C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Generations/5 decades of selling Corvettes. pics/stories from Mike Furman@Criswell

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 08:28 AM
Mike Furman@Criswell
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 10,187 Likes on 1,603 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '15
Default 4 Generations/5 decades of selling Corvettes. pics/stories from Mike Furman@Criswell

I sold my first Corvette 5 decades ago (4 Generation Changes) and thought I would share some pictures and stories from over the years. Time flies that is for sure. The reason I am able to do this...my General Manager (Ken Allen) back in the day was like a Father to me and he passed away 1 yr ago and his long time Girlfriend sent me a ton of Malcolm Konner Auto Group photos. I had lost much of my collection in Hurricane Sandy a few yrs back so it was like finding Gold when I received these items. Ken Allen taught me everything I know about the car business from 1978-1989. I moved to Maryland and he retired to Vermont but we spoke several times per yr, I miss those phone calls...I ended each call thanking him for what he instilled in me. I know he got a huge kick out of my praise much like a Father for his son.

Ken Allen (1983)

Mike Furman 1983

Serving in the Service Lane, Gary Konner far right. 1983

Marty and his cart.

Mike Furman 1984

Mike Furman 1985...selling the first 1986 Olds Toronado(FWD).

My very first Corvette I owned, 1959 Corvette dual quads.

In 1985 one of my fellow salesman had challenged me to a Wrestling Match. He (Steve Powers) said I couldnt pin him in under 30 seconds. I said I could do it in 8 seconds or less...so we set a date at night after hours to all go up to my old high school gym. The match lasted 3 seconds. A ton of laughs! The back story is that I Wrestled on full scholarship for U of Maryland and Steve was incredulous that I could pin him that quick.

Gary Konner and I before the match.

Headlock throw had Steve sailing.

Konner Chevy was the top selling Corvette team from the late 60's thru 1991 when the Konner family sold the business. I enjoyed every moment working for them.

In 1986 GM and Chevrolet approved a Special Edition Corvette commemorating Malcolm Konner who had passed away suddenly a few years earlier. Only 50 were built and they came off the line all at the same time. As I remember it, many of the new owners (pre sold) and the Konner Family went down to Bowling Green, KY to drive them home...and the ones that didn't get driven home were put on transport trucks following the parade of Corvettes. To this day that special edition remains the only car ever to salute a Dealer. Malcom Konner was a great man!

I have this patch and an original front license plate from back in the day.

Every year the Konners would have a huge Corvette Show and Zora Duntov and his wife Elfie would attend along with the likes of Larry Shinoda. Any one from the NY, NJ area back then remembers these shows. The Duntov's would stay at the Konners home. I have/had plenty of autographs, the one below was on my 1988 Corvette that had belonged to Zora's personal Secretary of 25 yrs.

In 1986 a rising comedy star named Eddie Murphy was making a name for himself on Saturday Night Live. He walked in and bought 10 Corvettes for he and his "entourage"...and then the following week Joe Piscopo bought 5 Corvettes. Eddie Murphy was a "Fresh Air Kid" from Long Island, so he made some career for himself.

On a Saturday night in 1986 I took my girlfriend to Konner Chevrolet in my friends 1955 Olds for a Sock Hop in the dealership. Mr Ken Konners daughter had her Sweet 16 Birthday party there and I took everyone for rides (no seatbelts). I taught his daughter how to drive so she could get her drivers license, but not in this Olds!

In 1987 Reeves Callaway and the Konner Auto group began their partnership for selling Really Fast cars! The first year of Callaway Corvettes 188 were sold, 38 of them by Konner Chevrolet. Even the legendary Sledgehammer was sold thru Konner Chevy.

This Front plate is in my collection, it's from the 70's.

This oil reminder door jamb sticker is from a 1970 Corvette.

In 1986 I attended Corvette show at Hawthorne Chevrolet and took these pictures.

Outside the service lane late 80's.

Newspaper ad from 1989.

and Konner racing article 1989

Outside the dealership Fall 1990.

In 1993 my son Tyler and I in my 1961 Corvette.

Early 90's outside Criswell Chevy.

at Damascus Chevrolet.

Customer taking delivery of his new 2003 Z06.

In the Summer of 2004 Chevrolet sent me to VIR, one of my favorite Race Tracks to test the all new C6 vs the Porsche and BMW's.

Sept 2004...our first 2005 Corvette. Precision Red cpe 6spd manual. The customer that ordered it backed out at the last second so I bought it.

In my office at Damascus Chevrolet.

Then the next Summer GM sent me to Bob Bondurant to test the all new Z06 coming out for 2006. I met Bob on his Segway.

Met up with Dave Hill at Corvettes at Carlisle August 2005. Told him I had a Z06 on order so we talked at length about his company car, yellow Z06 behind us.

I liked it so much I ordered a new 2006 Z06 in Lemans Blue.
Here are pics of my car at the factory.

...and it arriving at Damascus with 1 mile on the odometer.

In 2011 I won the first of my two National Corvette Sales Contests that GM held. Grand prize was a week in Paris and a speed train down to the Lemans 24 hr Race. I stood on the Starting line minutes before the race started with 250,000 fans in attendance. I still get chills thinking about those experiences. Watched the race from the Chevrolet suite just above the Corvette pits.

The last truckload of C6's arrive March of 2013. Criswell had 220+ new C6's in stock that day. Sold out in 5 mos to make room for the C7.

I'm proud Adam chose me to represent his company for these Adam's Polishes Gift boxes now being sent out to any one that buys a new or used Corvette from me.

