C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Headliner Ripping on 2011 C6, 3rd time!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:51 PM
C6J
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a bulletin on this. My 08 just had it done and GM recommended them change the strings (no clue what these are) with the headliner. No issues so far.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
Update: 11-21-2011, Service Mgr called and said the part is in, appointment made for 11-28 to have it repaired at the top shop, loaner car scheduled, etc. When asked what would be done to keep the problem from happening again he said he has in his possession a lengthy bulletin/guide regarding the top and all of its intricacies. I hope this works.
Was your concern resolved? Please feel free to keep me posted or contact me directly with any questions. Thank you.

Justin, Chevrolet Customer Service.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Was your concern resolved? Please feel free to keep me posted or contact me directly with any questions. Thank you.

Justin, Chevrolet Customer Service.

Justin - I posted the wrong date...off by a month, sorry about that! Thank you for checking though. I'm going to go back and correct it....I have an appointment for *12-28-11*...as in next week....So, will keep you posted. It took right at 3 months for the top to rip again, so I should know by March 2012, which will be just under a year...and the 4th time...hopefully there will *not* be a 4th time...fingers crossed.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Surf2602
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 08, problem was fixed right the first time. They sent it to a local interior shop with the new parts.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:55 AM
Ducguy
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headliner Rip

One good tip is to stay away from Cigar Stores!
Old 12-23-2011, 05:48 AM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

I had the same problem on my '08. I have a manual top and I got the liner replaced by chevrolet via a local shopalso. The shop workers put a couple of minor but noticeable scratches on my paint. And they kept my car for about 4 days. And to top it all off, the thing ripped again not too long after.

There are remedies to prevent it, some people shave the corners of that joint so the point wont catch the fabric. Or you can iron on a black canvas patch where the hole is and the sharp corner wont grab it. Or be like me and leave it alone and just monitor/correct it when operating the top.

I made a thread on this a while back, let me find it and post it up here... It has some owners who show how to remedy the problem.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...liner-rip.html

Last edited by pTr73; 12-23-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ducguy
One good tip is to stay away from Cigar Stores!
LOL...not that I smoke anything BUT the tires in my vette!
Old 01-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

UPDATE:

Took the car to the dealer on December 28, 2011, appointment scheduled for that date, got a nice loaner. Picked up the fixed car on December 30, 2011. Service manager said that many adjustments were made. Oh, they hand washed it too, nice touch.

pTr73 - yes, thank you for posting the thread, I participated in it late in the game. I'm not going to make any mods to it - I'd rather just let the dealer handle it. Now, if I was going to keep the car out of warranty, that would be a different thing. BTW - this is the 3rd fix...so, time number 4 and I will insist that GM fix it...I believe that is the next step in the Texas Lemon Law...not that I want to go down that road, fingers crossed that their fix will work. I really do like the car.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:03 PM
BLD.70DRIVERMPG-RET.
Racer

Just a little update on the Lemon law, if you thinking that was an out. When I bought my 2010 there was a 500.00 discount added in at the time. It also voided you from the lemon law if you signed it. No worries , my top was fixed proper the first time. I went all summer and no issues. Good luck with your top.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Captain Buddha,
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your car. However, I'm glad everything worked out for you at the dealership. Let us know if you have any further problems.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin

UPDATE:

Took the car to the dealer on December 28, 2011, appointment scheduled for that date, got a nice loaner. Picked up the fixed car on December 30, 2011. Service manager said that many adjustments were made. Oh, they hand washed it too, nice touch.

pTr73 - yes, thank you for posting the thread, I participated in it late in the game. I'm not going to make any mods to it - I'd rather just let the dealer handle it. Now, if I was going to keep the car out of warranty, that would be a different thing. BTW - this is the 3rd fix...so, time number 4 and I will insist that GM fix it...I believe that is the next step in the Texas Lemon Law...not that I want to go down that road, fingers crossed that their fix will work. I really do like the car.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Justin,

Thank you. If/when this happens the 4th time* I will be sure to get in touch with you as I plan on elevating it to the GM Rep Level.

*hopefully not
Old 01-04-2012, 12:09 PM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Captain Buddha,
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your car. However, I'm glad everything worked out for you at the dealership. Let us know if you have any further problems.

