C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 vs. C7

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 03:59 PM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

I got to see, sit in, and explore the new C7 at Bloomington Gold. Wow, the car is much better in person. The body lines, interior, and yes the rear of the car is sweet. The interior materials are much better than in my '06. The technology is amazing too.

I too did not like the rear end at first, but I see why GM designed the rear lights that way. They flow and fit the body lines. The stock exhaust has also been refined...must better aggressive sound.

I plan on buying a C7 in about 4 years.

Just my .02...

MT
Old 07-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Z_Monzter
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JJPonzini
I like the design overall. But buying at MSRP isn't going to happen. I can wait till the deals are a little better and I'll trade up from a C6 to C7.
Don't forget about the 5k - 10k mark-up price!!!

That is exactly why I just bought a 13 GS. The 14 is sweet, I could afford it but I'm not willing to pay that kind of money for a car.

Besides I love the wide body look of the GS and it will be a few years before they do that to the C7.

Maybe one day later down the road I will trade, in the mean time I will enjoy the C6 to the fullest.

Last edited by Z_Monzter; 07-25-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:12 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Z_Monzter
Don't forget about the 5k - 10k makup price!!!

That is exactly why I just bought a 13 GS. The 14 is sweet, I could afford it but I'm not willing to pay that kind of money for a car.

Besides I love the wide body look of the GS and it will be a few years before they do that to the C7.

Maybe one day later down the road I will trade, in the mean time I will enjoy the C6 to the fullest.
If you're referring to additional dealer mark-up, you picked the wrong reason to not buy a '14. Even now, most people here are paying at or under M.S.R.P.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:35 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
There you go if the Rebel does not like it than it has to be bad, cause the Rebel ain't buying it unless it is good. And he knows good.
Someone let the center know dvilin is off his meds again.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:43 AM
Z_Monzter
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
If you're referring to additional dealer mark-up, you picked the wrong reason to not buy a '14. Even now, most people here are paying at or under M.S.R.P.
Hmm, not in the East Coast or at least the dealers that I talk to.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:06 AM
vettenewbieap
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saw my first C7

A couple of days ago, at PAX River in Southern Maryland saw a Blue Convertible C7. Beautiful car, it was parked at the Navy Exchange parking lot, all the way at the back. The owner parked across two parking spaces, LOL. I parked my 2013 GS next to it and the first thing I noticed was the lack of a wide body down low mean a$$ stance that my GS has. It's a great looking car but honestly it doesn't have that menacing stance the C6 GS, Z06 or ZR1 has IMO. The rear end does look like it has a Camaro influence to it. All in all it really is a nice looking car, the interior of the C7 looks real good too. Didn't have my cell phone with me at the time but next time I see it I'll take a picture and post it.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:37 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

To say I am not buying a 14 because of the tail lights is an understatement. If your car is five years old and you have the financial support you are probably a customer. No one is going to take the fall from trading a 2010 on up unless they are floating in cash.
GM has completed some fine updates while keeping the msrp within reach of the sports car enthusiasts. Check for an equal in the foreign market and I am sure the price will double. The old saying... you can't please everyone ( including some whiners just wanting to be heard ) is certainly present in every manufacturing product.
For the procrastinators ......... if you don't like the 14 Corvette, buy a Dodge. Mopar people will welcome you with open arms and really need your support especially with the Italian ancestry. They will design trapezoid tail lamps for those placing orders if you feel it is the answer.

I have four Corvettes and dam proud of every one of them. I like spoiling my children so a 14 isn't my first priority. (now )
I couldn't imagine going without having owned vettes since 1973. Hats off to the General. I have never lost a dime owning America's only true sports car.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Nino S
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingspoke
I'm not drinking the C7 Kool Aid at this time. I'll try to remain objective until after I see one in person and drive one. The back end is like a bad acid trip imo, but a lot of the styling is very nice going forward (less the stupid fangs in front).

I'm glad I bought the 427, I really love this car, but knowing my penchant to change cars every 3-4 years, I will probably go Porsche (used) 911 before I would go for the gimmicky C7.

The C7 seems to be influenced by the Ferrari body style, yet Ferrari chose to stick with the round lights. The new Porsche 911 still looks like (991) a Porsche 911 even though updated (over the 997). The C7 back end looks to me, "Hey let's forget about the signature Corvette style, let's just go in a totally new direction".

