C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are our engines doomed from the factory!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:09 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Default Are our engines doomed from the factory!!!!!!!!!!

So I got this this newsletter from Corvetteforum and it had an article/advertisement about synthetic oil. Mistake #4 says using synthetic oil to break in your engine. Doesn't our cars come from the factory with synthetic oil when new?

http://www.joegibbsdriven.com/traini...cmistakes.html
Old 04-11-2012, 07:56 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I thought so.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:15 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Hey, IB (the owners of CorvetteForum) are consistently advertising that we need to put off-road truck mud tires on our C6. Just watch the second thread titles. At this moment the current second "thread" ad is for SUV tires. ("Looking for a reliable tire to get you where you need to go? The CROSSTEK® CUV is designed for crossover vehicles and compact SUVs.") Who is stupid enough to think someone is looking for SUV tires for their C6 or any generation Corvette for that matter? They are idiots when it comes to knowing their market. (Ooops, did they hear that? ) I don't bother reading any of their crap.

As far as synthetic vs. dino oil, the C6 comes from the factory with synthetic. Evidently the engineers who designed the C6 know more about what the C6 needs than Joe's generic recommendations. Joe is correct though that when rebuilding an old engine it is better to use dino oil for the break-in. The reason is you use less accurately matched parts rebuilding an engine than the factory does when building a new engine. That means you need some wear to get them to fit better and dino oil gives more wear.

Bottom line - don't pay any attention to any ads coming from CorvetteForum unless they specifically say C6. Most of their ads have nothing to do with a Corvette and the products recommended will do far more harm than good.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:55 AM
JohnAE455
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All vettes since the LT1 engine in 1992 have come with synthetic oil.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Too late to worry about it now..........
Old 04-11-2012, 09:32 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

That's for sure.
Originally Posted by J Willis
Too late to worry about it now..........
Old 04-11-2012, 09:40 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep... you're screwed and it's a known problem..
Why in 250,000 to 300,000 miles from now, you could develop
engine problems from using synthetic oil too soon in your engine..
Good luck to you !!

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
So I got this this newsletter from Corvetteforum and it had an article/advertisement about synthetic oil. Mistake #4 says using synthetic oil to break in your engine. Doesn't our cars come from the factory with synthetic oil when new?

Old 04-11-2012, 09:53 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Are our engines doomed from the factory!!!!!!!!!!

I would say not/
Old 04-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

" Are our engines doomed from the factory!!!!!!!!!!"

Yes....with continued use your engine will fail at some point in time. I wouldn't, however, use non-synthetic oil in a Corvette engine during the break-in period or otherwise. Concerning the break-in period, there's a school of thought that says it's essential to run your engine hard right off the bat in order to properly seal the rings.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Years ago, when I replaced my OEM engine I thought about a gentle break-in period for the first 500 miles or so. Well, that wasn't to be. The very first thing done with my engine was to blast it repeatedly on a dyno! After 6+ years of hard track use my engine hasn't so much as hiccupped. In fact, it now puts out more hp and torque than it did when it was new.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:59 AM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

So now you want a fender that matches your car AND and engine that will last . . . . getting a bit greedy in Minnesota aren't we ???
Old 04-11-2012, 11:43 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
So now you want a fender that matches your car AND and engine that will last . . . . getting a bit greedy in Minnesota aren't we ???
Well.....MN is the welfare state.....
Old 04-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Y2K3CL-S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
" Are our engines doomed from the factory!!!!!!!!!!"

Yes....with continued use your engine will fail at some point in time. I wouldn't, however, use non-synthetic oil in a Corvette engine during the break-in period or otherwise. Concerning the break-in period, there's a school of thought that says it's essential to run your engine hard right off the bat in order to properly seal the rings.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Years ago, when I replaced my OEM engine I thought about a gentle break-in period for the first 500 miles or so. Well, that wasn't to be. The very first thing done with my engine was to blast it repeatedly on a dyno! After 6+ years of hard track use my engine hasn't so much as hiccupped. In fact, it now puts out more hp and torque than it did when it was new.
Interesting the way you captured this. I did the Museum delivery on my '08, and the one thing I noted towards the end of the line was how hard the cars were treated at the dyno. I asked my 'guide' about this in light of the 500 break-in period, and because there was an International writer touring the factory with me he said he'd talk to me about it later ... as in wink-wink ... nudge-nudge.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:58 AM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K3CL-S
Interesting the way you captured this. I did the Museum delivery on my '08, and the one thing I noted towards the end of the line was how hard the cars were treated at the dyno. I asked my 'guide' about this in light of the 500 break-in period, and because there was an International writer touring the factory with me he said he'd talk to me about it later ... as in wink-wink ... nudge-nudge.

Well ????? What did he say later ??
Old 04-11-2012, 12:00 PM
AV8ForFun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20 years ago, it was common knowledge that you never break in an engine with synthetic oil. We always ran normal oil for the first 15k to 20k, then switched over to a synthetic.

I don't know what has changed, but, like someone else said, if these came from the factory with Mobil 1, as I was told, then it is too late to worry about it.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:01 PM
AV8ForFun
Racer

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Well ????? What did he say later ??
Old 04-11-2012, 12:09 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Well.....MN is the welfare state.....

Moved away from there in 1982 and I do not miss the high property and state income taxes I had when I lived there that comes with a welfare loving state.

PS: love your new avatar showing off the two-tone paint job, GM should use it in their ads.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Rocket-J
Pro

20 years ago we didn't have the machining technology and metal alloys we have today. These engine are built to last. 20 years ago they didn't have 100,000 mile warranties. Then Corvette tells you to go out and use your "Launch Control" and run the snot out of it. They are pretty confident they gave you a good motor.

Get notified of new replies

To Are our engines doomed from the factory!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-11-2012, 01:14 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Your factory engine doesn't require "break-in". Do a little research if you want specifics as to why.

However it's best to take it easy on your drivetrain and to some extent brakes for the first 500 miles.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOMC6
Your factory engine doesn't require "break-in". Do a little research if you want specifics as to why.

However it's best to take it easy on your drivetrain and to some extent brakes for the first 500 miles.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:22 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, they does.

I imagine those engines will bite the dust after 200 or 250K miles of hard use. What a shame.

Quick Reply: Are our engines doomed from the factory!!!!!!!!!!