C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-23-2015, 06:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Review of the Ceramic Brake Pads from O'Reilly

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 01:35 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Tomorrow will tell the tale, If I need rotors **ouch** I'll have to deal with it . Hoping to flush my old fluid too. Today I felt the rotors with my fingertips, no huge grooves...

I have no symptoms of any noise or weird feel on the old brakes.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:03 AM
KyJim
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

let us know how it turns out

Old 02-06-2016, 11:55 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

New pads are in..turned out I did not need rears, and my rotors were fine. I got the front pads replaced with the ceramics and the fluid flushed for less than 2 bills OTD. I returned the rears for $59.00 refund..

So all good news, plus the mech noticed my front top shock bolts weren't tightened snug completely..(Grrr I just paid a different shop good $$$ to install them.)

Car feels great with firm pedal.

Last edited by SaxyVette; 02-06-2016 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:27 AM
KyJim
Pro

you got lucky and got out cheep.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:55 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Check out my "Low Buck" thread in the C5 genl' forum for the full story on this car.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:11 PM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm going with Autozone Duralast Gold Ceramic padlets. I put them on my former 2012 GS and they were awesome, very low dust and no squeaks (you just have to break them in).

Duralast Gold/Brake Pads - Front
Price: $54.99
Part Number: DG1419
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Notes: *OE Performance with smooth, quiet stopping power, ultra-low dust *12 pads per set Ceramic

Duralast Gold/Brake Pads - Rear
Part Number: DG1419A
Notes: *OE Performance with smooth, quiet stopping power, ultra-low dust *8 pads per set Ceramic

//MT
Old 02-08-2016, 08:27 AM
KyJim
Pro

Originally Posted by MTsVette
I'm going with Autozone Duralast Gold Ceramic padlets. I put them on my former 2012 GS and they were awesome, very low dust and no squeaks (you just have to break them in).

Duralast Gold/Brake Pads - Front
Part Number: DG1419
Notes: *OE Performance with smooth, quiet stopping power, ultra-low dust *12 pads per set Ceramic

Duralast Gold/Brake Pads - Rear
Part Number: DG1419A
Notes: *OE Performance with smooth, quiet stopping power, ultra-low dust *8 pads per set Ceramic

//MT

what advantage are the padlets over the regular pads ? seems there would be less surface area of the brake pad ?
Old 02-08-2016, 12:48 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

WTF is a "padlet" ?? my O'Reilly front ceramic pads cost me $100. Hope i didn't get ripped.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:32 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Padlets are individual pads (per piston) instead single pad per caliper side, 6 padlets per caliper front, 4 per rear on a Grandsport.
The following users liked this post:
SaxyVette (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 01:34 PM
KyJim
Pro

padlets are around $55, and are 4 small pads on each rotor instead of the two larger pads you had installed.
I don't know what the padlet advantages are that's why I asked.
I know a lot of vette owners are installing them when they change out their brake pads.

I'm a long way from needing brakes as I only have 10,000 miles on my car, but I try to learn as much as I can.
SaxyVette (02-08-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 04:03 PM
maddog07
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brakebest Select Ceramic padlets

I saw this thread a few months ago after I bought my first vette, a 2013 GS 6-sp manual with 12k miles. I quickly learned the dust from the OEM pads was completely unacceptable. Not to mention it looked like the rotors were starting to get ate to boot. Literally, 20 miles after cleaning the front wheels, they were covered again, spokes, barrels, dust stuck in tire dressing, down the side of the car - a complete disaster. Took about twice as long for the rears to "dust up" compared to the fronts, but still unacceptable in my mind for my "weekend fair weather, me and the Mrs. cruiser car".

So I went down to my local O'Reilly's, given what I had read here earlier, and ordered the Brakebest Select Ceramics(made by Bosch). They "appear" to be a very high quality product. Installed them about 500 miles ago. Dust is darned near zero. No noise of any kind so far, and even the rotors are starting to take on a smoother, more even coloration. Whereas before there was this streaking pattern thing going on, following the orientation of the cross-drilled holes.
I don't track my car(never will), but as far as I can tell there is no degradation to braking performance. Pedal is still quite firm, initial bite is essentially the same as far as I can tell, pedal modulation about the same. I can't differentiate these from the OEM's, except my wheels, the fender wells and down the side of the car behind the tires is not covered with brake dust all the time anymore. Highly recommended, under the conditions that I drive this car.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:40 PM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by KyJim
what advantage are the padlets over the regular pads ? seems there would be less surface area of the brake pad ?
I'm not sure if there are any advantages or disadvantages with the padlets vs one-piece. I went with padlets since that type was on the car.

