Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 07-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
RandelB
CF Senior Member

Default Model Year Production Numbers

I have recently been curious about how many cars were built identically to mine. To that end , I found several sites that break down the production numbers to some generalized categories, but it's difficult to discern further details. For example: model year 2007, 21,484 coupes, 4,730 were Z51 coupes, 1,511 were Z51's MZ6 manual trans coupes. There were 1,672 velocity yellow coupes, and 13,529 coupes with 19I ebony interior.

My question is...how many 2007, 3LT, Z51, manual, coupes in Velocity Yellow with Ebony interior? Is there any resource that will answer this curiosity?
RandelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
JimTN
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandelB View Post
I have recently been curious about how many cars were built identically to mine. To that end , I found several sites that break down the production numbers to some generalized categories, but it's difficult to discern further details. For example: model year 2007, 21,484 coupes, 4,730 were Z51 coupes, 1,511 were Z51's MZ6 manual trans coupes. There were 1,672 velocity yellow coupes, and 13,529 coupes with 19I ebony interior.

My question is...how many 2007, 3LT, Z51, manual, coupes in Velocity Yellow with Ebony interior? Is there any resource that will answer this curiosity?
No.
JimTN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
duckvett
CF Senior Member

JimTN is correct. GM does not keep records based on the different combinations available. All you can do is pick the lowest number from the production numbers and tell everyone "this Corvette is one of 1511". I do the same with ours - in 2010 there were 2335 GS convertibles, 1987 had chrome wheels, 480 had the seat embroidery, 405 came with Ebony/Lt. Titanium interior, 275 were Cyber Gray and only 169 came with a gray top. So I say ours is 1 of 169! Certainly not correct or scientific, but there is no way to know exactly how many of this combination were produced.

duckvett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:23 AM   #4
HOXXOH
CF Senior Member

There used to be a site for GM products several years ago, but it's gone now. Although many questioned it's accuracy, my experience found it correct for my '04 Silverado.

Out of the 680K trucks built that year, the website showed only 5 built identically to mine. The dealer where I bought mine had a large commercial customer who wanted 4 pickup trucks with specific equipment that was not available on that model. The dealer had to order 5 to get GM to approve the special order. I was the lucky guy who was there at the right time to score a deal on the oddball 5th truck.
HOXXOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:40 AM   #5
ProfessorDeath
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Michael D. Bircher
Send a message via AIM to ProfessorDeath

This is something we've all wondered about but unfortunately it would take hundreds of hours of compiling and tracking to put this together. Corvette action center has some fairly detailed info that may help.
ProfessorDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:57 AM   #6
OldCorvetteFan
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckvett View Post
JimTN is correct. GM does not keep records based on the different combinations available. All you can do is pick the lowest number from the production numbers and tell everyone "this Corvette is one of 1511". I do the same with ours - in 2010 there were 2335 GS convertibles, 1987 had chrome wheels, 480 had the seat embroidery, 405 came with Ebony/Lt. Titanium interior, 275 were Cyber Gray and only 169 came with a gray top. So I say ours is 1 of 169! Certainly not correct or scientific, but there is no way to know exactly how many of this combination were produced.

Why do you say that your method isn't correct or scientific?

You're making use of the information at your disposal to derive an educated guess about the relative uniqueness of your car - and your method is reasonable, fact based, and repeatable. That sounds a LOT like the science/engineering I do all the time.

That was my exact approach when trying to evaluate the likelihood of finding the C6 that I wanted. I was looking for ...

Grand Sport Coupe
Automatic
3LT or 4LT
Crystal Red
Ebony interior

The first controlling factor was the exterior color, since my Black Book was showing only about 500/year for GS coupes.

What I couldn't determine was the proportion of that set of cars that had just the ebony interior. It appeared that the cars for sale during my search period were predominantly equipped with black and cashmere.

My search showed that ebony ONLY was about one out of every five or six that I found that met my criteria. I can't say that this ratio is correct - it just happens to be what popped up during my search.

So, I settle on saying that I KNOW that my 2011 GS CRM coupe is one of about 500, and is probably even more unique because it also was ordered with the Heritage Package - and that seems to be very unusual for the pure ebony interior (it's also quite expensive for someone to have paid $1195 for "Grand Sport" embroidered on the seats, since the stripes weren't put on the car, and the two tone interior color is ebony on ebony!).

In the end, it really doesn't matter how unique the car is (not likely to add to it's value) - but when people are asking about the car, it gives me a way to put some of the options and equipment into context.

Steven

NCM Master Ambassador (2009)
OldCorvetteFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:34 PM   #7
duckvett
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCorvetteFan View Post
Why do you say that your method isn't correct or scientific?
Steven
I used the phrase "not correct or scientific" because I have no way of knowing for a fact how many 2010 Grand Sport convertibles were built with my specific set of options, colors, etc. Corvette Action Center tells me that of the 2335 built 275 were Cyber Gray and that 169 (of ALL colors) left the plant with a gray top. But GM cannot tell us how many Cyber Gray GS convertibles had a gray top. I could guess that it would be fewer than the 169 total, but no way of knowing an exact number.

I just had another thought...........I wonder if the Library & Archives at the NCM would be a place to research this question? I believe they have copies of all the build sheets. I would have to file through all the GS convertibles and watch for exterior & convertible top codes. Hmmm..............

duckvett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:56 PM   #8
psp6158
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I bought the "black book" for this reason... kind of funny, in the book it says that is the number one reason people buy it. I love how they explain it, extrapolation, to project known data or experience into an area not known or experienced so as to arrive at a conjectural knowledge of the unknown area... so basicly you do what these guys told you and get the lowest number... I hope you are retired duckvett and have OCD, I'll go with the percentages lol...
psp6158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:56 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page Model Year Production Numbers