Testing the new Stingray at Spring Mountain Sept 2013.

I have tons of other pictures etc, the one I need to find is from 1979. I delivered a used 1969 Corvette to a guy and I visited him the next Sunday at his Gas Station. Go to my Corvette dedicated web site to see more info/pictures and videos. www.corvettefurman.com
Stay tuned!

Mike Furman Selling Corvettes for 37 yrs now!
301 212 4420
Criswell Chevrolet
Gaithersburg, MD
www.corvettefurman.com

Old 01-11-2015, 10:22 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

That is one helluva compendium of Corvette-ness! applause, applause!
Old 01-11-2015, 10:38 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Well done Mike. It's like a time capsule. A lot of history there.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:42 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  43.7 KB

From my garage wall to you.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Mike Furman@Criswell

St. Jude Donor '12, '15
Default www.corvettefurman.com

Originally Posted by AORoads
That is one helluva compendium of Corvette-ness! applause, applause!
Thanks Bill.

Mike Furman

Old 01-11-2015, 10:44 AM
Mike Furman@Criswell

St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol
Well done Mike. It's like a time capsule. A lot of history there.

Thanks for sharing.
My pleasure.

Mike Furman

Old 01-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Mike Furman@Criswell

St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol
Attachment 47854885

From my garage wall to you.
Thanks Rich...I recognize that poster. I only made like 10 of them!! Collectors item.

Mike Furman

Old 01-11-2015, 11:43 AM
fitzys60thgrandsport
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations Mike! Thanks for sharing this I have really enjoyed reading this and going through the pictures. That picture of you and your son is really cool. You have inspired me to take more pictures in life it is so cool creating a timeline like this.

John
Old 01-11-2015, 11:54 AM
Mike Furman@Criswell

St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Originally Posted by fitzys60thgrandsport
Congratulations Mike! Thanks for sharing this I have really enjoyed reading this and going through the pictures. That picture of you and your son is really cool. You have inspired me to take more pictures in life it is so cool creating a timeline like this.

John
Thanks John!!! I wish I had more pictures, I lost so many during Hurricane Sandy.

Mike Furman

Old 01-11-2015, 12:06 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Awesome thread! Do you still own all of the corvettes you have had over the years? If not, is there one that you miss the most? Congrats on having a job you truly love!
Old 01-11-2015, 12:17 PM
Mike Furman@Criswell

St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
Awesome thread! Do you still own all of the corvettes you have had over the years? If not, is there one that you miss the most? Congrats on having a job you truly love!
I have owned 44 Musclecars and 15 Corvettes in the past 37 years. The only Corvette I own currently is the 2015 Z06 Cpe that I took delivery on Dec 5th 2014. My favorite musclecar was a 1966 Olds 442 W-30. It was #4 of only 54 built!! My favorite Corvette is the 2015 Z06 you see down below.

Mike Furman

Old 01-11-2015, 05:25 PM
Mike Furman@Criswell

St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Originally Posted by fitzys60thgrandsport

John
Some more cool pictures...

Mike Furman

Old 01-11-2015, 07:41 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Congratulations on a great career Mike. You've done and outstanding job over the years. It's an honor to have you as a forum friend.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:43 PM
Mike Furman@Criswell

St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Congratulations on a great career Mike. You've done and outstanding job over the years. It's an honor to have you as a forum friend.
Thank you very much Les. I feel the same way and I am very glad I got to share these pictures with some memories from behind the scenes of Corvette sales over the last 5 decades.

Mike Furman

Old 01-12-2015, 02:13 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Great pictures Mike, I enjoyed scrolling through them. And that Z06 is a beauty. I live in North Carolina, and have your dealership bookmarked. You never know when the Wifey will say yes to a new C7.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:36 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Mike,

that was a great retrospective of a proud career, you my friend give auto sales a 'great' name. Aren't walks down memory lane fun !!

Cheers - Dave !
Old 01-12-2015, 03:58 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Criswell
[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I]I sold my first Corvette 5 decades ago (4 Generation Changes) and thought I would share some pictures and stories from over the years.

In 1987 Reeves Callaway and the Konner Auto group began their partnership for selling Really Fast cars! The first year of Callaway Corvettes 188 were sold, 38 of them by Konner Chevrolet. Even the legendary Sledgehammer was sold thru Konner Chevy.
Originally Posted by Mike@Criswell
I did the best I could considering I lost so much in Hurricane Sandy.

Thanks, Mike

Great collection of pics - especially the ones before you wore a baseball hat! Nice stories, and great ambassador of the brand
Old 01-12-2015, 05:45 PM
Mike Furman@Criswell

St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Great pictures Mike, I enjoyed scrolling through them. And that Z06 is a beauty. I live in North Carolina, and have your dealership bookmarked. You never know when the Wifey will say yes to a new C7.
Thank you. Call my desk direct line anytime, 301-212-4420...and I promise not to tell the wife.

Mike Furman

Old 01-12-2015, 05:47 PM
Mike Furman@Criswell

St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Originally Posted by Mikado463
Mike,

that was a great retrospective of a proud career, you my friend give auto sales a 'great' name. Aren't walks down memory lane fun !!

Cheers - Dave !
Thank you very much. I appreciate the kind words!...and Yes, walks down memory lane are fun.

Mike Furman

Get notified of new replies

To 4 Generations/5 decades of selling Corvettes. pics/stories from Mike Furman@Criswell

Quick Reply: 4 Generations/5 decades of selling Corvettes. pics/stories from Mike Furman@Criswell