C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GS vs. Z06 vs. GT-R vs. ZL1 vs. EvoX as daily driver AND heavy HPDE use.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 02:12 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Default GS vs. Z06 vs. GT-R vs. ZL1 vs. EvoX as daily driver AND heavy HPDE use.

I have recently replaced my aging '06 Z06 with a '12 GS, but I have also considered many other cars and even bought a few of them only to sell them back during the process (while keeping my Z06 along). I attend many HPDE events, so the track performance, fun factor, and track day maintenance/cost is also very important.

Not that you asked, here is my brain dump about these cars. They are just my humble personal opinions nothing more, so please don't get offended if you don't agree, and feel free to comment:

GS --> It is 95% of a regular Z06 at the track especially considering the more compliant suspension and that I limit my speed at straightaways (where Z06 would have huge advantage). Gearing better suited in lower gears than the Z06 for tight tracks. Brakes last long. Powertrain is stout for the LS3; fix is cheap (i.e. a transmission/differential rebuild, if it ever happens, is affordable). Scrapes everywhere, even more than my Z06. Don't play with the clutch; it can be ruined pretty quick. Looks amazing (just like the Z06). '12 seats are better, but not stellar. LS3 w/ the dry sump (which was updated in '09) is almost bulletproof. Dry sump also drops the oil temps; a must must must for track duty. Bottom line: Best bang for the buck among Corvettes for my purposes.

Z06 --> LS7 can fail, and warranty replacement might be denied if happens at the track. Can cause fire when it does; a big one! Regular Z06 no longer best bang for the buck (losing to GS); Z06 w/Z07 is the best option but is outdated (not outperformed) for its money compared to much-improved ZL1 suspension. Z07 can be had for ~$80K brand new; good price! Bottom line: I'd pay for the Z07 right away if it had the next gen magnetic suspension. Looking forward to the C7 Z06!

GT-R --> Drives almost as easy as an EvoX at the track; makes you feel like a bigger man. Must be 2012 or newer. Older models void warranty when launch control is used, and suspension is much improved. 5 points(!) of failure at the transmission for it to take abuse; need $5K to upgrade it. Transmission / diff and the complexity of AWD along with the heft is the very weak link of the GT-R; even the newest models; transmission fails once it overheats at the track. 2012+ reliable enough for street use. Found used 2012 for $80K at 15K miles. The transmission oil along with all other fluids needs to be changed every 3000 miles under heavy duty work (like track); just the transmission fluid costs $540 at Amazon.com !!! Considering many HPDE events a year, don't touch earlier year models; it costs a lot to use this car hard and maintain, not worth it. Moreover, you won't have peace of mind with the potential cost of failures. Eats tires, cooks brakes. Dealers still ask MSRP or more. MSRP increases by $7K every year for almost the same car; WTH! It's, in fact, 575 HP (477 whp), and can be made 650HP (540+ whp) with only an off-the-shelf tune from Cobb. It can heat-soak the more you push the boost, though. Bottom line: Performs very very well, but you gotta pay a lot to play both up front and during; no thanks.

ZL1 --> If you need 4 seats, best alternative to GS period! Has one of the best suspension setups in the world. In other words, it is one of the cheater suspension setups available in the world. The cheaters: GT-R, EvoX, ZL1, Z07/ZR1 (though ZL1's setup with higher-frequency, immediate-discharge magnetic suspensions is far more superior.) At 56K+ MSRP, very affordable, too. The aggressive look is great, and for its weight, performs admirably at the track. It eats tires due to weight, eats brakes for breakfast, visibility is very poor even at the track, feels claustrophobic, is sold out and dealers put markup (though I found a few for MSRP as long as I pay for the $1000 transport to my state), the fit/finish, especially at the exterior by the bumpers feel inferior to Corvettes in my opinion. Suspension makes it much better for street driving compared to vettes with the firmer suspension (even Z07/ZR1 as far as I've heard). It can be faster at a track with long straightaways like VIR, but I bet it would cost much more in terms of tires/brakes compared to a GS. It also heat-soaks both at the street and track. The next gen will lose a lot of weight; might be worth waiting for. The current ZL1 also has .389 drag coefficient; way too high! Bottom line: Great car, 580HP would make you smile. Better than GS at the street. GS is still the better track car, though, and GS is much cheaper in terms of tires/brakes. Looks still not on par with Corvettes.

EvoX --> Drives like a toy at the track; you'll feel and look like a hero! Very quick turn in, incredible control; can be driven with one hand at the track. Amazing seats! It has rattles that will drive you nuts at the street. Much more ground clearance than vettes. Interior, radio, steering is surprisingly good compared to Evo IX. The transmission is piece of junk. It grinds from 2nd to 3rd if you shift slow even as brand new! Drivetrain is not stout. I started having issues with a brand new '11 EvoX at 2K miles after two hot (95+ degrees F) track days; it started having more friction(!) than normal to shift into 4th. Moreover, differential also overheats. The tranny/diff issues can be mitigated by a preventative rebuild by experts (like Shepherd's transmissions) for $1200. The suspension is very soft; beware at tracks banked with wrong camber! Suspension needs new sway bars/springs to eliminate body roll. The wheel clearance is low, and the wheels are small (only good for up to 255s); the 245 tires that come with it were destroyed after a few track days at 1200 miles(!). The stock tires overheat at the track; need 255/265 Bridgestone RE-11, or Yokohama Advan A08. Michelin PSS tires were not as good as I thought at 245. These issues can be mitigated. What cannot be mitigated: 2 liter engine sucks. It's either too weak or too laggy; you cannot have it strong enough unless you make it unreliable; a no go for track duty. Bottom line: Considering its cheap price, can be made very good 4-seater with a little investment, that is if you're OK with the lackluster engine. I was not.

