT (intake air temp) and also

RECOVERS MUCH FASTER than the stock E-Force system does.

You CAN have your EGGS and EAT THEM too.

Chuck CoW
Old 01-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I have no personal experience at a road course with an E-force....

There are tables you can use to mitigate the effects of heat soak in your tune, but

you might want to check out the latest post I made in the FI section...

CLICK HERE FOR THE LINK TO THE E-FORCE THREAD.

In this build, we wanted NO HEAT SOAK....

So, we moved stuff around to permit a second liquid to air intercooler and the necessary

plumbing. Between the plumbing and the extra intercooler and the high volume intercooler

pump we doubled the intercooler's system volume and with the 4x extra pump volume,

this thing CAN NOT HEAT SOAK. It also runs a cooler IAT (intake air temp) and also

RECOVERS MUCH FASTER than the stock E-Force system does.

You CAN have your EGGS and EAT THEM too.

Chuck CoW
Yeah but you never presented any photos of the cooling system upgrades! .....corporate secrets?

Meziere 20gpm pump?

Last edited by Motorhead-47; 01-30-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Edelbrock Supercharger

Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

showed it took a whopping 14psi to make just over 600rwhp!
It doesn't take 14psi to make 600rwhp! 600rwhp was easily done two years ago at 7psi. You are taking a single outlier install that you read about on the internet and are attempting to make it appear to be the norm..stop being a hater.

633/575

Old 01-30-2012, 10:16 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a mustang with a KB at 10 psi and had no problems at all with heat on road courses. I would even run the AC once in a while on days when the temp was around 100f. I suspect the Edelbrock will be fine on track days. The tq of the Edelbrock off the corners would be good as you don't need to rev the engine to redline.

If your a hard core track day guy that doesn't drive it on the street, I would rather go with a centri or turbo setup or go big time NA.

The best thing about a roots type blower is no one knows its there until you step on it.

Last edited by rayk; 01-30-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:01 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by teuhl
I am considering having a supercharger installed my 2008 Vette - Automatic. I would like to hear pros / cons regarding this.

Feel free to give us a call if you would like to discuss all your options from an E-Force to centri. 609-752-0321

Originally Posted by cthusker
To each their own.. Have my E-Force over a year with ZERO problems. Good system but not the max HP you can get from a SC. I like the factory look and did not want tubes and pipes running all over the engine compartment. It's really a personal choice and how much HP/boost you are looking for. I prefer lower boost, instant torque and factory look. I got 525 rwhp which moves my vette along quite briskly when asked.... It sure smokes up my 325's at anything under 60 mph....

Great to hear your enjoying your ECS installed E-Force Chuck!

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Supercharger