C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery tender quick disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:48 PM
Corvettejack08
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery tender quick disconnect

Has anyone made there own battery tender quick disconnect? If so what conn. Did you use and where did you buy them was thinking about doing this with a conn. Similar to a trailer hitch lighting conn. Wondering if anyone has a better idea for a weatherproof conn.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:12 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettejack08
Has anyone made there own battery tender quick disconnect? If so what conn. Did you use and where did you buy them was thinking about doing this with a conn. Similar to a trailer hitch lighting conn. Wondering if anyone has a better idea for a weatherproof conn.
Surprised it didn't come with one? Most do...
Old 03-29-2015, 11:23 PM
CHEV AGAIN
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

There is one out there that's a magnetic connection that mounts in the grille. nearly invisible when detached. I believe one of the forum vendors sells them.

http://www.nakidparts.com/id127.html
Old 03-29-2015, 11:33 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

My 13 GS came with a Cetek maintainer and it has a quick disconnect. When I used my battery tender I used the alligator clips. Almost as quick.

This is the Battery Tender version of Ctek..

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-30-2015, 07:43 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Battery tender is becoming a generic term which Deltran should fight or they risk becoming like Zerox. That is why I have changed to Battery tender/maintainer to describe a digitally controlled battery float charger. What do you have?

Deltran Battery Tender and CTek Battery Charger both come with quick disconnects and clip and ring connectors. The most popular seems to be a cigarette lighter/aux connector because they are very easy to use and hard to forget.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:06 AM
Corvettejack08
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the CTek which came with the quick disconnect connected to the O- rings which I have permanently installed titis is a short lead then I pop the hood and run the lead up to connect was thinking of changing to avoid opening hood ect. I saw the magnetic conn. Seems it it always advertised in combination with the tender/maintainer
Old 03-30-2015, 03:33 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

you can purchase the quick connect option that plugs into your accessory plug in the car.there is a V notch in the rocker panel for the cable to exit the car
Old 03-30-2015, 04:34 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 709 Posts

Best thing I ever bought for my car. One end permanently attaches to the battery and runs down the engine compartment to the grill. Wire is easily concealed. The other end attaches to the tender. Both ends of the quick connect are magnets. Easy on. Easy off. Even if you forget to unhook it, it harmlessly pulls off when you drive away. Really surprised so many people have windows cracked, hoods partially open, wires running across the floor, etc. This is a permanent fixture that literally takes two seconds to attach. My tender is always plugged in on a shelf in front of my car and I slap the tender on every time I Pull into the garage. About $100 from Forum vendor Top Flight Reproductions.
The following users liked this post:
Archangel528 (04-21-2020)
Old 03-30-2015, 05:05 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
Best thing I ever bought for my car. One end permanently attaches to the battery and runs down the engine compartment to the grill. Wire is easily concealed. The other end attaches to the tender. Both ends of the quick connect are magnets. Easy on. Easy off. Even if you forget to unhook it, it harmlessly pulls off when you drive away. Really surprised so many people have windows cracked, hoods partially open, wires running across the floor, etc. This is a permanent fixture that literally takes two seconds to attach. My tender is always plugged in on a shelf in front of my car and I slap the tender on every time I Pull into the garage. About $100 from Forum vendor Top Flight Reproductions.
as this is exactly how my ctek charger is connected.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:55 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

I have the CTek ... was thinking of changing to avoid opening hood ect. I saw the magnetic conn. ...
Since the most convenient wall outlet was a little too far from the car for a simple aux plug, I went to Radio Shack and got a male cigarette lighter plug and wired my own connection. As mentioned above, there is a slot in the door that the wire can go through and it won't be pinched at all.

If you are into DIY, Harbor Freight almost gives away some very strong ceramic magnets (#98406). Add some stainless screws for contacts offset to always insure correct alignment/polarity... Or button magnets also designed to ensure proper alignment...

The one issue I see with the magnetic connection is dirt/corrosion of the connection. The difference in battery voltage from 80% to 90% charged is less than 100 millivolts. A bad contact would indicate low voltage and the charger might try to overcharge the battery. Not a major issue but something to consider.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery tender quick disconnect

Quick Reply: Battery tender quick disconnect