C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapest way to add Bluetooth Audio Stream?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 02:10 AM
Cauhauna
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Cheapest way to add Bluetooth Audio Stream?

Purchasing a 2008 z51 vert with factory Nav

Unfortunately, GM didn't include aux or bluetooth streaming back then.

I know Ray Kawal has a solution involving the purchase of a Personal Audio Link, upgrading to version 2, and then installing -- looks to cost about $400, all in

I also have seen some slick Pioneer and Kenwood units that replace the factory unit and add the functionality i'm looking for - that looks to cost at least $600

Are those pretty much my options? Or is there something I'm missing?
Old 05-05-2015, 04:15 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Cauhauna

I know Ray Kawal has a solution involving the purchase of a Personal Audio Link, upgrading to version 2, and then installing -- looks to cost about $400, all in

I also have seen some slick Pioneer and Kenwood units that replace the factory unit and add the functionality i'm looking for - that looks to cost at least $600

that's about it. My car came with PAL pre-installed from factory (from previous owner). I just slapped the Bluetooth module to it and voila. That was originally my idea that Kawal then integrated into his little thing.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:50 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
that's about it. My car came with PAL pre-installed from factory (from previous owner). I just slapped the Bluetooth module to it and voila. That was originally my idea that Kawal then integrated into his little thing.
Could you please explain this a little more? I have a PAL 2 from Ray for my IPod/phone connection, how would I integrate Bluetooth into this? Is it a separate module, do I have to purchase something else or can I wire (plug) my phone and using the existing car mic/speakers? Thanks!
Old 05-05-2015, 08:25 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

I went with Pioneer and skipped the nav since I have it on my phone. Saved me some money and then upgraded the other components while in there.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:27 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Here you go for less than $110,

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...FcKIaQodEZkAGw

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...005-13-c6.html

Also, if you don't use the cigarette lighter, nice place to install the extra USB port, the extra acc in port, and could ever set the reset button to the left hand side of the USB plug.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:31 AM
Cauhauna
Racer

Originally Posted by Dano523
Here you go for less than $110,

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...FcKIaQodEZkAGw

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...005-13-c6.html

Also, if you don't use the cigarette lighter, nice place to install the extra USB port, the extra acc in port, and could ever set the reset button to the left hand side of the USB plug.

This is pretty sweet! Does it get rid of the XM radio connection? Or share it?
Old 05-05-2015, 10:14 AM
mwvette556
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the isimple ISGM655.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3221583-bluetooth-kit-for-2005-13-c6.html?styleid=139

Costs around $115 from DoubleD mods. About three hours or so to install keeping in mind that the 08' models have a Phillips head for the shifter screw and it got stripped out really easily. I ended up having to drill the head off and remove the whole shifter later to use an easy out bit for the rest of the screw. I would advise trying to heat it up a little before you try to to remove it. Other than that the install was super easy and I have had no problems with it at all. I put the USB port in where the cigarette lighter is under the AC controls and ran the aux cord into the center console. Haven't really used either one since the Bluetooth works so well. Routed the mic up the pillar and clipped it in the corner above the onstar mic. It uses your XM channel and you can still use XM like normal.

Congrats on the new car!

Last edited by mwvette556; 05-05-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:40 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

There's an aux button in 08's.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:48 AM
mwvette556
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
Not with the Nav, which is what he has. I believe the Nav units didn't get aux and usb until 2011.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:12 AM
Cauhauna
Racer

Very, very, very helpful! Thank you.

And you are correct on no nav/aux until 2011 (what were they thinking?)
Old 05-05-2015, 11:13 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Originally Posted by mwvette556
I went with the isimple ISGM655.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ml?styleid=139

Costs around $115 from DoubleD mods. About three hours or so to install keeping in mind that the 08' models have a Phillips head for the shifter screw and it got stripped out really easily. I ended up having to drill the head off and remove the whole shifter later to use an easy out bit for the rest of the screw. I would advise trying to heat it up a little before you try to to remove it. Other than that the install was super easy and I have had no problems with it at all. I put the USB port in where the cigarette lighter is under the AC controls and ran the aux cord into the center console. Haven't really used either one since the Bluetooth works so well. Routed the mic up the pillar and clipped it in the corner above the onstar mic. It uses your XM channel and you can still use XM like normal.

Congrats on the new car!

^^^^^^^^ i also went with this device and i love it.

i posted my modification. which was to drill inside of the console area for both the usb port and aux jack that comes with it. i also placed the microphone in the same place as the oem microphone, just clipped it to the trim on the A pillar

here's the thread i made back last year after i hooked mine up. i like it inside the console.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-c6-cheap.html

the more i have become familiar with it the easier it is to use.. also i now have an android based smart phone which makes using the bluetooth easier. still works awesome. very happy with my purchase a year later and would do it again

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 05-05-2015 at 11:23 AM. Reason: found thread
Old 05-05-2015, 11:20 AM
mwvette556
Heel & Toe

Very, very, very helpful! Thank you.

