C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Idrum88
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this?

I just bought this 2006 last week. I got it up on a lift today to look around and I found this. The first picture is what I assume it is supposed to look like. The other side I can't figure out what they've done.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-03-2015, 07:26 PM
m kraz
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

someone used that stuff for a bushing that looks unsafe get it
looked at by a tech
Old 08-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Idrum88
Heel & Toe

What is this bushing called?
Old 08-03-2015, 07:37 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Not sure of the official name, but most call it the lowering bolt
Old 08-03-2015, 07:51 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
Not sure of the official name, but most call it the lowering bolt
Looks like someone broke the lowering bolt and secured it with a band and some type of filler. I'd have it checked out for sure.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:57 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

F.U.B.A.R

Take it in for repair, Asap.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

What would concern me most, is the strap that appears to have been fabricated to hold something together.
It just looks dangerous to me. I'd have it checked out immediately.
Good luck.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:05 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameister
What would concern me most, is the strap that appears to have been fabricated to hold something together.
Good luck.

My guess is you're in for a new leaf spring....
Old 08-03-2015, 08:12 PM
spuddeamore
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck.

It looks like a tie-wrap to me...
Old 08-03-2015, 08:15 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by R&L's C6

My guess is you're in for a new leaf spring....
Yet another reason why I never buy used cars, never.

I know I'm the one that has to eat the depreciation when it's time to sell, but new means peace of mind that's worth every penny.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:32 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by spuddeamore
It looks like a tie-wrap to me...
You mean zip tie cause that's what it looks like to me too. I'm thinking the bolt is completely missing on that side as well.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:46 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,033 Likes on 2,185 Posts

Stock ride height bolt on the left.

Someone lowered the car, and the problem with all the shorter aftermarket ride height bolts from any supplier, they do not last long before the rubber parts wear out instead.

Worst yet, GM does not sell just the OEM ride height bolts alone, and you have to buy the entire spring with ride height bolts instead.

So your only real option is to get After market ride height bolts to replace the damage ones on all the the spring ends. The reason for this, is they lowered one end, then they lowered the other end as well (read removed all 4 of the OEM ride height bolts).
Note, if you can score some used OEM ride height bolts still in good shape that someone else pulled off their car, it is the best option instead.

As for after the ride height bolts have been replaced, The correct stance of the car if you are not going to corner balance is such,

Base/narrow body model on level ground, from the center of the fender lips to the ground, the back fender lips should be 1-3/8" higher off the ground .

GS/Z06/ZR1 wide body car, the center of the rear fender lips should be 7/8" higher off the ground than the front fenders lips to the ground instead (difference in the fender lips shapes between the narrow and wide fenders).

As for replacing the ride height bolts, take one end up, remove the shocks from the lower A arm to allow the lower arm to sag down farther, then the ride height bolts can be replaced. As for once replaced and you need to adjust the ride height bolts to get the car to the right stance/corner balance, just jack the car end up with tires off the ground to take enough pressure off the bolts so they can be wrench spun.

Last edited by Dano523; 08-03-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Stock ride height bolt on the left.

Someone lowered the car, and the problem with all the shorter aftermarket ride height bolts from any supplier, they do not last long before the rubber parts wear out instead.

Worst yet, GM does not sell just the OEM ride height bolts alone, and you have to buy the entire spring with ride height bolts instead.

So your only real option is to get After market ride height bolts to replace the damage ones on all the the spring ends. The reason for this, is they lowered one end, then they lowered the other end as well (read removed all 4 of the OEM ride height bolts).
Note, if you can score some used OEM ride height bolts still in good shape that someone else pulled off their car, it is the best option instead.

As for after the ride height bolts have been replaced, The correct stance of the car if you are not going to corner balance is such,

Base/narrow body model on level ground, from the center of the fender lips to the ground, the back fender lips should be 1-3/8" higher off the ground .

GS/Z06/ZR1 wide body car, the center of the rear fender lips should be 7/8" higher off the ground than the front fenders lips to the ground instead (difference in the fender lips shapes between the narrow and wide fenders).

As for replacing the ride height bolts, take one end up, remove the shocks from the lower A arm to allow the lower arm to sag down farther, then the ride height bolts can be replaced. As for once replaced and you need to adjust the ride height bolts to get the car to the right stance/corner balance, just jack the car end up with tires off the ground to take enough pressure off the bolts so they can be wrench spun.
^^^^ Nice piece Dano, nice
NSF
Old 08-03-2015, 09:29 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,033 Likes on 2,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
^^^^ Nice piece Dano, nice
NSF
No worries, but the part that really blows is that GM does not just sell replacement OEM ride height bolts.

Instead in his case, unless if he can scored a used set of OEM's, he will be playing the replace the aftermarket ride height bolts dam near yearly instead.

As stated, it does not matter who you buy the after market ride height bolts from, then just do not last more than a year before the rubber part on them wears out instead.

So not only do you have to play the game of just replacing them to state with, but if you are corner balancing the car as well with scales, a few more days of the new ones settling in so you can adjust the car correctly again as well.

The problem with the aftermarket types, the bumper to A arm surface has lateral movement when the spring moves up and down against the lower A arm , and the reason that the OEM unit where so thick, this allows the bumper itself to flex sideways instead of just surface wearing out instead. So with the harder thin type ones, the bumper section wears quickly, and or just cracks in half instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 08-03-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:35 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Who in their right mind would cobble up something like that and feel worthy?
Old 08-03-2015, 09:52 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

The scary thing OP is now you know your car was owned by a azz hat. Who knows what other stupid things he did to that poor car.............

Last edited by Cor430vette; 08-03-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:57 PM
Idrum88
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the insight guys. So what's my best bet now? I know the car is lowered and I like the way it looks but I don't want to get these aftermarket bolts if they are going to give me trouble. Do you think the bolt is missing under all that filler? Do I need to just replace the whole leaf spring?

Get notified of new replies

To What is this?

Old 08-03-2015, 10:07 PM
donwil
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yet another reason why I never buy used cars, never.

I know I'm the one that has to eat the depreciation when it's time to sell, but new means peace of mind that's worth every penny.
Good for you that you have the financial ability to always buy new. Not everyone has that option such as myself. Sounded a lot like bragging but I know thats not your way. All the best.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:33 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by Idrum88
Thanks for the insight guys. So what's my best bet now? I know the car is lowered and I like the way it looks but I don't want to get these aftermarket bolts if they are going to give me trouble. Do you think the bolt is missing under all that filler? Do I need to just replace the whole leaf spring?
The threads may be messed up and that was the reason for this repair in the first place. I'd remove it and inspect it all unfortunately. Good luck!
Old 08-03-2015, 11:59 PM
Idrum88
Heel & Toe

Where is the best place to get another leaf spring if I have to go that route?

Quick Reply: What is this?