Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 01-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
R&L's C6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Do you fully use the capabilities of your C6?????????????????????

I will be the first to admit it. I don't race or track my car, so I probably only use 60% of the performance capabilities my car has less than 10% of the time. Everyone is touting the performance number of the new C7 but at what point is all that complex and expensive technology just a waste of money for those of us that just street drive these cars? I understand some of you race your car and that's totally different. I do like the C7 and hope to have one someday, but for me its not about being a better performing car, our C6's already have more performance than I ever use. JMHO
R&L's C6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
LFZ
CF Senior Member

I don't know about you...but I use every bit of it each time I take it out..whether it be to the track or starbucks. Shifting at 7000rpms, taking turns at 1.2Gs, etc. What fun would it be if you just moped around in one?
LFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
BWF07
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

/jack.tipton.16

I will admit that as a street car, I don't use it to its full potential and I really doubt anyone does. Also unless you have been to a competitive driving school, you won't be using it to its full potential. Most likely with out professional training, if you try and push it to it full potential, you most likely will get your self in a lot of trouble as well as those around you.
BWF07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
dvilin
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&L's C6 View Post
I will be the first to admit it. I don't race or track my car, so I probably only use 60% of the performance capabilities my car has less than 10% of the time. Everyone is touting the performance number of the new C7 but at what point is all that complex and expensive technology just a waste of money for those of us that just street drive these cars? I understand some of you race your car and that's totally different. I do like the C7 and hope to have one someday, but for me its not about being a better performing car, our C6's already have more performance than I ever use. JMHO
I agree in general with all you say. As you noted most people will never use the full performance capabilities of their Vette or other cars. It is a matter of bragging rights, knowing it is there for those few minutes of experiencing its full potential.
Also much of the technology is not wasted 100% as it is used on many other GM vehicles.
dvilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
j_digi454
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWF07 View Post
I will admit that as a street car, I don't use it to its full potential and I really doubt anyone does.
Full potential? Not even close.

2007 C6 Coupe A6
Monterey Red, Two-Tone Ebony/Titanium, Polished Wheels
3LT, F55, NPP, PAL, E-Force, 160* Thermostat, MSD Wires, ARHeaders & Hi-Flow Cats

1970 Corvette Bronze C3 Coupe 454/LS5 - Sold
j_digi454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Svre46
CF Senior Member

stevenoliveradx

I have used only a percent or two of what mine could do. I took it home Monday after buying it and it is now sitting in the garage covered for winter.
Svre46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
wolfdogs
CF Senior Member

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.

That's the way it's been since the introduction of the first muscle car
wolfdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
z06inVB
CF Senior Member

No not even close.
z06inVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
JohnAE455
CF Senior Member

Not even close. I only drive on the street so I don't come close to pushing the limits of a car that can go 190 mph.
JohnAE455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
CETA 256
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAE455 View Post
Not even close. I only drive on the street so I don't come close to pushing the limits of a car that can go 190 mph.
I am sure I couldn't use its full potential. They can be dangerous if your not careful.
CETA 256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
GSoldman
CF Senior Member

i try but the the car has more ability than i do. i enjoy a good spirited run down winding back roads , a blast down the drag strip and every other month or so a weekend on the road coarse. i bought a vette because its a performance car and thats how i use it.
GSoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

"Do you fully use the capabilities of your C6?????????????????????"

Absolutely....I'm an avid road racer and my C6 is now a dedicated track car. I continually modify the car to enhance its capabilities and to be competitive. As for really using the full capabilities of your car (and your driving skill) IMO there's no substitute for running on road courses. It's a blast!
Lingenfelter 403 Conversion, LG Pro Headers (coated), Corsa Sport Exhaust, Lingenfelter CAI, Accusump, LGM Coil-Over Suspension & Bump-Steer Kit, T1 Sway Bars, Pfadt Control Arm Bushing Kit, Elite Eng. Tunnel Plate & Oil Catch-Can, SKF Racing Hubs/Bearings, AP Racing Brakes, DRM Brake Ducts, Custom Roll Bar, Sparco Seats, Wide-Booty, CCW C10 Wheels,
Setup: LG Motorsports

Thanks to: 21st Century Muscle Cars
Wayne O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #13
Z06bob
CF Senior Member

Definitely punch it every time I take it out.The most fun is going to our local track,NED, with the Corvette club.Unfortunately,verts cannot run the full 1/4 mile w/o a roll bar.But racing the 1/8 is still fun. My stock GS 60' time is 2.0 mainly because of the big rear tires and 8 seconds @ 90 mph in the 1/8.I believe the car will go low 12's @ 115 in the 1/4, similar times of the coupes.
Z06bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #14
redrckt97
CF Senior Member

potential in itself can be very satisfying - knowing you have it, you don't have to use it all the time. I drive mine daily where I don't and shouldn't use all its potential -- but do a few track days /autocrosses where its potential comes out - but even if I did not get to use it that way I would be pleased to know I could. I bought a Vette for its great performance per dollar factor - but maybe its better said "potential per dollar"?
Old 01-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
ShockwaveGT
CF Senior Member

Nope. Daily driver here and that's about it. But love every mile of it.
ShockwaveGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
johnodrake
Support Corvetteforum!

Johnodrake @CdrDrake johnodrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFZ View Post
I don't know about you...but I use every bit of it each time I take it out..whether it be to the track or starbucks. Shifting at 7000rpms, taking turns at 1.2Gs, etc. What fun would it be if you just moped around in one?
Don't come to Guilford County or Forsyth or Rockingham - the law dawgs will getcha!

Vita contin git. Vive com eo!

60th Anniversary 427 CE - Bone Stock.

MSM '06 415ci LS3 510rwhp, RPS, DeWitts, Pfadt Coilovers, MGW. Full 2012 GS body and interior conversion C6Z Exhaust
Leather by DSV Powdercoating by Mike

DD 05 Silverado Z71
Spring Mountain x5
Gone now but not forgotten:
'89 Coupe Z51, FX3, MN6
Sebring Silver '97 LPE SC
Mille Miglia Red '73 L82 Coupe
Daytona Yellow '70 L46 Coupe
johnodrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
Torchsport
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

If I can find the time, I'll take my GS to the track.
My problem is I already have 6 motorcycle track days scheduled for this summer...
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #18
LFZ
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnodrake View Post
Don't come to Guilford County or Forsyth or Rockingham - the law dawgs will getcha!
They get you here too....mostly due to UGR cars giving anything thats wide, low, and fast a bad rep. There are local forum members that know about this well...

Just because you shift at 7k rpms...doesn't mean you have to go 100mph.
LFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #19
brooklync5
CF Senior Member

Monster1234
Send a message via AIM to brooklync5

Its kind of a shame but I really dont. I drive it to work nearly every day and find myself sitting at traffic lights more than actually on the throttle. Havent taken it to the track and really dont use more than 50 percent of its capabilities even on the open highway. Its a shame but I still enjoy looking at it. After all the cosmetic mods its certainly a pleasure to look at especially when I dont owe a penny on it knowing its mine and no one elses is nice.
brooklync5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #20
NDMIKE88
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Send a message via AIM to NDMIKE88

Not even close....I didn't buy my Corvette to race it, take it to the track, or to push its limits. I bought it because I have always liked the Corvette and its nice to know that if I need to use the power I have it.
NDMIKE88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:27 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page Do you fully use the capabilities of your C6?????????????????????