Last edited by X25; 06-19-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:04 AM
shaimerej
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting! Thanks for the info!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:54 AM
cpmatthew
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's an interesting rundown. If I was going to get a non-vette, it would probably be the Evo. But as mine sees mostly street duty (so far), the rattles you mentioned might have been a deal breaker. Thanks for posting.

Last edited by cpmatthew; 06-19-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:57 AM
BenDiem
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice post. Enjoyed the read. Tks.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Old 06-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Evo..??
Old 06-19-2012, 09:30 AM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No Miata?
Old 06-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I was buying new again it would definitely be the GS instead of another Z06. It has a better ride and handles better at the limit. AND...you can take the roof off when your not at the track.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:35 AM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Going from a Z06 to a GS? Ouch...
Old 06-19-2012, 11:11 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Interesting read.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Mikev078
Drifting

Originally Posted by EyeMaster
No Miata?
Only if it was a monster miata
Old 06-19-2012, 11:41 AM
H-TOWNC6
Racer

Interesting read.............thanks!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:53 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Track duty was the #1 reason I bought my 2010 GS.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Some good assessments and opinions. Considering "heavy" track use as a factor I might have made some mention of modifications or modding potential. Serious track guys know modifications are required to be competitive and the more competitive you want to be the more modifications you'll have to make. Granted, any car can be modified to almost any level your wallet will allow but IMO the Corvette (and especially the Z06 and GS) are tremendous platforms to improve upon.

Originally Posted by Carver Electrics
Evo..??
Originally Posted by EyeMaster
No Miata?
They're not my choices but I wouldn't 'knock' either car. A stock Evo performs incredibly well. My friend had a modified Evo that was smokin' fast on a road course. I'll venture to say his 4-door sedan would blow the doors off most stock Corvettes. I also see modified Miata's that turn impressive lap times. Granted, they're momentum racers but they're cheap, economical to operate, respectably fast and fun! They maybe aren't our choices but both are great cars.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:35 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Enjoyed the read. A friend recently tracked a 2011 GTR on VIR and he said it made him feel like a pro. His words were "I was going way to fast and making all kinds of mistakes but it corrected me and made it work, almost like a video game."
Old 06-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Excellent reading

Very well done without a bunch of hype for any one car. It was pretty much as I expected. I believe that for a "track car" the Evo would be fun but i would not own one.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:47 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Great read. At 50, I learned just because you can buy the 'better' car doesn't mean you should. I struggled a bit between the Z06 and GS, but it didn't make any sense for me to buy the Z06. For starters, that'd have meant driving alone, and I wanted to tour with my wife. But even without that constraint, it still didn't make sense for me, since I'd probably never track the car. I didn't care for the removable roof, so that wasn't a factor for me. All iln all, I couldn't be happier with my GS. It's the best compromise for what most of us use the car for. It has all I wanted from the Z, which was body and brakes. I didn't particularly care for (nor are they needed) the giant tires and wheels, but I don't mind them . And has all the power and speed I'd ever need as well. Saving almost 20 grand similarly equipped (4LT/3LZ CEs) is nothing to sneeze at, not to mention the significantly cheaper insurance, quieter engine and interior, and better ride. Plus it has longer touring range due to better fuel mileage. And the gearing on the GS is just perfect IMO . Plan to keep this car for a long time. Have a good one folks.

Last edited by JCtx; 06-19-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To GS vs. Z06 vs. GT-R vs. ZL1 vs. EvoX as daily driver AND heavy HPDE use.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:52 PM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossofiron
Very well done without a bunch of hype for any one car. It was pretty much as I expected. I believe that for a "track car" the Evo would be fun but i would not own one.
When you are talking a track car there are always "horses for courses" especially when you set a $ figure of, say, $100,000.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:21 PM
vettenevodrvr
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

I've owned a mildly modified 2003 Evo 8, and so far, it is the easiest car to drive fast I've ever owned. The steering was amazing!! You have to drive one to appreciate it. The Evo 10 was "softened" to appeal to a wider audience, hence softer suspension, heavier, MIVEC engine, more creature comforts, etc.

If you're looking for a track car, get a Evo 9 or earlier. Weighs same or less than the Z06. The 4G63 engine is bulletbroof and easily modded. Many aftermarket parts available on the cheap.

As a daily driver, the ride is stiff, darn stiff. Easily scoot in and out of traffic. No cruising gear, so expect high rpms driving at 65 mph or more and only 25 mpg highway. Four doors. Small gas tank. Front seats are comfortable and supportive. Interior is cheap. Shifter and clutch are easy to manipulate, however, you have to be gentle or it'll buck like a horse.

I miss my Evo........but it's no 'Vette.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Good info. I read the entire thing. I rarely do that.

Quick Reply: GS vs. Z06 vs. GT-R vs. ZL1 vs. EvoX as daily driver AND heavy HPDE use.