And you are correct on no nav/aux until 2011 (what were they thinking?)
Never made sense to me. Isn't the Nav supposed to be an UPGRADE? So they "upgrade" your radio just to take away a key feature?
Old 05-05-2015, 11:27 AM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLo
Could you please explain this a little more? I have a PAL 2 from Ray for my IPod/phone connection, how would I integrate Bluetooth into this? Is it a separate module, do I have to purchase something else or can I wire (plug) my phone and using the existing car mic/speakers? Thanks!
I have a PAL installed in mine. It was fine when I had the iPhone 4S with the 30 pin but when I switched to the iPhone 6 I couldn't plug my phone in anymore. I bought this adapter, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aluratek...=1218987691917 to stream audio via bluetooth. I did have to give up radio control, but my phone is mounted right next to the nav so changing songs isn't reall that difficult.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:36 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

I installed an aux port. Works fine. I usually just burn mp3 music to a CD and listen to that. You can put a lot of mp3 music on a CD.

It is nice to have the aux input though. Only costed a few bucks to install. You can search the forum for details on the aux install options.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:47 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by RobLo
To summarize...

Go to Best Buy and get this...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aluratek...=1218987691917

Plug into the PAL

Pair your phone and done. You're phone will be paired to "General Motors" (car) and to that adapter named AIS03F. Audio will pump to the adapter and if a phone call comes in it'll seamlessly use the car.

Here it is in action when I first did it...

Old 05-05-2015, 04:35 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
I know the car has an aux button, does it have a port somewhere?
Old 05-05-2015, 10:03 PM
montivette
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Kawal has multiple options so 400 total is not lowest cost method.

Kawal sells premade $80 AUX-2 VRT which plugs into xm wiring harness in waterfall of your convertible and provides connector for plugging in audio device via cable. Then purchase kinivo BTC455 bluetooth adapter $50 Amazon to plug into input of Aux 2 VRT. So around 130 plus shipping and you have hands free calling and bluetooth music.

Note you must have xm selected as input when using to hear audio via speakers. To listen to xm instead of bluetooth unplug Kinivo audio cable from aux input of the aux 2 very wiring harness.

Addition details http://www.kawal.net/bluetooth.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC455-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-Input/dp/B00JK0G8KC

If you are going to spend hundreds of dollars and get new head unit check out thread below for ultimate versatility via Android head unit https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/audio-electronics/3501820-android-head-unit-and-backup-camera-installation.html

Last edited by montivette; 05-05-2015 at 10:23 PM. Reason: typo due to stupid phone auto correct

Get notified of new replies

To Cheapest way to add Bluetooth Audio Stream?

Old 05-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by montivette

Kawal sells premade $80 AUX-2 VRT which plugs into xm wiring harness in waterfall of your convertible and provides connector for plugging in audio device via cable. Then purchase kinivo BTC455 bluetooth adapter $50 Amazon to plug into input of Aux 2 VRT. So around 130 plus shipping and you have hands free calling and bluetooth music.

Note you must have xm selected as input when using to hear audio via speakers. To listen to xm instead of bluetooth unplug Kinivo audio cable from aux input of the aux 2 very wiring harness.

Addition details http://www.kawal.net/bluetooth.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC455-.../dp/B00JK0G8KC

The Isimple does the same for under $110, and you don't have to unplug the kinivo BTC455 every time you go to shut the car down.

Plus, with the BTC455 into the XM harness, your only sourcing in the analog sound off the phone to the radio, and have no controls of the phone through the radio controls instead (much less and digital data in from the phone like how is calling, and what sound is playing that will display on the radio).

Plus with the I simple, you gain a USB port for adding more devices hard wired in/charging your devices, and even a Aux port for grins as well for devices that don't have a USB way of digital connecting to the radio.

And let face it, the PAL was pretty much out dated shortly after it was released (has no blue tooth on it, nor updated itself to include blue tooth), and just a expensive device for the limited amount it does do to begin with. By the time you start adding harnesses, and such, your deeper into the hole for hundreds more (read instead of digging this rabbit hole, just update the head unit to an aftermarket deck instead (with tons of more features).

So the Isimple ISGM655 with blue tooth is the evolution of the the Pal/ISGM575, and does not have a jacked up price on a old outdated piece of electrons with GM name on it instead. The downfall, all require you to manually switch to the XM channel on the radio for these to work.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:43 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
To summarize...

Go to Best Buy and get this...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aluratek...=1218987691917

Plug into the PAL

Pair your phone and done. You're phone will be paired to "General Motors" (car) and to that adapter named AIS03F. Audio will pump to the adapter and if a phone call comes in it'll seamlessly use the car.

Here it is in action when I first did it...

Looks like a great option for adding Blue tooth to Pal,

Only question, I know Ray sold cords that charged, and some that did not, so does it matter which cord you have to work with the blue tooth module?
Old 05-06-2015, 12:33 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Looks like a great option for adding Blue tooth to Pal,

Only question, I know Ray sold cords that charged, and some that did not, so does it matter which cord you have to work with the blue tooth module?
The bluetooth module does not have a power source of it's own. It's powered by the 30 pin plug.

My cord does have charging capabilities so I can't say for certain that the non charging ones will work since theres no power.

Quick Reply: Cheapest way to add Bluetooth Audio Stream?