//MT
Old 02-25-2016, 03:39 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

In theory, individual padlets allow for improved material contact and provide less heat transfer from the pads to the caliper pistons.

How quantifiable these improvements would be is a discussion topic unto its own.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:53 PM
maddog07
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure if there are any advantages or disadvantages with the padlets vs one-piece. I went with padlets since that type was on the car.

//MT
Grand Sports and Z06's have "padlets". For one thing, the padlet/caliper design facilitates being able to more quickly and easily replace the pads from perhaps a street pad to a track pad and back... for the weekend warriors who drive their car to the track, race it, then drive it back home. Because the calipers Do Not have to be removed to replace the padlets in this design.

You cannot install one piece pads on the padlet calipers, unless one of two conditions are met:
  1. the one piece pads you purchase have holes in the backing plates "and" the pad material for the padlet/caliper guide pins to go thru, or
  2. you take out the padlet/caliper guide pins and leave them out, when you install one piece pads. This means there would be four empty holes visible in the front outside brake calipers - which would look strange at the least.

whether or not there is a performance advantage to the padlet design on the GS' and Z06, I do not know. I suppose that the padlet design having more exposed edges might be able to dissipate heat and evacuate generated pad/rotor dust better. But I don't really know. One would think that there must be some performance advantage to the design, why else would GM put it on the GS and Z06 models and not the base? If you google this, you will find "weeks" worth of reading and discussion on this topic. All I ever saw was "opinions" - I couldn't find any objective facts or test results presented. If some exist, I'd like to read it myself.

Carbotech makes one piece pads for the GS and Z06, that have the holes in the backing plates and brake compound material. I believe Hawk and others do as well.
Redbeard77 (03-20-2019)
Old 02-25-2016, 06:35 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

//MT
Original Carbotech press release for the 1 piece.

We have finished our redesign of our C6 Z06 One Piece pad for the front and rear stock calipers (PBR Calipers). We were the first to release the padlets almost four years ago, and then we were the first to release the One Piece over a year ago. That design that we worked with GM on wasn't perfect. That's the same design you see other companies using now.

We set out to redesign the new One Piece all on our own. We wanted to make sure it was perfect and even more user friendly. This new design will drop right into the caliper and you don't have to take out the caliper pins or spring clips. The spring clips are critical in keeping the brake pad square to the rotor surface and ensuring that the pads slide smoothly along the pins. The spring clips also assist in reducing the noise inside the caliper.

This new one piece will make changing pads a lot faster and easier. The newly designed Carbotech One Piece will give longer pad life and a little more bite as well. We are molding the new One Piece pad just like we do with all the C6, C5, and C4 brake pads.

We are also using industry leading NRS technology. If you're not familiar with NRS technology it gives molded pads up to 8 times stronger sheer strength vs. conventional molded brake pads and riveted pads. NRS technology also helps in reducing noise and vibration of the brake pad inside the caliper as well as aiding in longer wearing pads. We use NRS technology on all C6 & C5 front and rear brake pads.

Here is a link to explain further what NRS technology is exactly: http://www.nrsbrakes.com
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 02-25-2016, 10:24 PM
CHEV AGAIN
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

>> the one piece pads you purchase have holes in the backing plates "and" the pad material for the padlet/caliper guide pins to go thru, or
you take out the padlet/caliper guide pins and leave them out, when you install one piece pads. This means there would be four empty holes visible in the front outside brake calipers - which would look strange at the least.<<

They have plugs for the threaded holes in the calipers, you would never know the difference looks wise.

Mark
Old 02-29-2016, 04:03 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Thank you all for the orders we appreciate it. Keep the phone calls, Emails, and PM’s coming we appreciate the opportunity to work with all of you. We are open until 9PM Monday through Thursday. Friday and Saturday until 6PM and always 24/7 at http://ampdautosport.com/brake-pads/corvette/ use promo code z28 at check out to receive your forum discount.

Amp’D Autosport.com
Internet's largest retailer of Carbotech Performance Brake Pads.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:21 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by CENT Z06
Are they 1 piece or the padlets ?
I didn't know they made one piece for the six piston calipers ???
Old 03-02-2016, 10:47 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Mikado463
I didn't know they made one piece for the six piston calipers ???
For years now Carbotech was the first.

Quick Reply: Review of the Ceramic Brake Pads from O'Reilly