To me you're getting off a winning signature/style. Porsche has updated 911 to the 991 but still looks like Porsche, Harley (110 years old) still looks like a Harley, Ferrari still has it's signature round lights, Corvette C7's back end looks very similar to a Camaro and takes away from the Corvette signature imo.

I admit I'm new to the Vettes, but there is something about tradition with updated electronics/suspension, technology, etc. Look at the Peterbilt 379, the Harley Davidson Ultra, The Porsche 911, the Ferrari, all iconic vehicles that retain their signature characteristic though greatly updated. Heritage & timeless style! There's something to be said about 60 years of Iconic tradition that you don't simply take for granted and abandon. JMO
you took the words out of my mouth. Very well said. Ever since I knew what a car was and played the guessing game with my dad as a kid going down the highway on road trips play the tail light game. I was born in the 80' and yes I understand that the Vette has not ALWAYS had round tail lights but that is all I know it as. 4 circles = Vette. The new C7 tail lights = WTF?
Old 07-25-2013, 03:27 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks Nino S! 52 years running speaks alot about the distinctive trademark rear end, whereas BMW has had the twin grills since the thirties, and still going (evolving) strong.

Both my son & daughter think the new rear end looks great, as do many forum members, but it seems to be a love/hate style. I can't see the new style rear end making a run that long, but who knows?
Old 04-20-2014, 08:11 AM
faninc
Drifting

Received 637 Likes on 364 Posts

Default first felt the same way.

Got past the tail lights issue. Just received my C7 and love it. Btw...looks like chevy got tired of the camaro tail light comparison. Check out tail lights on 2014 camaro...can you say Honda Accord? Goodbye comparisons.

I owned a C6 and I will tell you my artic white has received more thumbs up and parked car gawkers in one week than I remember ever getting from the C6. Also have people thinking it was a Lambo at first. LOL . I guess Chevy got a few things right on the new design. Lastly at $55k there is simply no better perfornance car on the planet!

Originally Posted by noz34me
I agree with what you said, probably not as passionately though.

It will be interesting to see if, given the general negativity surrounding the tail lights if there is a redesign soon. Sometimes change is hard.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:59 AM
Pittcorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok, First and last time that I will post on this subject. This is my first corvette. You can say that I have waited all my life to get it. Ok here it goes, I purchased a new torch red 2012 1lt C6 Corvette. Ever since i purchased her, I've added a HUD, sound system and many many mods both engine and looks. I don't use her as my daily driver mainly because of health reasons, but when I do get to drive her the sensation helps me forget about my health issues. I'm sure we all feel it when we are going down the road, holding the steering wheel in both your hands knowing that we own one of the most sought after vehicles in the world. There is nothing like owning a corvette. I remember when I signed my last piece of paper when I purchased her. The salesman looked at me, smiled and said welcome to the fraternity. Driving home the first night, well my wife drove her first, again due to health reasons, and oh by the way, my wife learned to drive manual that night. Her first experience driving manual was on a 1995 Ford Mustand, and was left tramatized by the experience. She was shifting like a champ immediately on the corvette. I couldn't stop grinning from ear to ear with happiness both because I had taught my wife to drive manual and I FINALLY OWNED A CORVETTE!!!! I guess the only gripe that I had with "Scarlette", that's what I named my vette, which was the orginal non nav sound system, which was rectified by Dennis from DD mods. I called my brother, who is a mustang guy, currently owns a 2005 cobra, to gripe about the stereo and his words were, "Bro, you don't buy a Corvette for the stereo". Sometimes the big brothers learn from the little brothers. . Anyway, everywhere I go, I always look at the cars next to me and see people starting at my car. Guys, in other cars drooling, staring at the corvette, by the way that use to be me. Ladies telling their male companions to check out the car. I'm pumping gas, grocery shopping, anywhere I stop I have people inquiring about my car. I always try to take the time to answer all their questions, take pictures, etc. So to the C7, am I completely in love with the car? It's a yes and no. Also I'm a 40+ year old man. Funny because I look at pictures on the internet of the C7 and it looks hot!! I want to go run out and trade my C6 in. Then I see one in person and I'm well it's nice, BUT!!! That BUT always seems to come out. But the driver side space is limited, But the cylinder deactivation, But the rear end, that does in my opinion, look camaroish, But the sticker price etc. I then turn and look at my C6 and smile. Funny because I don't see my C6 as dated, I see her design as classic. The C6 still holds the integrity of the classics before it. The C7, in my opinion, kinda veered away from that. Will I ever own one, Time will tell. My wife said no, she does not like the C7 and she is a sports car fan. I know Chevrolet designed the C7 for the younger crowd. Maybe they can design one for us seasoned vets in mind. 😀Bottom line, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One man's trash is another man's gold. We are lucky enough to own a corvette. Be happy with that!!

