C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drove an 08 Vette today, taking the wife with me tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 10:00 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,957 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Congratulations on the new to you car! Sent you a PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:09 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,914 Likes on 1,924 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Congratulations on a great looking C6.
Your gonna love it or hate it. Most love it, and the smile never goes away.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:13 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 313 Likes on 200 Posts

Congrats! I'm taking delivery of a 2008 3LT F55 NPP black convertible next week myself/
Old 11-26-2014, 12:47 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by boraxman
Congrats! I'm taking delivery of a 2008 3LT F55 NPP black convertible next week myself/
congrats! back in da game huh.

congrats op...she sure is purty! and you got her in the fastest color to boot!
Old 11-26-2014, 01:49 PM
guido1205us
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats - Nice ride man
Old 11-26-2014, 02:14 PM
JOEMC08C6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwor
Thanks for all of the responses.

My primary search range has been 1,000 miles from my home (central Kansas) which gives me a big area, but misses some of the high population costal areas.

I am willing to travel to get the car, but the extra costs involved in that would cut into savings IF I found one cheaper.

I'll have the car looked at by someone outside of Carmax, and check all the fluids. If anything seems off I will walk in a heart beat. The car does come with a 30-day warranty, so if something would come up within that time frame it would be covered.

I'm willing to over pay a touch ($1000-1500) for the convenience if it all. Not having to fly somewhere, give a random person a check for a piece of paper and set of keys, drive however far back home, get the thing inspected and registered, pay sales tax out of pocket, hope that their are no issues on an as-is vehicle. This would be a walk out today with all of that completed, which saves me a lot of stress.

The car does not have Z51, which is an option I wasn't really wanting. I'm not buying the car for the track and would like a little bit softer suspension as the roads I'm frequently on aren't the smoothest.

Keep the comments coming, I like to hear all sides of things. Definitely gives me more things to look into on the car before making a decision!
You mention it doesn't have the Z51 option, but I see the drilled rotors... might wonder why if it's not Z51 optioned?
Old 11-26-2014, 02:32 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,622 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Originally Posted by JOEMC08C6
You mention it doesn't have the Z51 option, but I see the drilled rotors... might wonder why if it's not Z51 optioned?
he went back and checked the RPO codes in the glove box:

"The car was factory equipped with NPP and the Z51 package. It now has SLP Loudmouth exhausts, which are fine except for the excessive drone @80mph. Good news is they are axle back only and the vacuum line for NPP is still in place. I'll likely look to find a used set of stock NPP exhausts at some point."

looks like a great car and it's a bonus when the wife appreciates and enjoys it too!
Old 11-26-2014, 04:27 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on your new ride - enjoy!
I commented early on - but admit that I have not read everything in between.
Which brings me to my question...
Is this car for you - or does she get to drive it as well?
I ask since with my 1st Vette - the wife had a good amount of behind the wheel time.
Nothing wrong with that - but since then I have only bought manuals!
Old 11-26-2014, 04:33 PM
tjwor
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the kudos everyone!

Originally Posted by Stickshiftsteve
Congrats on your new ride - enjoy!
I commented early on - but admit that I have not read everything in between.
Which brings me to my question...
Is this car for you - or does she get to drive it as well?
I ask since with my 1st Vette - the wife had a good amount of behind the wheel time.
Nothing wrong with that - but since then I have only bought manuals!
This car is for me, but she is already a little sad she doesn't know how to drive stick as she would like to drive it. More than anything I think she feels left out because her 2013 SUV is no longer the nicest vehicle in the garage .

I told her if we can talk my friend into letting us borrow his old Honda Civic for a few weekends for her to learn to drive a manual, then she can drive this some.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:07 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for all the kudos everyone!

This car is for me, but she is already a little sad she doesn't know how to drive stick as she would like to drive it. More than anything I think she feels left out because her 2013 SUV is no longer the nicest vehicle in the garage .

I told her if we can talk my friend into letting us borrow his old Honda Civic for a few weekends for her to learn to drive a manual, then she can drive this some.
Yea - good luck with that!
I bet she has her own key stashed away & will learn to drive like we all did ... by trial & error with a few stalls along the way.
Hey- I'm a realist & I even let my kids drive stick the 1st time in mine.
Hope you Both enjoy your new ride!
It's only a car.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:21 PM
ATOMIC ORANG
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi, Just Bought a New 2008 Z06 with 18,000 miles One owner, they were asking 48,995 Bought it Shipped to the door for 42,700 i thought i did well, Good Luck.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:59 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Congrats on your new car!
Old 11-26-2014, 06:04 PM
Elizabeth City Vette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Picked it up last night and I'm loving her!

The wife and I after the paperwork was done!
Congratulations on joining in on the fun that will follow! What a great looking C6 and smile. Like everyone says, that smile will be there every time you get behind the wheel. Enjoy!
Old 11-27-2014, 08:54 PM
8Blkc6
3rd Gear

Default 08 Vette

I've been looking (mainly dreaming) at Corvettes for as long as I can remember. Finally to the point that I've decided I can get one if I want.

