C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drove an 08 Vette today, taking the wife with me tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 07:08 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I would skip the warranty, use the money to find a new/less miles car if you have it to spend. Or take the money and get some mod' s for your new car.

Congratulations on being a C6 owner!
Old 11-23-2014, 10:00 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 150 Posts

OP, your biggest mistake was to ask the forum members their opinions if you should buy this car at this price. You and only you need to make that decision based on the car and options you want. Everyone will be an arm chair quarterback and tell you what to do and not to do. It is your money, spend it as you wish.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:14 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick369
OP, your biggest mistake was to ask the forum members their opinions if you should buy this car at this price. You and only you need to make that decision based on the car and options you want. Everyone will be an arm chair quarterback and tell you what to do and not to do. It is your money, spend it as you wish.
The OP initially wrote seeking other's opinions. With your comment above, you're doing exactly what you're chastising....giving your opinion and being an arm chair quarterback as to what he should or shouldn't do. If someone is going to post a question, then he/she should be able to handle the myriad of responses. I think he's gotten a lot of good advice from the knowledgeable members here.

Jon
Old 11-23-2014, 10:59 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by airmed2
The OP initially wrote seeking other's opinions. With your comment above, you're doing exactly what you're chastising....giving your opinion and being an arm chair quarterback as to what he should or shouldn't do. If someone is going to post a question, then he/she should be able to handle the myriad of responses. I think he's gotten a lot of good advice from the knowledgeable members here.

Jon
You need to reread his original post. He was not asking if he should buy the car and what cost. He was asking opinions on what he should be looking at as far as possible issues. This post has turned into most everyone telling him he is paying too much and he should be looking for another car.

OP if you found the car you like with the options you want and are comfortable with the price, buy it.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:39 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick369

OP if you found the car you like with the options you want and are comfortable with the price, buy it.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:30 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwor
Living in an area with cold winters, and being that I will drive this car as long as there isn't snow on the ground, I want to have heated seats. To get that I have to go 3LT package. If I was buying the car as a track car, I would go 1LT without thinking twice, but as I'm going to drive the vehicle a lot I want to have the luxuries included...
I understand, being from a warmer climate in California heate seats are over the top as is Nav and backup cameras for me, at least in my C6.

Less is better to avoid GM cost trimming in production.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:49 AM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

The price of the car sounds reasonable to me, of course most on the forum would say i overpaid if i told them what i bought mine for, but after having it now for almost three years i'm glad i bought mine, for those that tell you to buy a less optioned car i say buy the car with the options you want in it, mine is fully loaded with heated seats etc, the only option i don't have is factory nav, and i am glad to have a fully optioned car, this is a personal choice for each buyer and no one should tell you what option package you need or don't need. even though your mechanic said the clutch is ok and most likely it is no one can say how much life is left on it , it mostly depends on how the previous owner drove the car and you cant see the clutch disc to get a visual of the pad like you can on brakes, the most anyone can tell you is it's working fine right now, i tend to think you felt the clutch hang for a second and the problem didn't repeat itself, it may be as simple a fix as the ranger method, which most anyone can do, or maybe the slave cylinder needs to be replaced which as i understand can cost around $500.00 to replace, the only other thing i would look at and hopefully your mechanic took a look at is the harmonic balancer on the car which is known to go bad on a small percentage of these cars and around a $1200.00 repair, Good Luck with whatever you decide.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:03 AM
RT2SJB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default two questions

it's simple, just ask youself two questions, 1. Do you like the car? 2. Can afford the car? If your answer was yes to both questions go buy the car and enjoy it.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:25 AM
383LPE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when shopping for my 08 C6Z I wanted a documented pedigree, low miles, not to many gizmos that would be issues in the long run and that's exactly what I got. 1400 miles and garage kept, but driven weekly. I'll likely list it on the forum eventually since I only have a 4 car garage.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I think this place is a great resource for prospective buyer when it comes to potential problems and what to look out for when buying. Price, not so much. When it comes to members advice the buying price is always too high/rip off and they or someone else they know always got theirs for a steal or cheap then when it comes to the forum member selling the values suddenly increase. You'll always find a better deal a week after you bought your car etc, it always happens. As long as you got what you wanted and didn't compromise what you wanted you wont regret it.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:47 AM
42Chevy
It's 5 o'clock Somewhere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
St Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Well.... Did you get it? Do you have that permanent Corvette smile that only comes with ownership?
Old 11-25-2014, 07:48 PM
tjwor
Advanced

Originally Posted by 42Chevy
Well.... Did you get it? Do you have that permanent Corvette smile that only comes with ownership?
Long story short, it's in my garage and I have a big grin on my face!

