C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F55 Magnetic Selective Ride question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Default F55 Magnetic Selective Ride question?

Not questioning the value and utility of the option just whether or not other than the shocks or larger brake rotors which can be ordered as J55 on Base car are the other F55 component parts for brakes and suspension much different than what comes standard with Base and Grand Sport models? Everything is oversized already with GS so what would need to be added other than the shocks for touring and sport mode but perhaps their is more to it than that? Thanks!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:52 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

I'll offer a little information on the way the system works in the text below. It is not just about shock size and how they compare to the other shock and suspension packages on the models. All C6 Corvettes have shocks and transverse mounted leaf springs. Each of the models has specific springs, specific shocks and sway bars designed to enhance the ride and performance (and eliminate the trade-offs between the two). That is where the similarity ends between the MSRC and conventional shocks.

The MSRC is a lot more than the sum of it's parts. For me, the magnetic selective ride control is worth every penny when you consider what it is, what it does and how it works. I hope to never own another Corvette that doesn't have it.

The system has two modes, sport for a firmer ride and tighter cornering and tour for a softer ride. The shocks are like traditional shocks but they are filled with a magnetically active fluid. This fluid called magnetorheological, has iron particles suspended in the fluid. Outside the shock body there are electromagnets attached that are used to align the iron particles in the shock and by moving the particles they change the apparent viscosity of the fluid which in turn causes a softer or firmer shock bump and rebound.

The shock also has an active component in that sensors on the shock body monitor the movement of the shock and again by changing the viscosity of the fluid with the magnets work to keep the wheels on the road surface during periods of uneven terrain and bumps. By changing the way the shock moves it can help it react to changing road conditions and isolate the driver from those changes by adjusting the shocks. It makes these readings and adjustments 1,000 times per second.

The last component of the MSRC (magnetic selective ride control) is it's integration with the active handling system. During hard cornering or periods when the car is losing traction the system will firm up or soften a particular shock to aide in regaining traction or helping with the turn.

The car will have two very different handling characteristics and feel between the two modes if you know what you are looking for. If you don't, you may not notice it. The sport mode when used on the highway will let you feel every expansion joint on the highway and road surface dips and imperfections but it will have less body roll during cornering. In tour mode those bumps and expansion joints will be much more smooth and less noticeable. Changing between the two modes and moving the steering wheel side to side rapidly you should feel a difference in the amount of roll or lean that you feel in the body.

Lastly, it isn't something that can be added after the fact. It either comes from the factory with it, or it doesn't. It is a programmed, electronically controlled semi-active suspension. You can't just bolt on the shocks and call it magnetic ride. In addition to the springs and Magneto-rheological shocks which could be purchased, It needs a contol system and the hooks in the active handling software to interface with the shocks. If you don't get installed upfront, those things can't be integrated at a later time.

Last edited by talon90; 02-13-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:12 PM
CBRXX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice writeup explaining the shocks!

The springs & sway bars I think are the same as on non F55 GS, correct??

The GS Coupe, only with manual trans and F55, also gets the Gen2 tires as discussed in this other recent thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-2012-g-s.html
Old 02-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks Talon90 for the comments. I am on Corvette No 4 and they all pre dated the option. Other Corvettes didn't have 436HP either. Think Magnetic Selective Ride came out in 03 with the 50th car. Didn't get it on my 2011 because I felt it was more a nice to have rather than a need. I am second guessing myself a bit. I will get it on the next Corvette for sure. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:01 PM
kedar
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

talon90, what do you think about adding z51 sway bars to f55 suspension?
Old 02-13-2012, 11:42 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

There have been several threads recently on this option, yes or no. Post 2 should go a long way in convincing the naysayers about this option. If you want it get it, if you dont then dont. Yes, its an expensive option but well worth it in all that it does. And with all that it does most of us arnt even aware of what it is doing while its doing it. I keep saying that I feel this current option should be made standard equipment. Its that good. I really hope the C7 makes this standard equipment. The system can, in certain situations, keep you from losing control of the car before the driver even knows that there is a problem. The fluid action acts much much faster than a person can usually react. Its a fantastic option. I certainly dont know anywhere near as much as Talon90 does but I do know the option is a very good safety option. These Corvettes are very powerful and they can be overdriven and when that is done this option is well worth the price.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:36 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by talon90
The system has two modes, sport for a firmer ride and tighter cornering and tour for a softer ride. The shocks are like traditional shocks but they are filled with a magnetically active fluid. This fluid called magnetorheological, has iron particles suspended in the fluid. Outside the shock body there are electromagnets attached that are used to align the iron particles in the shock and by moving the particles they change the apparent viscosity of the fluid which in turn causes a softer or firmer shock bump and rebound.

The shock also has an active component in that sensors on the shock body monitor the movement of the shock and again by changing the viscosity of the fluid with the magnets work to keep the wheels on the road surface during periods of uneven terrain and bumps. By changing the way the shock moves it can help it react to changing road conditions and isolate the driver from those changes by adjusting the shocks. It makes these readings and adjustments 1,000 times per second.
Unless the more recent models ('11-'12) have different shocks, the electromagnetic coil is internal rather than external and the position sensor is independently mounted on the cradle with a link to the A-frame, not on the shock body. Can you confirm a change in configuration and when the change was made?
Old 02-14-2012, 03:12 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kedar
Not talon90, but I have a 2011 base coupe with F55 and I've added Z51 springs front and rear with the rubber bushings. I'm still running the OEM front spring.

