C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reverse gear lockout

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 08:06 PM
RedC6Jezybel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default reverse gear lockout

I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with the reverse gear lockout not working. I have a 2005 M6. A couple of times recently I have found that the reverse lockout is not engaged when driving. I have been able to move the gear shifter all the way to reverse when going to 5th gear. Does anyone know why this is occurring?
Old 07-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I had that issue on my 03 C5. THe dealer replaced the lockout. On the C5 it was on top of the tranny. The mechanic had a special socket that he got on it.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:55 AM
RedC6Jezybel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that reply. Does anyone know if the lockout is as easily replaced on the 2005 C6 M6 transmission?
Old 07-31-2012, 06:54 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

I managed to defeat my reverse lockout on my 01Z a couple of times many years ago. That car was always difficult to upshift from 4 to 5. It took just the right amount of wrist effort. On two occasions at freeway speed it wouldn't upshift. I came back to neutral and then flicked it hard enough to rack reverse. Very disconcerning but no term damage I am aware and I kept that car until selling at 49k.

The reverse lockout solenoid on the C6 trannies are also on the top.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:14 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Do you have the fuse pulled under the hood that controls the solenoids for skip shift. If so this maybe why no reverse solenoid.
z51vett
Old 07-31-2012, 10:11 AM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by z51vett
Do you have the fuse pulled under the hood that controls the solenoids for skip shift. If so this maybe why no reverse solenoid.
z51vett
Good thought, but no. Only thing on the skip shift circuit (position #10 of the underhood fuse block) is the skip shift solenoid.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:18 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have not experienced this with my 2005. 5th and 6th gears are typically overdrive gears for extended highway cruising (and for me not gears I'd ever use for in-town driving). I'm guessing you're not fully engaging reverse gear at 60-70+ mph or else your transmission would be severely damaged. There are several possible mechanical problems that could be causing this but I'd first look to how you're shifting. As an overdrive gear I assume you're making the shift to 5th at moderate RPMs....eliminate high RPM shifting from the scenario. A common cause would be you're attempting to shift too quickly. It doesn't seem likely in a 4th to 5th gear shift but some drivers (especially at WOT going from 2nd to 3rd) tense-up and force the shift 'locking' the shifter in the transmission netherworld. I've seen this happen on the track....I've been behind another Corvette at WOT and like at 60+ mph I see the guy's backup lights come on. The driver forced the shift to 3rd and 'locked' the shifter. I've done it myself. Just for good measure make sure you're making the shift in a deliberate but relaxed manner and there's no chance you're throwing the shifter over further than it needs to go. You might try a static shift test....with the engine turned off shift through the gears and see if you notice any difference in 'feel.' Does the shift into 5th seem to go 'smoothly?' Have you checked for any possible fault codes with a code reader?

There could be a mechanical problem but just because you're able to seemingly defeat the reverse gear lockout doesn't necessarily mean there is a mechanical problem. Before you take the car to the dealership to diagnose the problem make sure that it's not a condition you're causing. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Get notified of new replies

To reverse gear lockout

Quick Reply: reverse gear lockout