Found an '08 3LT with 60K for $27,999. It has every option I was wanting except F55 & NPP.

1G1YY26W685100808

The car has 1 small chip which was touched up on the RT QT panel, 1 small scuff on the left rear bumper which can be buffed, 1 small scuff above the emblem on the front bumper that can be buffed, and a couple tiny marks on the RT head lamp. Interior has no signs of wear (will need to check under the rubber floor mats that are installed). Also, the RT corner of the bumper, between the lamp and the hood, is raised slightly. I looked at another Vette on the lot that had the same thing going on. Is this common?

It drove great, nothing sounded out of place, everything under the hood is clean, no signs of water, belt ran straight. Shifted smooth and everything seemed in place. Did a couple of tight slow figure 8's, no cracks, popping, or noises from the car.

The only thing I noticed. After driving I put the vehicle into reverse, and it felt almost like the clutch was hanging just before catching, when I went back to first it did the same thing. Once I moved in first, and pushed the clutch in again I didn't notice it. Back to reverse and it felt like it hung up again. Is this a cause for concern?

I rode with the salesman in the car today, and the weather was not great for a Corvette test drive, overcast, misting, roads wet.

When I take my wife back tomorrow and can go for a little bit longer of a drive, is there anything special I should be looking out for or testing?

As long as I don't find a reason not to, I will probably park this thing in my garage tomorrow night.
I was surprised how hard it was it to find a clean 08 LT3 Z51. I got lucky and bought a black 2008 LT3 Z51 manual with 31,500 miles for $28k 3 weeks ago. There are plenty of higher mileage ones for $25k, but they aren't loaded with options.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:22 PM
8Blkc6
3rd Gear

Default 08 Vette

I've been looking (mainly dreaming) at Corvettes for as long as I can remember. Finally to the point that I've decided I can get one if I want.

Found an '08 3LT with 60K for $27,999. It has every option I was wanting except F55 & NPP.

1G1YY26W685100808

The car has 1 small chip which was touched up on the RT QT panel, 1 small scuff on the left rear bumper which can be buffed, 1 small scuff above the emblem on the front bumper that can be buffed, and a couple tiny marks on the RT head lamp. Interior has no signs of wear (will need to check under the rubber floor mats that are installed). Also, the RT corner of the bumper, between the lamp and the hood, is raised slightly. I looked at another Vette on the lot that had the same thing going on. Is this common?

It drove great, nothing sounded out of place, everything under the hood is clean, no signs of water, belt ran straight. Shifted smooth and everything seemed in place. Did a couple of tight slow figure 8's, no cracks, popping, or noises from the car.

The only thing I noticed. After driving I put the vehicle into reverse, and it felt almost like the clutch was hanging just before catching, when I went back to first it did the same thing. Once I moved in first, and pushed the clutch in again I didn't notice it. Back to reverse and it felt like it hung up again. Is this a cause for concern?

I rode with the salesman in the car today, and the weather was not great for a Corvette test drive, overcast, misting, roads wet.

When I take my wife back tomorrow and can go for a little bit longer of a drive, is there anything special I should be looking out for or testing?

As long as I don't find a reason not to, I will probably park this thing in my garage tomorrow night.
I was surprised how hard it was it to find a clean 08 LT3 Z51. I got lucky and bought a black 2008 LT3 Z51 manual with 31,500 miles for $28k 3 weeks ago. There are plenty of higher mileage ones for $25k, but they aren't loaded with options.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:02 AM
tjwor
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 8Blkc6
I'd say you got very lucky, that is a steal for an LS3 w/LT3 from what I've found over the last few months. I'm loving every bit of my new car, I'm sure you are too!
Old 11-28-2014, 03:13 AM
Blk 08 C6
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Congrats color looks familiar.

Get notified of new replies

To Test Drove an 08 Vette today, taking the wife with me tomorrow!

Old 11-28-2014, 08:04 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 278 Posts

Congrats!! Now you can drive it to Jefferson City on May 9th for the Capitol City Corvette Classic on the grounds of the Missouri State Capitol. And you can go do this!!
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2014, 12:26 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 407 Likes on 291 Posts

Congrats on the new ride! 2 year's older than you and enjoying mine very much as well! BTW, I have the SLP Loudmouth 2 Exhaust on mine. The mufflers are easy to interchange, if you want just pick up the SLP LM2's and throw them on there. Sounds great and drone is MUCH less than the LM1. Also, easy to control with the 6 speed.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:25 PM
8Blkc6
3rd Gear

I'd say you got very lucky, that is a steal for an LS3 w/LT3 from what I've found over the last few months. I'm loving every bit of my new car, I'm sure you are too!
Thanks!! My 9 year old son loves the Vette as much as I do He smiles during acceleration while hearing the exhaust purrs...priceless! I didn't even know it came with a B & B bi-modal exhaust system and a cold air intake until I got it home. $2500 worth of add-ons was definitely a bonus. .

Quick Reply: Test Drove an 08 Vette today, taking the wife with me tomorrow!