C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Service Column Lock" What is the best solution of 4 ideas and why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 12:02 PM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Default "Service Column Lock" What is the best solution of 4 ideas and why?

"It's OFFICIAL...
I have the "Service Column Lock" warning message and car will not start. Car infor: 2005 Manual C6 Corvette, 110K miles

Read many posts regarding this problem. ." What is the best solution of 4 ideas below and why is that idea the best ?"

a) Disassemble steering column, fix it myself. Replace SCL $342.
(I do not know how long this fix will last since it's a design issue)

b) Purchase bypass module "Corvette Column Lock Bypass" $89.95
( I do not know if this module even works, or how long it works)

c) Put car in shop
(This is like solution "A" except now labor cost is added)

d) Nothing, Just disconnect battery for 15min, reconnect, keep it moving.
(Not sure how long this will work before total failure of SCL)
Old 12-05-2015, 03:48 PM
Old Ben
Team Owner

Received 131 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 C6 of Year Finalist

Go with option b. I had the same problem with my 05M6 until I installed the column lock bypass.

PM sent.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:03 PM
Ajaste
-----
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Ben
Go with option b. I had the same problem with my 05M6 until I installed the column lock bypass.

PM sent.
had the same problem.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:24 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,065 Likes on 2,201 Posts

without going long winded, this the guy that invented the eliminator and from whom you should buy it. Hence in all the time he has been making them, only has had about 4 units that were defective that he needed to replace (same can not be said for the others that have copied his design to sell themselves).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111235442827?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

How to install it, and make sure that the column lock is in the unlocked position before you unplug the OEM lock connector to plug the eliminator in instead. Also, when you are pulling the gauge housing, put a small towel over the top of the steering column cover so you don't scratch the top cover with the gauge housing as your pulling it out.

As for the short version, the OEM steering module sends out voltage to the OEM steering colum lock on two wires to drive the lock motor and when the lock is in the correct postion, it send back a resistance on the other two wires to tell the module that the OEM lock in the correct position (locked of unlocked). When you shut the car off, the voltage on the power wires is revered to send the steering lock in the other direction to lock it, and when it's fully in that position, a different resistance is sent back on the other two wires to tell module it's in the correct position as well.

The problem with the OEM lock, it has plastic drive gears that bind after time, and the lock is not driven fully in the correct position in time to make the module happy (correct resistance signal not send back to the module). Since the steering column lock is not in the correct position, it will not allow the car to start.

So what the elimnator is is just a locking relay, with two sets of resistors in it instead. So the OEM steering lock is taking out of play in the unlocked position, and now the steering lock module is just sending the power to the eliminator to drive the locking relay one way or another, and it sends back the correct needed resistance, so the steering column module thinks that the OEM steering lock is still in play.

Last edited by Dano523; 12-06-2015 at 04:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ShadowVampyre (03-11-2023)
Old 12-06-2015, 11:20 AM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you my corvette brothers/sisters.
I am going with option B.

Placed order today.

Vette Strong!!!!!!

Old 12-06-2015, 01:59 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Good choice. Don't replace a badly designed part with another equally badly designed (expensive) part.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:05 AM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the same problem this year on my '05 out of the blue "Service Column Lock". You where close with the "D" reference. When was the last battery change? And yes that's all I did was change the Battery. You will get a Service Column Lock message if your Battery is weak but will still start the car. Some where in this forum explains that you need at least 11volts to the column lock to disengage anything less you will get the Service Column Lock message. I would consider changing the battery before ripping into the dash.

Last edited by myfunz; 07-12-2016 at 10:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
digital_pete (03-13-2024)
Old 12-12-2015, 11:52 AM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Installed myself.....Problem Fxed....
Old 12-12-2015, 01:35 PM
KenVette57
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Same issue, car no start. Took it to shop and after 7 hours of diagnoses still no idea. Thankfully no charge either. Then over to Chevy Dealer, I know... Anyway, they replaced the module and the car starts. Take it home, go to start in the morning and nothing after a hefty bill. Flatbed that puppy back to Chevy that day. Now they pull each fuse in the BCM, grease and reinstall. Car starts... Take it home and put it to bed. Next morning... GUESS WHAT. NO START!!!!! Flatbed back to Chevy. Now this is my 4th tow in a week for the same problem and the tow guys know me by name and they are all invited for Christmas dinner. Chevy calls me and says they think they have it, they found a module tucked back under the dash and this should be the issue. Good thing here, dealer will charge me nothing forward on this repair. That was Tuesday. Called Thursday and talked to the service advisor for update. Told the dash is totally apart and the tech is still trying to clear codes. I have a call in this morning and am waiting for a returned call. I told them that when they say the issue is repaired to keep it over the night and start it the next morning........ Mr. Toads Wild Ride....
Old 12-12-2015, 02:59 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Reggied
Installed myself.....Problem Fxed....
Installed the column lock bypass, or a new column lock?
Old 12-12-2015, 07:57 PM
DaveN355
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

