C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Grandsport Rain and Cold Weather Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 04:05 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 63 Bassman
I replaced a BMW M3 with a 2012Centennial Grand Sport
Well, you didn't say which M3, but I did exactly the same thing ('08 M3 V8 with '12 GS 4LT CE). And have to tell you the G:2s are actually an improvement over the PS2s on the M3 IMO. And just like the GS, there's no rear stock size all-season tire for the M3. The PS2s are 'max summer', whereas the G:2s 'extreme summer'. Both are absolute crap in wet/cold weather. But the G:2s are better in cold/dry weather. But just as many said, neither is designed for cold weather, so you're taking risks by doing so, even if nothing happens. The problem is they break loose without any freaking warning, and that's the dangerous part. And yes, it happened to me on the M3, going STRAIGHT. Caught a freak storm, hit a pothole while cautiously going straight around 50 mph, and BAM!, I was sideways in an instant. It was like if I was on ice; no traction. Scary. Now I learned the hard way not to trust summer tires in winter .
Old 02-19-2013, 05:05 PM
rubyc6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Seadawg
I'm another Bridgestone fan, over the Goodyear GEN2's. I've now had the Bridgestones on the Grand Sport for over a year, and I like them. The Z06 drivers sold me on them originally.

It was 28 degrees this morning in my part of Florida, and is supposed to be colder tomorrow morning. Incidentally, the tires held very well (as they always have), and I did the usual 3/4 throttle romp, to get to the interstate speeds through the gears, with no spinning whatsoever.

NOTE - When I had the original GEN2 tires, I could do the same thing when they were new, but not 15k miles later (as I'm doing today with the Bridgestones). I would be spinning in 3rd with the Goodyears, which was why I went to the Bridgestones before they Goodyears were fully worn out.

The Bridgestones also hold well on wet roads, I routinely drive safely with all traffic in some very heavy Florida rains.

I've driven my vette to WV when the temps have been in the teens, but I time the trips so that I don't hit snows. I've never had any traction issues there either. Granted, I'm not drag or road racing in these temps, but I could still accellerate/handle better than practically any other vehicle on the road then, if I chose to do so.

Not to highjack the thread, but here is some other dry sump vette info about my trip to work this morning at 5:20 am. The garage was about 50 degrees, and the DIC confirmed it with water and oil temps at 47 degrees. The HVAC outside air temp read 48 degrees. Tire pressures were 29 fronts and 28 for the rears.

When I backed out of the garage and started the 2 mile drive (at 30 mph) out of the neighborhood, the outside air temp quickly dropped to 27 - 28, and the water temp steadily rose to 145 degrees, at the end of the 2 mile slow drive to the interstate. Oil temp was 60 degrees. Yes, 60 degrees, it's nothing abmormal, with the dry sump it is a LOT of oil to warm up. After 2 miles of driving in the dark, tire pressures were still the same.

Then, to get onto the interstate, there is no accelleration lane, so I have to find a hole in the traffic and punch it, which I do daily with the vette. I normally take off here in 2nd, so that I can swing the sweeping turn on the interstate crossover without worry of spinning, and even in the sub 30 temps, I hit my normal 60 mph in 2nd with no issues. Grabbed 3rd, got up to the high 70's cruising speed, then worked my way to 6th.

Finally, when I finished the approx. 10 mile drive and pulled into work, I checked the temps again. Outside air was still 28 degrees on the HVAC, the front tires had increased 1 psi to 30 both fronts and 29/30 on the rears, the water temp was 192, and the oil temp was 83 degrees. YES, 83 degrees.
That is great news!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:07 PM
rubyc6
Racer

Originally Posted by tloon
I have these on my 10' GS and they are night and day better than the GY's. Excellent tires.
Awesome!! We are scheduled to get ours on this Fri. Can't wait. We've got about 12,500 miles on the GY's and they are bad.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Rocket32
1st Gear

Thanks for the advise. I just purchased a 2012 GS on Wednesday. Live in NY where the temperature is below 40. Took the car out for the second day and out of no where i was completely sideways. So i am agreeing that the tires suck, but shouldnt the traction control system have done something?
Old 05-25-2019, 07:02 PM
Danno5069
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Terrible in the rain

Originally Posted by 63 Bassman
I replaced a BMW M3 with a 2012Centennial Grand Sport and I am terribly disappointed with the stock Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G2 tires as they are downright dangerous in anything but warm, dry weather. If the temperature drops to the low 40s , or the roads are wet, they have no traction!

In the forums, Grandsport and Z06 owners curse these tires and assert that they will be getting rid of them but what is a good replacement tire? I would never drive the car in snow or ice but I would like to drive it in the Pennsylvannia ealy Spring and Fall.