P.S. I am not trying to bash, change, insult anyone. If I did I apologize. One more thing, if u like the C7, buy it. If u don't, well don't buy it. It's that simple. Have a Great, but Safe Easter.

Last edited by Pittcorvette; 04-20-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:02 AM
impala
Instructor

One nice thing about the new C7 is the C6 forum is a lot more fun to be on. All the my ***** is bigger than yours have moved to the on to tell the world how great there car is and how poor yours is. I love the new car as I have all Corvettes since my first, never told anyone there car is inferior to mine no matter what the make, I really don't care that you have added a Corvette to your Fleet Of Exotic Cars. Different People Different Times. The old saying the Difference between a porcupine and a Porsche Is were all the ****** are has filtered over to some Corvette owners as well. If I offend any one, well if the shoe fits wear it.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:18 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by rakuhn
I will pass on the C7, it simply does not appeal to me. My C6 looks better to me than the new one.
It didn't appeal to me when it came out a year ago, and still doesn't. If it was going to grow on me, it would have by now, and it hasn't.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:37 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
The back of the C7 looks bad ***!! And doesn't even remotely look like a camaro IMO

It looks like a NEW bad *** Vette. Deal with it.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:56 PM
NVaughn
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Front Page News!

Thought we'd let the front page crowd in on this one...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...ette-showdown/
Old 03-16-2015, 01:17 PM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

C6 has alot of legroom and I miss that.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:55 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Well, I put 3K miles on my C7Z, and have to say it is a fantastic Corvette! So very comfortable, on top of great performance. I still don't like the C7 rear end, and actually prefer the C6 styling overall, but the comfort, performance, & technology aspects of the C7Z have won me over.

If I could get a 427 with C7 seats, upgraded interior, & upgraded infotainment then I would do that (cost prohibitive). I do like the front clip of the C7Z though.

The LT4 motor is fantastic in terms of performance, economy (without eco mode), smoothness, and quiet valve train & S/C. I love the LS7 motor (though mine failed - spun bearing), but wish it had forged pistons and stronger heads like the LT4 (I'm not a gear head so don't beat up on me, enough has been said about the LS7 heads controversy).

Time marches on, though so I'll go with the flow until the C8 comes out (with the round tail lights), or go with the Viper vert in 2016.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++

(Off subject: A modified LS7 would have made a better Z06 track car imo, but Tadge says GM could not meet emissions, and squeeze targeted performance levels with that platform).
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To C6 vs. C7

Old 03-16-2015, 02:20 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

So why exactly was this thread revived twice?
Old 03-16-2015, 02:53 PM
Tarl
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

I bought my C6 back in 2012 before we even knew what the C7 was going to look like and rumors were rampant that it was going to be a turbo-charged V6.

With 2 years to go still before it was even avail, did I want to keep my 2010 Camaro (which was a great car in it's own right) or get a great deal on a C6, enjoy it for 2years then see about a C7.

I decided to go with a hugely discounted C6 and love it.

Owning any Corvette is being in the "Vette Family" now and I don't always need to have the latest and greatest avail. With the C6 just about paid off and being retired now, do I really want to fork over a premium price (the MSRP of the C7 has went up twice already).

With my own C6 not being driven enough and it still basically "new" no need to be spending all that additional cash to buy a car that is what? Newer for sure but is it really worth all that additional spending? For me right now, no, but down the road, perhaps.

Get the Corvette you like and can afford....owning a Corvette is beautiful, fun and enjoyable no matter what the year!

Last edited by Tarl; 03-16-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:24 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as styling I like the front end and interior better on the C7, I think the front end styling and side view is even with the wide body C6 cars and C7's, rear end styling of the C6 looks much better, straight up I would take a C7 over a C6 except the 427 Vert which I think I would rather have over any C7 including the Z06, however I would not pay double for a C7 over a nice C6.

Last edited by F&Yb0dluvr; 03-16-2015 at 03:26 PM.

Quick Reply: C6 vs. C7