C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Owning a Corvette is more of a headache than pleasure?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:00 PM
Zero_6
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Owning a Corvette is more of a headache than pleasure?

I'm still a new owner, 5 weeks. So far it's been more of a headache. Got a daa'aam scuff mark on the rear bumper and drove over a bump that took a chunk underneath the passenger skirt. Not to mention 3 holes left by the license plate. To top it off the dreaded check engine light came on. The struggle is real. I'm hoping this is just a phase that I'm going through. Y'all feel the same at one point in time too? FML literally!!!

Will post pictures later since it night time.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:08 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Probably just you and/or the car.

Is this your first sports car? If so, you have lots to learn man lol.

I came from many import cars, modified, turbo, low, DD'ed. weekend cars and you tend to learn to be extra OCD about everything.

That said my grand sport is my FIRST corvette however not my first sports car. So i already know how to take steep driveways and dips carefully, i know how to stay away from potential drivers or people who might park like an ***. And just extra attention to the car itself.

I had the car already 9 months and it's been a blast. Very quick for what it is, gets looks and stares and thunbs up EVERYWHERE i go. It's just a very fun experience. Probably the best experience in all the cars i've owned.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:17 PM
Zero_6
Drifting

My Corvette is my very first sports car. Don't get wrong, I do love it. I'm still debating if I should fix the damages now or wait tilll later during the off season(winter) but definitely will fix the CEL.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:32 PM
donwil
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I found that the less I worried about the car the more I have enjoyed it. When I first got it I was over the top taking care of it. Now I still take care of it but it doesn't consume me like it once did.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:35 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Not for me. I'm driving my 7th one.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:48 PM
RIKKI Z-06
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by donwil
I found that the less I worried about the car the more I have enjoyed it. When I first got it I was over the top taking care of it. Now I still take care of it but it doesn't consume me like it once did.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:23 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

First two are on you (still sucks though). Other two are just going to take a little money and time to fix.

What's the cel you're getting anyway?
Old 07-30-2015, 11:48 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero_6
I'm still a new owner, 5 weeks. So far it's been more of a headache. Got a daa'aam scuff mark on the rear bumper and drove over a bump that took a chunk underneath the passenger skirt. Not to mention 3 holes left by the license plate. To top it off the dreaded check engine light came on. The struggle is real. I'm hoping this is just a phase that I'm going through. Y'all feel the same at one point in time too? FML literally!!!

Will post pictures later since it night time.
I bought my '07 in May of last year, had 22,900 miles on it. Now has about 26,800.

NO ISSUES. It's like being with a new girlfriend every time I get in it.

Except I had to reset the computer to fix some electrical gremlins (radio presets, etc. nothing major) by disconnecting the battery terminal this spring, after sitting for over 5 months.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:56 PM
Zero_6
Drifting

Originally Posted by SEVINN
First two are on you (still sucks though). Other two are just going to take a little money and time to fix.

What's the cel you're getting anyway?
I don't know the code yet. It came on recently after pumping gas. I hope it's the gas cap. I did unplug the battery and reconnected it. Will drive tomorrow and see if it comes back on. If it does, I'll get it read at auto zone.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:57 PM
Zero_6
Drifting

I will take the battery out when winter comes.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:59 PM
Zero_6
Drifting

Originally Posted by donwil
I hope to be the same after awhile.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:11 AM
El_Phantasmo
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 76 Posts

Not yet, although it has taken some adjustment to get into and out of certain parking lots without scraping that I wouldn't normally have to worry about.

My wife and I took it on a road trip a couple weekends ago and except for the exhaust drone, which was fixed with a 25 cent 10 amp fuse, it was pure joy.

Stick with it! Enjoy and good luck!
Old 07-31-2015, 12:27 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Sorry to hear about the damage and problems you've had...hang in there. I'm on my fifth Vette and still get pure enjoyment and a big smile on my face every time get behind the wheel
Old 07-31-2015, 12:33 AM
alanshore
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was hit during my 4'th week of ownership, 1200$ damage, grateful that he left a note, unfortunately he had to become threatening by visiting my workplace trying intimidation.

2 days ago someone hit my door putting a chip in it.

You just can't keep anything nice anymore. I don't nearly wash it as much as I did but you know what? I still enjoy it, I even enjoy it more when I DONT drive it everyday...
Old 07-31-2015, 01:02 AM
sunburstLS3
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Corvettes can make great daily drivers, but I think they are meant to be garage queens. As soon as you get one out into a public parking lot, it's like they are magnets for door dings, fender benders, etc.

So I guess in that regard, they are somewhat of a headache to own. I'm always constantly being careful with mine. Making sure I don't hit any dips in the road too hard that would hit the air dam. Making sure I park the f*** away from everyone so that nobody parks next to me. Making sure I don't get too close to a curb that would scuff/ruin a wheel rim or hitting the front of the car against a parking barrier.

Aside from that, my 2008 has been pristine. No check engine lights. No mechanical troubles. Nothing. Been a great car. I LOVE my vette. I LOVE my vette so much, I even put a de-humidifier in my garage so it doesn't have to suffer the summer humidity as much this year.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:02 AM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You need to be more careful when driving these things. Days that I'm going to work or running errands I take the Taurus. I use the Corvette for strictly pleasure driving. I go up to my parents house for the day on weekends which is about 45 miles away, if it's sunny I always take the corvette. Only on fun do nothing days is when I use my corvette. It's not my DD and the only parking lot it every see's is probably a nice restaurant, if I actually take it. I baby my car because it's special to me, I didn't think I'd be around long enough to have a C6 after my C5. I don't take it for granted.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:51 AM
FLGSLS3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
Not for me. I'm driving my 7th one.
Yep! On my 7th one too!

Get notified of new replies

To Owning a Corvette is more of a headache than pleasure?

Old 07-31-2015, 02:58 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Honestly sounds like you're just a clueless driver in his first sports or sporty car.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:57 AM
FLGSLS3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corvettes like any other car are meant to be driven. The garage queen can apply to just about anything really. I could never understand why you buy a car unless it is something rare not want to drive it every day? I drive my 2011 GS for work every day buy that I mean I do not just drive to an office and stay there all day as I am out and about all day for my work and have always wanted a car that I can sit in all day and enjoy it! I had a 2001 SS Camaro that was over 500hp and with suspension all tricked out and was not a comfortable ride for most people but I loved it and drove it for work everyday and did so for six years oh and it was a 6 speed with a twin plate clutch that damn near ruined my knee from shifting all day but I loved it. That car became a garage queen for a few years as I then bought an 05 GTO for a daily driver and now back into a corvette we go!
Old 07-31-2015, 07:56 AM
Coyote Dave
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Things I hit on the Hwy this week: Giant exercise ball. Was kind of funny when it hit the median and shot waaaay into the air.

Things I missed: Wooden end table, bag of speakers. I got out and moved these.

My commute can be distressing, but I've gotten over it. Every part on the car can be fixed or replaced when the time is right. I am a believer in clear bras though. Enjoy...

Quick Reply: Owning a Corvette is more of a headache than pleasure?