Can anyone suggest a better tire for rain and cooler temperatures that will suit a C6 Grand Sport?
I picked up my first Corvette today, 2011 Grand Sport with stock Goodyear tires. Going home on the highway, it started to pour, the car hydroplaned to the point that I could feel the rear wheels individually wobble. Is this normal. Scared the crap out of me, not used to it as I traded 2013 Audi Cabrio in for it.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:13 PM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,217 Likes on 794 Posts

The best tires for all season driving ( except winter) is the Michelin AS+3 rft specifically design for Corvette
The following 2 users liked this post by captain vette:
astaggs (05-26-2019), Fletch F. Fletch (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 07:38 PM
Danno5069
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about Firestone Firehawk, half the price of the runflats. I dont mind buying a small compressor and can of tire goo
Old 05-25-2019, 08:02 PM
Fletch F. Fletch
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Danno5069
What about Firestone Firehawk, half the price of the runflats. I dont mind buying a small compressor and can of tire goo
Firehawks get good reviews, especially for the money. Hard to beat Michelins, IMHO, especially the AS3+ for all weather driving.

*** edit --- I should clarify the Firehawks get good reviews for a non-all weather tire. Firehawk vs. Michelin AS3+ is apples and oranges ***

Last edited by Fletch F. Fletch; 05-26-2019 at 07:28 AM. Reason: clarifying
Old 05-25-2019, 08:20 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,634 Likes on 1,119 Posts

I just got some Bridgestone S007a's from TireRack for about $1k. They are not run flat. Traction is much better than the stock GoodYears I took off. I had the same complaints about the stock GoodYears and the traction issues. Go with a good summer tire and you should have no problem driving spring through fall. The Michelin all season (AS3+) tires are heavy in comparison to other tires for the GS. As much as 6-7 pounds heavier per tire compared to some others like the Conti Extreme Sports. They were not for me. Besides being heavy, they also don't have a sporty look imo which I didn't like.

Edit: I just noticed someone bumped up an old thread from 2013.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 05-25-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:53 AM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Danno5069
I picked up my first Corvette today, 2011 Grand Sport with stock Goodyear tires. Going home on the highway, it started to pour, the car hydroplaned to the point that I could feel the rear wheels individually wobble. Is this normal. Scared the crap out of me, not used to it as I traded 2013 Audi Cabrio in for it.
With probably rock hard old GYs, yes it's normal.

I have Continental DWS06 and have no complaints after 7000 miles. Excellent wear, no cold or rain issues. Some say they don't corner as well as summer-only and it's probably true, but the car is still faster than me. Tires are always about sacrifice, none is great at everything.

Good question, but next time please start a new thread instead of resurrecting an ancient one. Now people are going to respond to posts from 6 years ago.

Edit: Nevermind, just reread and saw you have a GS, so you're SOL with DWS06. Nobody's perfect.

Last edited by 919cw313; 05-26-2019 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:53 AM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is probably the best all season run-flat tire you can buy for your GS. Unlike your OEM Goodyears, these Michelins have very good traction down to zero and below. They are not true snow tires, but their tread and rubber compound will get you around safely in light snow. Any snowfall deeper than 3 inches will turn your front air dam into a plow, so you'll want to park it until the snow melts.

Personally I chose to buy a second set of chromes and mounted the A/S 3+ tires on them. I run my summer tires from mid-March until mid-November. Then I pull the summers and mount the winter set. I have a QuickJack BL5000 for my small garage, and a TPMS registration tool. Every spring when I switch to the summer wheels+tires, I get a full alignment. This winter / summer rotation has served me quite well for more than 12 years and 156,000 miles.

Here on CF you'll see some folks who prefer non-run-flats to run-flats, claiming a smoother ride. In theory, maybe. Corvette C6 suspensions have been engineered for run-flats, so I would recommend staying with them. They'll get you home safely every time.

Last edited by Eritosthenes; 05-26-2019 at 03:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Fletch F. Fletch (05-26-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 10:54 AM
Shelstin
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

I put on the Michelin A/S 3+ last Friday. After a lot of discussion on here, they are what I chose.
I had a 350 mile ride home, and hit a pretty good thunderstorm during the tornado outbreak in Oklahoma. I watched the radar pretty closely and made a run. Compared to the OEM's...well, there was nothing to compare to. Sooo much quieter and actually had traction in rain. Of course, any new tire would be better than a 1/3 tread tire, but I felt pretty comfortable after a while. The GY's were sketchy as hell. White knuckle sketchy. Also, the ride seems a bit softer now. It's still a Vette, but I feel a little give. I talked to my step dad on the way home. He's in his 80's now and can't get in and out anymore, but except for the last year or so, he has had Vette's all of his life. He hasn't worried about flats and really liked the Firestone's as a non run flat. He said he put on several sets. He said he got great service at that particular store and that was part of it, but he liked the tire.

Quick Reply: C6 Grandsport Rain and Cold Weather Tire?