C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Grandsport Rain and Cold Weather Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 04:40 PM
63 Bassman
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default C6 Grandsport Rain and Cold Weather Tire?

I replaced a BMW M3 with a 2012Centennial Grand Sport and I am terribly disappointed with the stock Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G2 tires as they are downright dangerous in anything but warm, dry weather. If the temperature drops to the low 40s , or the roads are wet, they have no traction!

In the forums, Grandsport and Z06 owners curse these tires and assert that they will be getting rid of them but what is a good replacement tire? I would never drive the car in snow or ice but I would like to drive it in the Pennsylvannia ealy Spring and Fall.

Can anyone suggest a better tire for rain and cooler temperatures that will suit a C6 Grand Sport?
Old 02-17-2013, 05:51 PM
87C4_4spd
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock tires are Summer Performance tires and not meant for Winter driving. You have to be really careful. You should not even drive them under 20.

There are several all season tires out there. Michelin's seem to get high ratings on here...

Welcome to the forum!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:32 PM
427 Pilot
Safety Car

Welcome to CF
Old 02-17-2013, 07:01 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the Forum and good luck with those tires :cheers
Old 02-17-2013, 07:36 PM
Old Ben
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 C6 of Year Finalist

Congrats on the GS and welcome to the forum.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:03 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Actually you are one step ahead if you have the g2's... The gen 1 tires seem even worse in the cold. You may want to consider the Michelin pilot super sport (PSS) or the Bridgestone but none are all-season tires.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:35 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You bought a car that is safe only in warm, dry conditions due to it's summer performance shallow tread tires, and the fact that no alternative replacement tires currently exist that fits it. Hopefully all-season run-flat replacement tires that last three to four times longer may become available in coming months. In the meantime keep her garaged.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:45 PM
rubyc6
Racer

We are getting ready to order the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RF. We had read on this forum about them saying they were a pretty good tire. We also have a C6 Grand Sport.

Best price we've seen for these is on Tirerack.com
Old 02-17-2013, 11:52 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Why do these questions keep coming up ? It is a high performance car with summer performance tires. It will not handle well in the rain, snow, cold etc. With that said, I have driven my 13 GS in all of the above conditions and only the snow was no go.(Literaly) The car can be driven in the above conditions, but not like it would be if it was 85 and sunny. Use your head and don't drive like your hair is on fire and you WILL BE OK.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:00 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What about Nitto Invo's?? They have high ratings in the wet, are rated quieter, and more comfortable that the GY's..

They are also $1400 installed at Discount Tire..

Maybe they don't have the sheer performance of the GY's or Michelin's, and they are not run flats, but should they be considered as alternatives??

Opinions?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:22 AM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
Why do these questions keep coming up ? It is a high performance car with summer performance tires. It will not handle well in the rain, snow, cold etc. With that said, I have driven my 13 GS in all of the above conditions and only the snow was no go.(Literaly) The car can be driven in the above conditions, but not like it would be if it was 85 and sunny. Use your head and don't drive like your hair is on fire and you WILL BE OK.

I've driven my 13' GS in every thing, even tried snow for fun; but the best thing you can do is get the PFDAT alignment and be careful with the throttle in the lower gears.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:07 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by rubyc6
We are getting ready to order the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RF. We had read on this forum about them saying they were a pretty good tire. We also have a C6 Grand Sport.

I'm another Bridgestone fan, over the Goodyear GEN2's. I've now had the Bridgestones on the Grand Sport for over a year, and I like them. The Z06 drivers sold me on them originally.

It was 28 degrees this morning in my part of Florida, and is supposed to be colder tomorrow morning. Incidentally, the tires held very well (as they always have), and I did the usual 3/4 throttle romp, to get to the interstate speeds through the gears, with no spinning whatsoever.

NOTE - When I had the original GEN2 tires, I could do the same thing when they were new, but not 15k miles later (as I'm doing today with the Bridgestones). I would be spinning in 3rd with the Goodyears, which was why I went to the Bridgestones before they Goodyears were fully worn out.

The Bridgestones also hold well on wet roads, I routinely drive safely with all traffic in some very heavy Florida rains.

