C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 01:05 PM
sprta
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Question on Gas

Given a choice between Ethanol and non ethanol gas what would you use. The reason I ask is there is a gas station around 7 Miles from me that has 93 Octane non ethanol gas and I am considering using it on a regular basis ( I just filled up with the non ethanol for the 1st time). I have a 2013 Coupe....I would be interested in your opinion.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

We have a 94 Ethanol and a couple of 91 non Ethanol gas stations around my house and surprising to some, but not all , 91 is much, much better for my 750hp monster.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:16 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

ABSOLUTELY.....NON-ETHANOL

Wish I had some of that here. More Power and Milage
Old 11-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

They sure market it like it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

High Octane Performance
Ultra 94™ is a super-premium fuel that offers high octane performance, even under tough driving conditions. It is only available at select Petro-Canada locations in Ontario and Alberta.

Ultra 94, the High Octane Advantage

Ultra 94's high octane formula surpasses the CGSB (Canadian General Standards Board) performance requirements for super premium gasoline.

What does this mean for your vehicle? Ultra 94's unique performance and higher detergency helps to:

Clean your car's fuel injectors and intake valves — and keep them clean
Optimize fuel economy
Reduce emissions
Improve overall vehicle performance year-round

Ultra 94's higher octane helps ensure you get maximum horsepower, acceleration and performance from your vehicle, even under tough
driving conditions.

Racing with Ultra 94

On the racetrack, Ontario's leader in high octane fuel teams up with Ron Fellows, NASCAR driver, winner of the 24 Hours of Le Mans and sports car racing champion for more than two decades and the Bridgestone Racing Academy, Ontario's premier racing facility.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by sprta
Given a choice between Ethanol and non ethanol gas what would you use.
if other than the ethanol, all things being equal it's a no-brainer....the non-ethanol...but in reality it's not always that easy for if the non-ethanol is not a 'top tier' gas and the ethanol fuel is, the additive / detergent packages would be superior in the ethanol gas.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Mikado463
if other than the ethanol, all things being equal it's a no-brainer....the non-ethanol...but in reality it's not always that easy for if the non-ethanol is not a 'top tier' gas and the ethanol fuel is, the additive / detergent packages would be superior in the ethanol gas.
So, I think we should keep it apples to apples, top tier versus top tier or lower tier versus lower tier.
Kind of makes sense, no?
Old 11-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

I have a station nearby in SC that has 'pure gas'. Only thing is it's 89 octane and the ethanol is 91. Not sure what's best here either.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
I have a station nearby in SC that has 'pure gas'. Only thing is it's 89 octane and the ethanol is 91. Not sure what's best here either.
The LS2/LS3 will run on 89, but it runs better on 91 or higher.
Top Tier will have better detergents to keep your engine clean, non-ethanol gives slightly more power and better mileage.

We seldom can get all three, I'll accept the ethanol in order to get Top Tier.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:02 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default All I know...!

All I know is that you don't want to run out of either!
Old 11-03-2012, 08:16 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
The LS2/LS3 will run on 89, but it runs better on 91 or higher.
Top Tier will have better detergents to keep your engine clean, non-ethanol gives slightly more power and better mileage.

We seldom can get all three, I'll accept the ethanol in order to get Top Tier.
Locally, I can get 93 octane without ethanol for my Z06 from Conoco, a top tier brand. I use either HyVee or Signal 91 octane ethanol free gas(not a top tier) in my other three cars, but I add a bottle of Techtron Concentrate ever so often.

On a trip, I try and get ethanol free gas when possible, even if it's not top tier. I can always add the Techtron every 3,000 miles. Unfortunately, it's hard to find ethanol free gas in most locations.

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-03-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:40 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 166 Posts

It's Techron, a Chevron additive package that works very well. You'll get better mileage on pure gasoline (and power) due to the higher btu content in gasoline vs Ethanol but like the previous posters have stated, the additive packages help cut down on engine deposits. By the way, if you are interested in cutting engine deposits, you are also using a catch can too, right? I installed one on my '12 GS when it had 57 miles on it.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:56 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Local non-ethanol gasoline is much more expensive; not worth it in my opinion. I do try and use top-tier every other fill-up.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I only use Shell V-Power with zero ethanol ever since I found out it doesn't have any (here) - don't know why they don't advertise this...
Old 11-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
It's Techron, a Chevron additive package that works very well. You'll get better mileage on pure gasoline (and power) due to the higher btu content in gasoline vs Ethanol but like the previous posters have stated, the additive packages help cut down on engine deposits. By the way, if you are interested in cutting engine deposits, you are also using a catch can too, right? I installed one on my '12 GS when it had 57 miles on it.
Catch cans are one of the biggest scams on the forum. You can believe what you want, there has been unlimited proof as to why these things are just a gimmick.
Ask Callaway if they run a catch can on their 125,000 mile 600hp test Vette that has been beat on at the drag strip, road course, cold weather , hot weather etc. etc. No way do they use a catch can, I specifically asked them and they said NO to the catch can. Lingenfelter does not add a catch can to their high hp cars. Millions of cars on the road with high miles do not have catch cans. Plus, there has NEVER been one thread on this forum, with an engine related failure or problem due to no catch can. They sure LOOK racy though.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Racer
So, I think we should keep it apples to apples, top tier versus top tier or lower tier versus lower tier.
Kind of makes sense, no?

well in that case if anybody has to 'think about it' ....they are already 'brain dead ' ! ........
Old 11-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We have two stations that sell "pure" 100% gas here. Costs more but that is all i use and with 93 octane.

Shell and all the rest are 10% ethanol here.

"Watered down" fuel and oil. Great ain't it?
Old 11-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
I only use Shell V-Power with zero ethanol ever since I found out it doesn't have any (here) - don't know why they don't advertise this...
things are are different here in the US, oh less exspensive as well !

Get notified of new replies

To Question on Gas

Old 11-04-2012, 07:00 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

You can't buy non-ethanol gas around these parts,hell I don't think you can buy it anywhere in NY!! every station has 10% ethanol in all the gas.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:04 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
You can't buy non-ethanol gas around these parts,hell I don't think you can buy it anywhere in NY!! every station has 10% ethanol in all the gas.
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NY

Beg to differ. I could not find non E gas here for 3 years and now have a couple stations selling it. (For how long I do not know a local dealer says it will be outlawed in NY)

Without a doubt my Z06 runs better, engine is more responsive and it’s noticeable with SOTPD effect. We took a couple 400 mile round trips leaving from my house running the non E gas and its good for two + MPG also.

It does cost me about .25 more per gallon but its well worth it.
I also brought a bunch of 5 gallon cans of good gas for emergency use (generator) and to make a mix for my many 2 stroke toys & tools.

Look in the link and see if any is near you. Like I said before the stations just started selling it here again in this area
Old 11-04-2012, 04:50 PM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have found that I get better gas mileage on pure gas.

Quick Reply: Question on Gas