C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zaino Users and Chrome Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:45 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Default Zaino Users and Chrome Wheels

Wanted to bounce this off of the Zaino users. In the past, I never "waxed" my chrome wheels, under the thought that chrome wheels do not have the porous surface that would "hold" the wax. When I did wax them, they looked great for about a day.

These days, I use Zaino polishes on the car itself (and Z6 everywhere, but never used any on the wheels. My question is that since Zaino is not a wax, but a polymer that can be layered, would its properties allow it to stick to the chrome wheels. If the Z5 and/or Z-CS Clear Seal could be effectively used on the wheels, I know they would be a lot easier to clean.

Thanks.

Oh, if you are a zaino hater, I would prefer to not get into a debate on the best polish. I have tried everything, and I have captured a whole lot more car show trophies with Zaino as compared to any other waxes or polish (which is good enough to me).

Last edited by RACE U; 05-02-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-02-2012, 10:23 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm a Zaino nut as you can tell from many past posts. But I use Rejex on wheels and glass. It just seems to work better than Zaino for those. But either one should work on chrome as well as paint.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I Zaino'd the heck out of my wifes chrome Firehawk wheels for years and it kept them looking brand new. We sold the car when it was almost nine years old and they were flawless........

Old 05-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

I got RIM WAX from West Coast corvettes (Not Cheap) and I've got to say that it is better then Simichrome,which is very good also.One coat will last a long time in the heat here in Texas.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:01 PM
ptaylor_9849
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Zaino on my chrome spyders and they look awesome. Lots of people get confused about the Z lineup and shy away from it. I've been detailing cars for over 20 years and I was a tester/reviewer for Sal Zaino and I have this to share with my corvette friends. When it comes to finish care, all you really need is Z5 and Z6. Here's how I clean my wheels. I have a small electric pressure washer that I use to rinse my wheels of brake dust and loose dirt after most drives. Then I blow dry them with an electric leaf blower. Then I mist the wheels with Z6 and wipe clean with a microfiber. Seriously, it take about 10 minutes and they look absolutely brand new.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:48 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I appreciate the feedback...
Old 05-03-2012, 08:18 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I use Zaino Clear Sealant on my factory chrome Z06 rims and they look great. I use Z6 for regular touchups. I have also used All in One, Z2 and Z5. They all work fine.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 AM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

I put a coat of Z2 on about once a year and then use Z6 when I detail the car and they look great!!

Mark
Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 AM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
I got RIM WAX from West Coast corvettes (Not Cheap) and I've got to say that it is better then Simichrome,which is very good also.One coat will last a long time in the heat here in Texas.

Does it specify what the 'ingredients' are in Rim Wax? I just use car wax and wonder if there is enough difference to change - Thanks
Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 AM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
I use Zaino on my chrome spyders and they look awesome. Lots of people get confused about the Z lineup and shy away from it. I've been detailing cars for over 20 years and I was a tester/reviewer for Sal Zaino and I have this to share with my corvette friends. When it comes to finish care, all you really need is Z5 and Z6. Here's how I clean my wheels. I have a small electric pressure washer that I use to rinse my wheels of brake dust and loose dirt after most drives. Then I blow dry them with an electric leaf blower. Then I mist the wheels with Z6 and wipe clean with a microfiber. Seriously, it take about 10 minutes and they look absolutely brand new.
sounds like we have something in common when it comes to Sal....

Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 AM
donzi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you ever try Wheelwax, you will never use anything else on your rims..Ed
Old 05-03-2012, 02:37 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJoe
I'm a Zaino nut as you can tell from many past posts. But I use Rejex on wheels and glass. It just seems to work better than Zaino for those. But either one should work on chrome as well as paint.

Can't beat Rejex!
Old 05-03-2012, 03:10 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

I use NeverDull on the Chrome parts of my car.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Does it specify what the 'ingredients' are in Rim Wax? I just use car wax and wonder if there is enough difference to change - Thanks
It's a heat resistant wax,made by Smart Wax of California.Check it out on there web site www.smartwax.com.and try out there detail spray,it has a polymer & carnauba wax mixed together.I use them on my exhaust tips also.I've gotta said those California guys know the best.Now>you Zanio guys I'm NOT putting that product down,..,,.

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 05-06-2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: add a word
Old 05-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
It's a heat resistant wax,made by Smart Wax of California.Check it out on there web site www.smartwax.com.and try out there detail spray,it has a polymer & carnauba wax mixed together.I use them on my exhaust tips also.I've gotta said those California guys know the best.Now>you Zanio guys I'm NOT putting that product down,..,,.
I think West Coast Corvettes has the best price.

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 05-06-2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: add a word
Old 05-04-2012, 11:27 AM
05white69
Advanced

Is Rim Wax really safe for our clear coated wheels? The reason I ask is because I have an 05 C6 with factory wheels that are dull looking. I have read the many different threads about stripping off the clear - I don't really want to do that. I have ready many different threads about great products that will restore the shine on clear coated wheels - I have bought them all - no success. I understand the dullness is from minor scratches in the clear coat. My wheels are in really good condition, never been curbed or anything, just not as shiny as when they were new.

Does anyone have experience with Rim Wax restoring the shine like their webpage states????
Old 05-04-2012, 11:39 AM
flashburn
Racer

Originally Posted by 05white69
Is Rim Wax really safe for our clear coated wheels? The reason I ask is because I have an 05 C6 with factory wheels that are dull looking. I have read the many different threads about stripping off the clear - I don't really want to do that. I have ready many different threads about great products that will restore the shine on clear coated wheels - I have bought them all - no success. I understand the dullness is from minor scratches in the clear coat. My wheels are in really good condition, never been curbed or anything, just not as shiny as when they were new.

Does anyone have experience with Rim Wax restoring the shine like their webpage states????
It'd have to be really abrasive to remove the clear coat, especially if you apply it by hand. I think its much more likely that a product marketed specifically for wheels have little to no abrasives.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Polymer products ( Zaino Rejex etc) work good on chrome wheels.
I use Rejex and after each drive just wipe the wheels down with a clean cloth and they're done.
Also started using 303 Speed Detailer on top of that and it improved the look and made it even easier to clean the wheels
Old 05-04-2012, 02:14 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

This has been very helpful. I appreciate the feedback..

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino Users and Chrome Wheels

Quick Reply: Zaino Users and Chrome Wheels