C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I disable OnStar? They're spying on me!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:03 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see where some of you do not like the POSSIBILITY of being tracked or what ever. But unless you are a criminal and have something of INTEREST to hide, no big deal. It is a car, cars do not of themselves do bad things. I could care less if Big Brother or what ever legit entity tracks me, listens to my calls or reads my e-mail. Even to try to sell me something, because I have the power of NO and have absolutely nothing to hide or worry about. And if they want to listen to my farting in the car, so be it...have fun guys!
Old 06-25-2013, 08:04 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,936 Likes on 4,815 Posts

Really? Seriously? Come on, wow what next on the they are spying on me list.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

If this doesn't help:

You might need this:

Old 06-25-2013, 08:08 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KX
I can see where some of you do not like the POSSIBILITY of being tracked or what ever. But unless you are a criminal and have something of INTEREST to hide, no big deal. It is a car, cars do not of themselves do bad things. I could care less if Big Brother or what ever legit entity tracks me, listens to my calls or reads my e-mail. Even to try to sell me something, because I have the power of NO and have absolutely nothing to hide or worry about. And if they want to listen to my farting in the car, so be it...have fun guys!
Couldn't agree with you more. Could care less what they do.If they also want to listen to me and the GF in the car I can spice it up for them too.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:16 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 115 Posts

Hmm...seems to be a lot of paranoia going on here.

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/pa...rder-symptoms/
Old 06-25-2013, 08:23 PM
fred D
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Guns don't shoot people, people do.. Cars don't break laws, people do..
Old 06-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
Randy let me put it to you this way. In all the years you have been on this forum have you ever heard of onstar affecting someones life? ( in a bad way ) If you have I would like to hear the story.
You won't....it would be corporate suicide if they did. There are legitimate surveillance concerns but OnStar isn't one of them. The OnStar paranoia is ridiculous.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:31 PM
IrishSpuds
Le Mans Master

Received 464 Likes on 243 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Just out of curiosity what the hell does it matter. I have had it for 2 years and I could care less if they tracked me to Harlem picking up hookers and buying blow. Is your life going to change because they know how many miles or how much oil life is left on your car. Gimme a break. They could care less what your doing!
Dude - one of the funniest posts EVER!! I hollered but with my 9 & 7 year old sitting on the couch I had to inprovise as to my hollering. Greatly appreciated.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:02 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by KX
I use to think like you. I had nothing to hide and still have nothing to hide, but now, after thinking more about the issue in broader terms, when they have the power to covertly infringe on my rights, not publicly, but covertly, then they have the power, and the will, to ignore me, and you, when we say No!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:09 PM
jdk541
Safety Car

Received 606 Likes on 291 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22-'23

Just out of curiosity what the hell does it matter. I have had it for 2 years and I could care less if they tracked me to Harlem picking up hookers and buying blow. Is your life going to change because they know how many miles or how much oil life is left on your car. Gimme a break. They could care less what your doing!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:22 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I have not, but it's not hard to imagine how easy it would be for insurance companies to match up VIN#s and recorded speeds. You have to believe there was a reason they wanted to track all onstar boxes if you were subscribed or not. What reason other than to gather information and sell it?

I try not to wear a tinfoil cap, but with all the invasion of privacy going on lately, I have several on hand....

Do you think it's timely and appropriate to start a Thread on which brand of tinfoil makes the best cap . . . and perhaps a second Thread on popular mods to your tinfoil cap ???
Old 06-25-2013, 09:29 PM
LSD 2005
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-25-2013, 09:31 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Do you think it's timely and appropriate to start a Thread on which brand of tinfoil makes the best cap . . . and perhaps a second Thread on popular mods to your tinfoil cap ???
I'm thinking the heavy duty stuff to be safe...

And don't forget everyone in the family...

Name:  448baa2381789_6442n.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  44.4 KB
Old 06-25-2013, 09:33 PM
StuSegal
47 yrs of Vettes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glenB
I had nothing to hide and still have nothing to hide, but now, after thinking more about the issue in broader terms, when they have the power to covertly infringe on my rights, not publicly, but covertly, then they have the power, and the will, to ignore me, and you, when we say No!
Nothing to hide? Yes. Me too. Unless we are counting every time I exceed the posted speed limit - which is pretty darned frequently. Could you imagine what it would be like if our cars actually reported our violations?

You are absolutely right. I don't remember anyone asking our permission for the police to use radar, or speed guns . . . or redlight cameras. Or, apparently, cellphone records. And they certainly won't be asking our permission to take the next step, be it OnStar, EZPass, or whatever.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:35 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attachment 47728238
Knock it off Randy........you're having too much fun....!!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:42 PM
MelAnn
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default One thing I haven't seen discussed......

While making your hat, make sure the shiny side is "out".
Old 06-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Attachment 47728238
That's not a family. This is a family.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I disable OnStar? They're spying on me!

Old 06-25-2013, 09:43 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Since your experienced, do you think it would be OK if I add Z51 emblems to my foil cap
Old 06-25-2013, 09:46 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by StuSegal
Nothing to hide? Yes. Me too. Unless we are counting every time I exceed the posted speed limit - which is pretty darned frequently. Could you imagine what it would be like if our cars actually reported our violations?

You are absolutely right. I don't remember anyone asking our permission for the police to use radar, or speed guns . . . or redlight cameras. Or, apparently, cellphone records. And they certainly won't be asking our permission to take the next step, be it OnStar, EZPass, or whatever.

Yep, a few people would be changing their tune wouldn't they? It's really not that far fetched to think someday that will be a reality. The technology is already there, but hey, who cares.....

Last edited by R&L's C6; 06-25-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:47 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by StuSegal
. I don't remember anyone asking our permission for the police to use radar, or speed guns . . . or redlight cameras.
You my friend are out of control and paranoid. While you are at it, take away their guns also and just let society run rampant and do whatever they want. When a cop pulls you over for speeding do you tell him he infringed on your rights because he used a speed gun without your permission? You have a twisted way of thinking.

Quick Reply: Can I disable OnStar? They're spying on me!