C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove quarter panel for paint repair? Sort of long

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:53 PM
cegusa
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Remove quarter panel for paint repair? Sort of long

Just posted photos of my 1 week old TR 2011 GS and already have some bad news to report. I already picked up a ding/scratch on the left quarter panel just behind the fuel door. After getting over the initial trauma, I started to consider my options. I've spent a few years in the auto repair industry and am pretty handy with a buffer. Spent some time with it this afternoon and got it a bunch better than it was but part of the scratch (quarter inch or so) is down to the primer. I know that in the time ahead, there may be others but since this is so brand spankin' new and I'll see it every time I open the door or get gas, I'm seriously considering a repair. Took it to a Chevy dealer here in NC and had them take a peek. They are suggesting taking the quarter panel off to do the repair/refinish to avoid masking and having the car in the paint area. Sounds reasonable to me and I appreciate the thought process to keep this down to just the small repair area that it is and not exposing the car further. Looks like they can do a small spot repair/blend and clear the panel for a match. Any thoughts on the repair process suggestion of removing the quarter panel? What about a paint match with the Torch Red? The shop manager is extremely confident I won't be able to tell. I know some may say leave it cause there will be others and it can happen as soon as you pull out of the lot. I am considering my options it but I keep flip flopping since it makes me sick to keep looking at it. What kills me about this is I was pulling out of my subdivision and saw they were cutting grass down the road with a tractor. Decided not to go that way and less than a mile or two later in the opposite direction, an oncoming car shot up a rock or stick. I saw it coming but couldn't avoid it.
Also, any recommendation for other shops in the Raleigh area?

Thanks
Old 10-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

The blending of the Red and clearing the whole 1/4 panel will be no problem at all. Removing the 1/4 panel?? Who is paying that labor? You? If so, it's your money, if your ok with paying the extra, then there is nothing wrong with taking it off, but I was head painter at GM shop for 13 years and there is no way I would be taking off the 1/4 panel and...I guarantee you would never know the difference except in your wallet.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:23 AM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
The blending of the Red and clearing the whole 1/4 panel will be no problem at all. Removing the 1/4 panel?? Who is paying that labor? You? If so, it's your money, if your ok with paying the extra, then there is nothing wrong with taking it off, but I was head painter at GM shop for 13 years and there is no way I would be taking off the 1/4 panel and...I guarantee you would never know the difference except in your wallet.
Excellent Racer....I am pretty sure you will also win your 5th avatar award
Old 10-08-2011, 03:30 AM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

If it were my car, I'd at least try to repair it using Torch Red touch-up paint. Fill the 1/4" scratch, let it dry, hand buff off the excess. The scratch will probably not be totally filled, so apply more paint, buff, etc. until it's filled. I think the GM touch up paints have some clear mixed in, so you may not have to clear coat it. I've had great luck with their touch up paints over the years.

If you're not happy with the results, then you can go to the body shop.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer
If it were my car, I'd at least try to repair it using Torch Red touch-up paint. Fill the 1/4" scratch, let it dry, hand buff off the excess. The scratch will probably not be totally filled, so apply more paint, buff, etc. until it's filled. I think the GM touch up paints have some clear mixed in, so you may not have to clear coat it. I've had great luck with their touch up paints over the years.

I would try everything before actually painting, that should be your last recourse.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by PatriotZ
Excellent Racer....I am pretty sure you will also win your 5th avatar award
5 time champion, I like it!
Old 10-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Taking the quarter panel off or not...either way it shouldn't be that big of a deal just to 'spot' paint a small ding. Sure, the dealership will charge to remove the panel but removing it isn't all that difficult. Conversely, masking-off the car isn't difficult either. I just had a dealership paint a pair of quarter panels for me. The painter wanted the car to blend-paint onto but I wouldn't agree. They had painted two roof panels for me before (without blend painting) and they turned-out fine. I brought them the quarter panels along with the gas filler door to match to. The mag red paint matched just fine. Maybe see what the cost difference is then decide. I've got great DIY instructions if you want to remove the quarter panel yourself (PM me if you want them). Good luck whatever you decide on.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:16 AM
cegusa
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Taking the quarter panel off or not...either way it shouldn't be that big of a deal just to 'spot' paint a small ding. Sure, the dealership will charge to remove the panel but removing it isn't all that difficult. Conversely, masking-off the car isn't difficult either. I just had a dealership paint a pair of quarter panels for me. The painter wanted the car to blend-paint onto but I wouldn't agree. They had painted two roof panels for me before (without blend painting) and they turned-out fine. I brought them the quarter panels along with the gas filler door to match to. The mag red paint matched just fine. Maybe see what the cost difference is then decide. I've got great DIY instructions if you want to remove the quarter panel yourself (PM me if you want them). Good luck whatever you decide on.

R&I of the 1/4 panel is 2.3 hrs so in perspective of the whole job at about 550.00, not a big deal. I did consider taking the 1/4 off myself so I will take you up on your offer of the instructions.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2011, 10:30 AM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer

Excellent advice. I would do the same.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 446 Likes on 383 Posts

I am vote w/ ADL and VIRTUAL

Brush touch, sand, polish.

(You have body shop experience PLUS the car will get additional chips/ scratches as you drive anyway. Save a repaint for major damage).

Also, I would remove the quarter. Clear will go onto the edges (under the bolts in door jam and trunk and between the qtr and bumper). Also insures no overspray onto the undercarriage. Just a better job.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,964 Likes on 5,350 Posts

Originally Posted by cegusa
R&I of the 1/4 panel is 2.3 hrs so in perspective of the whole job at about 550.00, not a big deal. I did consider taking the 1/4 off myself so I will take you up on your offer of the instructions.

Thanks
$550 is a big deal. You can buy a lot of other stuff for that much money especially since you don't need to spend it. Go with the touch up paint first and if you don't like the result then consider repainting the whole panel.

Bill
Old 05-28-2015, 06:45 PM
sal-on-fire
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
hey buddy I'm looking to paint my two rear flared fenders. some auto body shop said they need the car to match the color or else they can't guarantee that it will blend fine.

I'm overseas right now for work and when I come home I just want to throw the painted panels on the car and replace the old ones. if I give the paint shop the color code is my 98 C 5 torch red, do you think it will be ok? when I throw them back on or should I take the whole car in. its my only car during the summer and I don't want to have it in the shop for 3 to 5 days to get this done even though it might not be a huge job. do you recommend that I used to GM dealer to paint the panel instead of the regular auto body shop?
Thanks a lot looking forward to your input
Old 05-28-2015, 08:20 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 355 Posts

Just went through something similar. Scratch on door and rear fender.
The body shop suggested, and the insurance company paid, to remove the front and rear bumper covers, front and rear fenders, and paint both fenders and the door.
This is the only way that they would guarantee a complete color match. They also say that if you don't remove the panels, you will see the clear coat at the joint lines.
So, like I said, the insurance paid for it--about $2200.
If you're paying for it, I would try touch up the scratch. If they paint just 1 fender, you may not be happy with the color match and it may show up more that a scratch repair.

Get notified of new replies

To Remove quarter panel for paint repair? Sort of long

Quick Reply: Remove quarter panel for paint repair? Sort of long