C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need buying advice on used C6 - Should I run?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:59 AM
HD_Rider
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Need buying advice on used C6 - Should I run?

Hey folks,

I am looking at getting back into the Corvette world and am looking at a 2011 Convertible. At first, the price seemed reasonable, but now am not so sure.

The car is a 4LT Grand Sport Convertible in Supersonic Blue. Besides the 4LT package, it also has the F55 selective ride control, CM7 power convertible top, MN6 6-speed manual tranny, NPP dual-mode exhaust, full navigation system, hud, etc. The car has 7k miles and is at my dealer for $55k.

Thanks to Dennis Fichtner, a vehicle history report was pulled. It seems the car has already been in the shop for a number of major issues including:
  • Shock Absorber Replacement
  • Engine Coolant Fan Replacement
  • Input Shaft Overhaul
  • Clutch Assembly Replacement
  • Steering Column Replacement
  • Crankshaft Balancer Replacement

Why would a car like this require so much maintenance for as young as it is? There are no accident reports on this car, but I'm guessing I need to run away from this car.

Suggestons?
Old 09-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Can't you buy a new GS for that or close to it? Seems pretty high.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:02 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Never-Enough
even still, the maintainance log would be enough to make me run
Old 09-10-2012, 12:10 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

you've been a member since 2004. do you know there are forum dealers that pay to be on here? as a result, they sell cars at the least you will find just about anywhere.

while I think the price is ok, considering what the car has as options, I don't like what I'm reading. by all logic, this tells me the car has had major issues AND they've been resolved. which should mean, those parts will never fail again and you've got a second set of brand new parts on the car.

BUT....what if? and that's the question. what if you plunk down even $50K, and it keeps acting up? yes, it's under warranty but eventually it won't be. then what?

two things I'd do: go look for another used car. or go talk with one of our forum dealers, especially ones that sell so many new corvettes that they are always taking in....guess what? used corvettes! * wow, what a concept. go for it!

* the one in my area shows pics of his trade in Corvettes.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:18 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 832 Likes on 394 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Never-Enough
A new GS 4LT convertible will run you somewhere in the $65K and maybe a little higher. I suppose that with some of the forum dealers there is a chance that a 2013 GS could be had for just over the $60 k mark, but a 3LT roadster is not at the $55K range.

Originally Posted by AORoads
you've been a member since 2004. do you know there are forum dealers that pay to be on here? as a result, they sell cars at the least you will find just about anywhere.

while I think the price is ok, considering what the car has as options, I don't like what I'm reading. by all logic, this tells me the car has had major issues AND they've been resolved. which should mean, those parts will never fail again and you've got a second set of brand new parts on the car.

BUT....what if? and that's the question. what if you plunk down even $50K, and it keeps acting up? yes, it's under warranty but eventually it won't be. then what?

two things I'd do: go look for another used car. or go talk with one of our forum dealers, especially ones that sell so many new corvettes that they are always taking in....guess what? used corvettes! * wow, what a concept. go for it!

* the one in my area shows pics of his trade in Corvettes.

I agree with the service history, on a 2 year old car that seems like there is an issue with this on car. I would think that you can find other GS for the same amount that have a much cleaner history.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

When you see that kind of work done to any car with 7000 miles on it. I would never even consider buying it. You would have to out of your mind to even think about spending that kind of money on a used car with those type problems resolved or not. IMO
Old 09-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Asking price notwithstanding that car has had more mechanical problems than I'd be comfortable with (especially for a 2011). I'd pass on it.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:28 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Based on the list, my money is on the original owner complaning of a steering simmy and/or powertrain vibration the dealer had a hard time nailing down. Check to see if it was a buy back.. I would test drive it extensively and pay close attention to any virations or shimmies.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:40 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

As a general rule, I like cars with a clean history and stay away from one's that have red flags. At least that way I'm not kicking myself if the car turns out to develop problems after I buy it. I'd pass on this one.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Tom45
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Asking price notwithstanding that car has had more mechanical problems than I'd be comfortable with (especially for a 2011). I'd pass on it.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:52 PM
6893Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a bit concerned with the number of repairs. They could be all behind the car or more could be coming. It's alot of money to roll the dice.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:52 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

Could have been beat on, I would also look for a different car.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,470 Likes on 792 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I'd pass on this one. There are still many 2012 GS convertibles left over for decent prices from our forum dealers. You'd start off with a new car without the checkered history the one you're looking at has.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '16

I just got a price from a forum dealer for a 13 GS vert lt3 auto etc...$14,500 off list (that is with the new incentives and a current Vette owner). So go to the chevy site do a build your own and price it out and call Tommy.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:15 PM
HD_Rider
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks a lot folks. You basically told me what I needed to hear and what I already knew. I will pass on this car.

I will keep looking and see if I can even maybe swing a brand new 3LT convertible. It sure would be nice for it to be a GS but I know my budgetary constraints may not allow for it.

Get notified of new replies

To Need buying advice on used C6 - Should I run?

Quick Reply: Need buying advice on used C6 - Should I run?