I've driven my vette to WV when the temps have been in the teens, but I time the trips so that I don't hit snows. I've never had any traction issues there either. Granted, I'm not drag or road racing in these temps, but I could still accellerate/handle better than practically any other vehicle on the road then, if I chose to do so.

Not to highjack the thread, but here is some other dry sump vette info about my trip to work this morning at 5:20 am. The garage was about 50 degrees, and the DIC confirmed it with water and oil temps at 47 degrees. The HVAC outside air temp read 48 degrees. Tire pressures were 29 fronts and 28 for the rears.

When I backed out of the garage and started the 2 mile drive (at 30 mph) out of the neighborhood, the outside air temp quickly dropped to 27 - 28, and the water temp steadily rose to 145 degrees, at the end of the 2 mile slow drive to the interstate. Oil temp was 60 degrees. Yes, 60 degrees, it's nothing abmormal, with the dry sump it is a LOT of oil to warm up. After 2 miles of driving in the dark, tire pressures were still the same.

Then, to get onto the interstate, there is no accelleration lane, so I have to find a hole in the traffic and punch it, which I do daily with the vette. I normally take off here in 2nd, so that I can swing the sweeping turn on the interstate crossover without worry of spinning, and even in the sub 30 temps, I hit my normal 60 mph in 2nd with no issues. Grabbed 3rd, got up to the high 70's cruising speed, then worked my way to 6th.

Finally, when I finished the approx. 10 mile drive and pulled into work, I checked the temps again. Outside air was still 28 degrees on the HVAC, the front tires had increased 1 psi to 30 both fronts and 29/30 on the rears, the water temp was 192, and the oil temp was 83 degrees. YES, 83 degrees.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:23 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Congrats and welcome!!! If I get caught in the rain I never go over 55mph. with the GY tires. At some point this year I will be switching to the Bridgestones ...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....oModClar=Coupe

These are your choices for matched sets,GS tires....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...=58165&tab=All
Old 02-18-2013, 06:44 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,347 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Old 02-18-2013, 07:21 AM
A Marsh
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree. I drove my 11 GS Friday. It was cold (high 30s/low 40s) and drizzly. The car never felt anything but solid.

I agree there are better wet weather tires available, though.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:57 AM
AddisonD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by truth.b

I've driven my 13' GS in every thing, even tried snow for fun; but the best thing you can do is get the PFDAT alignment and be careful with the throttle in the lower gears.
The only experience I know of with corvette tires being unsafe in the rain, is reading about it on this forum. None of the people I know in Houston with these GY tires says they slide in the rain. Mine sure didn't when I did a 400 mile weekend in the rain, in city, backroad, and freeway travel. I don't know everyone that owns these tires, of course, and the people I do know are certainly safe drivers. But heck, my SUV with Michelins all weather tires will also slide if I do something silly in it, as will the wife's 650.

No comment on cold, however - we don't allow that here.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 AM
A Marsh
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I didn't care for the GY Supercar tires that came on my 08 Z51 coupe. I thought they had a terrible tendency to hydroplane.

I've not noticed that in my 11 GS.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Grandsport Rain and Cold Weather Tire?

Old 02-18-2013, 10:28 AM
JPJR
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree.
My drive into work this morning was 19 degrees.
Roads were dry.
My '13 GS is my daily driver here in Raleigh.
It stays home in snow or ice, but goes out in everything else.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:09 AM
tloon
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by rubyc6

I have these on my 10' GS and they are night and day better than the GY's. Excellent tires.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:03 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Michelin Super Sports are the way to go. My Corvette isn't a moving chicane in the rain any more and it is fantastic in the cold, even real cold such as 8 degrees or so. Not a run flat so you have to throw the dice on the .0001% chance you'll get a blowout. I rather throw the dice on that then driving with crappy Goodyears in the rain/below 40.

Welcome to the Corvette world. Regardless of what tire you have or even driving temps/conditions the Corvette can be a handful if not driven with common sense. There seems to be a lot of "my back end came around" stories. Generally it comes down to driver error in the end as they were probably driving too fast for conditions (includes tire performance) or gave it too much throttle for conditions.

Quick Reply: C6 Grandsport Rain and Cold Weather Tire?