C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Onstar to Offstar

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default Onstar to Offstar

This is my first vehicle ever that came with onstar and I don't know a whole lot about it other than I don't think I want it to be functional. When I picked the car up at the dealer, my salesman was giving the demo and talking to the woman to get me set up. The woman was asking the standard questions, and I kept telling my salesman "I don't want it". Being the professional that he is, he did what he needed to do, I gave the info they needed, knowing this is a feature I doubt I'll use. Upon a little research on this forum I've learned about all the information that onstar gathers about driving habits, etc and worst of all who's hands this stuff ends up in. This further confirms in my mind that I don't want it active or enabled. Is there a fuse I can pull or a wire plug I can unplug to disable this?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 AM
alyupe11
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A simple Google search found this...
http://www.101corvetteprojects.com/2...a-corvette-c6/
Good luck...
Old 01-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Did you give them a credit card ? Yes or No? and i will reply back....
Old 01-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Al, thanks for that!

CN, I did not give a credit card. I'm still on the free version, as my car is new
Old 01-27-2013, 09:53 AM
MelAnn
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read tons of stuff here about how On-Star hassles you when you don't renew. I did not find that to be true. When my trial subscription was up, I told them that I was not interested in paying their ridiculous fees and haven't heard from them since. I never gave them a CC number.
I did receive one form letter telling me how they would not be able to help me in an emergency, but that was it.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 200 MPH
Al, thanks for that!

CN, I did not give a credit card. I'm still on the free version, as my car is new
You can call and cancel it at any time you want..Do not start pulling out Wires.I still have my activated,only $ 149.00 per yr.It is a good tool to have when on a trip and also State Farm gives me a discount on my insurance,which pays for my OnStar.They DO NOT monitor your driving habits..That is a bunch of CRAP.Do you think that a employee at OnStar is gonna sit at a computer 24/7 checking on you.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:19 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Same experience here.
Originally Posted by MelAnn
I've read tons of stuff here about how On-Star hassles you when you don't renew. I did not find that to be true. When my trial subscription was up, I told them that I was not interested in paying their ridiculous fees and haven't heard from them since. I never gave them a CC number.
I did receive one form letter telling me how they would not be able to help me in an emergency, but that was it.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MelAnn
For $149.00 per yr that may save my life if i get in a accident or in the middle of no where broke down & my cell phone with no signal.Bottom line:My life is worth $12.50 per month.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:29 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Had the free 6months when I bought my car, forgot to cancel, (didnt know I had to) and I called them explained and got comped for a month.

The last thing I would worry about in my life is onstar somehow tracking me.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:31 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

they sent me a post card asking me to push the blue button........jury is still out on this one. It's not that I don't trust Onstar, I don't trust the Fed's.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:37 AM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
For $149.00 per yr that may save my life if i get in a accident or in the middle of no where broke down & my cell phone with no signal.Bottom line:My life is worth $12.50 per month.
Onstar also uses a cellular network,so it still depends on whether there is cellular overage. Hopefully, it is a different network from your cellphone.

In Canada, Onstar uses the Bell network, but not sure whose it is in the US.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

1. Onstar is a stronger phone than your cellphone.

2. The little black box is the only thing that monitors your driving, but it continually gets overwritten. It is connected to the airbag, so not much you can do about that one.

3. It is handy in case you need the doors unlocked (while you're outside the car).

4. We did cancel it in my wife's car, since she didn't want to use it and never drives out of town. No hassle when canceling. You may be thinking about Sirius/XM hassles.

5. I'll keep it in my car because I drive the interstate a lot.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
You can call and cancel it at any time you want..Do not start pulling out Wires.I still have my activated,only $ 149.00 per yr.It is a good tool to have when on a trip and also State Farm gives me a discount on my insurance,which pays for my OnStar.They DO NOT monitor your driving habits..That is a bunch of CRAP.Do you think that a employee at OnStar is gonna sit at a computer 24/7 checking on you.
They do monitor electronically and sell info to subscribers not car owners. Yes they can monitor even if you don't subscribe this info is used also for traffic control.
State farm offered me discount if I would subscribe to Onstar. In your dreams baby noway.
Oh and there have been numerious newspaper articles in my area written about this. You believe what you want but take it someplace safe and exceed 100mph two or three times a month and watch what happensOh one other note does anybody remember the hoopla that went on when Onstar proposed doing this. They changed their minds about doing it yeah right. And some of the hoopla was on this forum
z51vett

Last edited by z51vett; 01-27-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by FireRoc
Onstar also uses a cellular network,so it still depends on whether there is cellular overage. Hopefully, it is a different network from your cellphone.

They use multiple networks in the US. Used to be Verizon only, but I believe more now. Either way, the vehicle is at a higher power than a handheld cell phone, so there is a good chance you get a signal in the vehicle even without one on a handheld.

None of that helps the OP. In 2009 Onstar became more integrated. I'm not sure if anyone has totally disabled it on a 2009+ or not. You can cut the wires to the antenna (black box on the windshield) which should significantly reduce its range.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:03 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is my first vehicle ever that came with onstar and I don't know a whole lot about it other than I don't think I want it to be functional. When I picked the car up at the dealer, my salesman was giving the demo and talking to the woman to get me set up. The woman was asking the standard questions, and I kept telling my salesman "I don't want it". Being the professional that he is, he did what he needed to do, I gave the info they needed, knowing this is a feature I doubt I'll use. Upon a little research on this forum I've learned about all the information that onstar gathers about driving habits, etc and worst of all who's hands this stuff ends up in. This further confirms in my mind that I don't want it active or enabled. Is there a fuse I can pull or a wire plug I can unplug to disable this?
You may not want OnStar, but the salesman sure wants you to have it. He gets a spiff when you "enroll" so he did not want to you leave without setting up and account. I have had OnStar for years. Overall, I think it is a good thing. Especially when I locked my key fob in the back of the car in my gym bag.

Last edited by calemasters; 01-27-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by z51vett
but take it someplace safe and exceed 100mph two or three times a month and watch what happens
So what happens? Please elaborate.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You can want Onstar or not but your fears about OnStar being 'Big Brother' are without merit.

Get notified of new replies

To Onstar to Offstar

Old 01-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, I want to know what happens too. Just want to know what I'm in for.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:52 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

If you use the State Farm discount and Onstar discount you are giving implied permisson to be monitored. If they find you a breaking the speed limit laws all the time ie 15 to whatever over the limit you ge canceled or a rate hike. What other reason would Statefarm want you to have Onstar. Its not to notify authoritys of an accident that can be done by other people unless you are in the deep woods.
You believe what you want but I don't trust the one in the White House either Hilter came to power and all guns were turned in.
Onstar was going to sell infor about their subscribers movements for God sake read the paper listen to the News ever once in awhile.As stated before enough raise cane over this that they stopped the idea supposedly it was another revenue stream.
z51vett

Last edited by z51vett; 01-27-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FireRoc

I'm with sprint,not sure who OnStar uses here? I have never had a problem with the OnStar phone.Love the phone system. Ever time i renew they give me 100 minutes FREE...

Quick Reply: Onstar to Offstar