Long story long, I went back and took another look over the car. It was rainy the first 2 times I looked/drove the vehicle so I wanted to get a look at it when it was dry and I could roll around on the ground a bit.

Looked over the glove box codes to get an idea of what the car came equipped with. Realized the biggest issue with a dealer that isn't familiar with Corvettes is that sometimes they don't know what they have. For a first time buyer who has read thousands of posts about Corvettes, I realized I still didn't know the first thing either!

The car was factory equipped with NPP and the Z51 package. It now has SLP Loudmouth exhausts, which are fine except for the excessive drone @80mph. Good news is they are axle back only and the vacuum line for NPP is still in place. I'll likely look to find a used set of stock NPP exhausts at some point.

Everything else was pretty straight forward on the car, and I decided it was the one for me. Picked it up last night and I'm loving her!

The wife and I after the paperwork was done!
Old 11-25-2014, 07:51 PM
42Chevy
It's 5 o'clock Somewhere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
St Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Long story long, I went back and took another look over the car. It was rainy the first 2 times I looked/drove the vehicle so I wanted to get a look at it when it was dry and I could roll around on the ground a bit.

Looked over the glove box codes to get an idea of what the car came equipped with. Realized the biggest issue with a dealer that isn't familiar with Corvettes is that sometimes they don't know what they have. For a first time buyer who has read thousands of posts about Corvettes, I realized I still didn't know the first thing either!

The car was factory equipped with NPP and the Z51 package. It now has SLP Loudmouth exhausts, which are fine except for the excessive drone @80mph. Good news is they are axle back only and the vacuum line for NPP is still in place. I'll likely look to find a used set of stock NPP exhausts at some point.

Everything else was pretty straight forward on the car, and I decided it was the one for me. Picked it up last night and I'm loving her!

Thats excellent! Congrats!!!!! Welcome to Corvette ownership.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:09 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Congrats too and enjoy the ride!

You're a lot younger than I was when getting the first vette.

Remember to really think before acting offhandedly when driving this car.

Good luck with the ride.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:10 PM
rsparks64
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 160 Posts

congrats
Old 11-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Old Ben
Team Owner

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 C6 of Year Finalist

Congrats on your nice looking C6. Drive it and enjoy.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:16 PM
tjwor
Advanced

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Congrats too and enjoy the ride!

You're a lot younger than I was when getting the first vette.

Remember to really think before acting offhandedly when driving this car.

Good luck with the ride.
I had a very close run in the first time I jumped on a Hayabusa several years ago, it was the best thing that ever happened to me when it comes to fast vehicles. I have a lot more respect for them than I would have otherwise. I'll be taking this no where near it's limits.

I'm a fairly young new owner (27), but I look like I'm about 18 so I'm sure I'll get a lot of strange looks and questions about my "Dad's" car!

Get notified of new replies

To Test Drove an 08 Vette today, taking the wife with me tomorrow!

Old 11-25-2014, 08:21 PM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Congratulations on the new purchase. Look into Billy Boat Fusions as well and a Mild to Wild controller once you get controllable exhaust.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:11 AM
08C6
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Was going to say you guys are young !!! Happy you got your C6... Car looks good... Oh yeah that permanent smile doesn't wear off it always seems to come back !!! Welcome to the family and play safe...
Old 11-26-2014, 09:10 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

I had a very close run in the first time I jumped on a Hayabusa several years ago, it was the best thing that ever happened to me when it comes to fast vehicles. I have a lot more respect for them than I would have otherwise. I'll be taking this no where near it's limits.

I'm a fairly young new owner (27), but I look like I'm about 18 so I'm sure I'll get a lot of strange looks and questions about my "Dad's" car!

AND you had the best kind of lesson, learning from it the first time.

This should serve you well over and over throughout your life.

I suspect the mufflers will be changed quickly. The drone gets real old with more highway driving time.

I was 60 yrs old and wanted one, more or less, since 1962.

Not a DD for me but a toy.

Quick Reply: Test Drove an 08 Vette today, taking the wife with me tomorrow!