Justin
Hello,

I had my top fixed via a local shop from a dealer. It torn again not too long after it was fixed. I think the problem lies in when the top is being lifted up, it flexes making the fabric grab a corner of the plastic molding near the hinges. I didnt get it fixed a second time fearing it would only rip again. The top hinges itself should have been re-designed. I noticed this happens more to manual tops than auto tops since the auto top is lifted evenly. When I pull my top up I try to grab the center of it as I lift to avoid it flexing to one side where the fabric can grab. I am not dissatisfied with my car, and honestly I am glad this is my only problem instead of some power or drivetrain mess! I hope GM rectifies this minor glitch in future vert models.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2012, 12:10 PM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

UPDATE:

Your welcome, keep us posted!
Old 01-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Originally Posted by pTr73
Hello,

I had my top fixed via a local shop from a dealer. It torn again not too long after it was fixed. I think the problem lies in when the top is being lifted up, it flexes making the fabric grab a corner of the plastic molding near the hinges. I didnt get it fixed a second time fearing it would only rip again. The top hinges itself should have been re-designed. I noticed this happens more to manual tops than auto tops since the auto top is lifted evenly. When I pull my top up I try to grab the center of it as I lift to avoid it flexing to one side where the fabric can grab. I am not dissatisfied with my car, and honestly I am glad this is my only problem instead of some power or drivetrain mess! I hope GM rectifies this minor glitch in future vert models.

Thanks
Thank you for the additional feedback. I have noted your concerns and will be sure to pass your comments along to the proper department. Please feel free to contact me directly for further assistance. Thank you again.
Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

***UPDATED***
4th occurrence, Wednesday, February 2, 2012, ~7K miles: Putting the top up after getting to work this morning, caught/ripped again! Calling the Texas DMV Lemon Law Hotline to explore my options.

I'm pretty sure that after FOUR times a reasonable person can draw these conclusions:
#1 - the dealer/convertible top shop is incompetent and does not have a clue how to fix it permanently (I do not think this is the case, but apparently they have *not* been able to fix it correctly/permanently).

#2 - the vehicle's convertible top/headliner mechanism is defective and cannot be fixed. (this is what I believe it is).

#3 - I am a complete idiot and do *not* know how to operate a power convertible top (hey, it's idiot-proof, right? LOL).

So, who has experience with the Lemon Law, especially in Texas? Trying to figure out my options. Replacement? Stay with a convertible? Go with a coupe? Gotta do some thinking/research.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:23 PM
bearman95
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When we first purchased our 2011 vert the right side of the top snagged on the plactic runners at the top. This was simular to catching a piece of clothing on something and pulling out a couple of threads. I cut the pulled threads and took sandpaper and smoothed off the runners on both sides. The runners appeared to have very sharp rough edges on them and the sanding took care of it. Have not had any more problems since then and have used the power top a lot.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:33 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Reminds me of my BMW 328 experience...freakin top would get stuck between up and down ...they fixed it 3-4 times before we got rid of the car....what a PITA

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Headliner Ripping on 2011 C6, 3rd time!

Old 02-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Captain Buddha,

Justin

Justin,

I have sent you a PM on this as well. I been in touch with Chevy Customer Service via phone, the person contacted the dealership but it was after hours, a message was left and the person from Chevy Customer Service said he will call me tomorrow with a resolution. Here's the case #71-1035591343. I appreciate any and all help.

I have also talked to the Texas DMV regarding the Lemon Law and my situation, they tell me I have a case based on the info that I gave them. I would rather not go down that road (but I have started to fill out the paperwork/forms just in case), it would be better for all involved if this could be resolved without resorting to that.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:25 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Well, problem solved, traded vehicle in, didn't feel like dealing with it any more, it's still under warranty anyway. Upgraded to a coupe...a 2012 GS Centennial 3lt 6mn and I've gotta tell ya...woo hoo!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:41 AM
BLD.70DRIVERMPG-RET.
Racer

I'm glad your issue is gone. Sad you had to get to this end. I'm a die hard vert man. My headliner fix worked the first time and two years later I have not had a repeat. Enjoy the coupe.

Quick Reply: Convertible Headliner Ripping on 2011 C6, 3rd time!