I run 1 PSI higher in the front tires than the rear, and a half PSI higher on the driver side than the passenger side, so my fronts are a 33/32.5 and my rears are at 32/31.5 PSI. I run zero toe front and rear, -1 degree camber up front, -0.6 degrees in the back. At the limit, which is right at 1G with the terrible GS-2 tires, and with the F55 in sport mode, the balance is very slightly understeering, and can be very easily and controllable turned to slight oversteer or a bit more understeer depending on throttle. It is what I would consider to be at a sweet spot in handling.

If you autocross or HPDE this setup, the major problem will probably be a bit more brake dive than you'd want, but that helps the front tire stick on turn-in also. It seems to be just a matter of smoothly transitioning off the brakes to even out pressure on the outside tires to regain the handling balance.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:01 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

One thing no one seems to have mentioned yet is there is another controller (computer) for running the shocks. It is mounted on the firewall in the passenger wheel well. Pretty difficult to add later.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:00 AM
surburban99
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the F55 package on my 2008 Coupe. If I ever get any Corvette, it will have the F55 package. I love it.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've accumulated some good information on the controlled, MR suspension. If you're interested PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. It's worth reading IMO.

A picture is worth a thousand words.........

Old 02-14-2012, 10:33 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

You had me at....Magnetorheological!!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Shysterman69
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Had it on my 08' and ordered it on my '11. I too will never own a corvette without it... I have an autocross setup on my '95 TransAm and while I love the car, it rides a little rough for passengers in the car. My GS handles every bit as good as my TransAm (Street tires vs. Street tires) and with the F55 the highway crusing is 100% better in the vette. If I were only tracking my GS then I would have went another route, but if you drive it on the street in my opinion the F55 is well worth the money, simply a great technology...
Old 02-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Slare
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Don't think I'd bother with it on a garage queen. However if you plan on putting real miles and long trips on the car then I think it is worth it.

I live in Michigan and do most of my driving in Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana where the roads are less than ideal. I also take ~3 hour trips fairly often. F55 is well worth it for me.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:16 AM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Slare
Don't think I'd bother with it on a garage queen. However if you plan on putting real miles and long trips on the car then I think it is worth it.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:00 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I have the magnetic shocks on my 08.

BUT, having driven Porsche's for 30 years, I learned to love the Koni shock. It's a great smooth riding shock. When the shocks wear out on my 08 Vette...I have now 70k miles...I have no option to replace with Koni's or any other aftermarket shock..

Sometimes I think I made a mistake with the MSRC.

I love the ride in my 1987 Porsche 944 with 300k miles and Koni's.

With MSRC I either feel body roll on the Tour setting, or too stiff on the Sport setting. I think perhaps Koni's would have been the perfect compromise. BUT all this is just conjecture. I'd have to drive a C6 Vette with Koni's installed to know what the difference may be.

For now...I am confused.

BUT, the C6 is an astonishing car. It's handling is superb, the color is amazing, the seats LOUSY. My dealership, Barton Birks in Newburgh, NY - wonderful.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Here's something else I've personally noticed with the F55 suspension.

I'm trying (probably stupid, but its fun anyway) to finish wearing out my rear older tires, and I've noticed the the tendency to shudder or "almost" wheel hop goes away when I put the car in sport mode.

I'm assuming the firmer shock setting gets the suspension away from the resonance of the drivetrain.

Soooo, when I get ready to dump the clutch and light up the rears, I set the F55 to sport mode.

Get notified of new replies

To F55 Magnetic Selective Ride question?

Old 02-14-2012, 05:30 PM
CBRXX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joliett
I have the magnetic shocks on my 08.
BUT, having driven Porsche's for 30 years, I learned to love the Koni shock. It's a great smooth riding shock. When the shocks wear out on my 08 Vette...I have now 70k miles...I have no option to replace with Koni's or any other aftermarket shock..
I recall another thread discussing a set of plug in modules (one for each shock) that connect to the wire harness, where the shocks normally would, that trick the computer into thinking the shocks are still installed. That way you dont get any codes thrown, and can use whatever other shocks you want.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:36 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by kedar
Love mine!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:49 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The product in question that will allow an F55-equipped car to run a non-MSRC shock is a small jumper set from Casper's Electronics. They plug into the chassis-end of the pigtail harness that connects to each shock. They essentially return a dummy signal to the computer, which sees the car as in a perpetually still state, as if the car is sitting still.

And I wanted to bring up a talking point regarding the "impossibility" of retrofitting F55 to a non-equipped car...

Why is it impossible? We have shocks, ride sensors that mount to the a-arm and chassis using a small turnbuckle on a rotating sensor, and wire harnesses leading back to a control box- presumably the BCM (or whathaveyou).

Hardparts notwithstanding, is there more to this than swapping BCM's? Before I'd discovered the Caspers jumpers to facilitate my coilovers, I intended to swap my entire F55 system out with that of a non-equipped car. Assuming both cars were similarly equipped with whatever options/systems the BCM controls, what obstructions are there to simply trading them along with their respective suspensions? I'm still fairly confident there are people out there with base suspension cars that would like the option to retrofit a system from a car converting to a more aggressive suspension like I did.

If it can be done with ECM's (which it can), why not a BCM?

Quick Reply: F55 Magnetic Selective Ride question?