I had this happen last year (or year before) and purchased the bypass. That worked for a couple of weeks, but still kept getting the errors (I changed the battery as well). Eventually, it wouldn't start at all and luckily still in extended warranty, so I had it towed to the dealer.

They replaced the column lock mechanism, which didn't fix it. Then they replaced the electronic control on the column lock mechanism (which the bypass plugs into) and that fixed the problem.

In my case, the column lock bypass didn't work since the module the bypass plugs into was the problem.

I still need to reinstall the bypass for extra measure.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:19 PM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cclive
Installed the column lock bypass, or a new column lock?
Column Lock bypass...2 hours job.
I also fixed my sticky dashbutton problems too.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:54 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Good to hear!!
Old 12-16-2015, 04:01 PM
mudville
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Column lock bypass

I installed the column lock bypass about 7 months ago and everything worked fine until a couple weeks ago. Now the car sometimes starts on the first try, but most times the 2nd or 3rd, cycling start button on and off. A couple times I have had to disconnect the battery. Brand new Optima. Sometimes the column lock message comes on while I am driving. I hit reset and it goes back to mileage. After reading hours of threads I am trying to avoid going to the dealer and having them tell me I have to go back to OEM parts at a cost of $1000. I have read that in some cases the bypass can make the column lock module go bad and was going to order one, but have seen some posts that say the module must be flashed to the computer and some that say it is plug and play. Can anyone shed light as to which is true. Thanks

Last edited by mudville; 12-16-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 03:25 PM
Quietcropduster
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I get this message on my 05 6MT but the vehicle still starts everytime. Is it possible it's NOT my column lock? Battery is under a year old too FYI.
Old 02-22-2022, 03:35 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by Quietcropduster
So I get this message on my 05 6MT but the vehicle still starts everytime. Is it possible it's NOT my column lock? Battery is under a year old too FYI.

Not best to dig up an old thread to ask a question in, but the solution to the problem is the TSB that replaces the locking ring in the steering column lock to begin with (so lock can not lock the wheel), then to reflash the BCM with the current firmware that takes both the lock and the SCLM out of play. Hence with what it sounds like, its the SCLM (black box) in the car that is having problems, and since GM no longer offers a replacement, its the reason that they came out with the TSB to remove the system from the car.

Note, if you can wrench on the car yourself, it's not a hard fix in the fashion of the TSB, and can mod the existing locking ring to not lock (the replacement non locking ring is less then $30), and can use a Tech II clone with $40 subscription via TDS to reflash the BCM yourself.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ogramming.html
Old 02-22-2022, 05:41 PM
Quietcropduster
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Not best to dig up an old thread to ask a question in, but the solution to the problem is the TSB that replaces the locking ring in the steering column lock to begin with (so lock can not lock the wheel), then to reflash the BCM with the current firmware that takes both the lock and the SCLM out of play. Hence with what it sounds like, its the SCLM (black box) in the car that is having problems, and since GM no longer offers a replacement, its the reason that they came out with the TSB to remove the system from the car.

Note, if you can wrench on the car yourself, it's not a hard fix in the fashion of the TSB, and can mod the existing locking ring to not lock (the replacement non locking ring is less then $30), and can use a Tech II clone with $40 subscription via TDS to reflash the BCM yourself.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ogramming.html
It's the most relevant one I could find lol. So if my car is already flashed with HP tuners that doesn't affect anything regarding the Tech II flash etc correct?

But thanks for the much needed info!
Old 02-23-2022, 02:10 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Correct, since HP tuner only changes the parameter in the ECM, not the BCM.

So need to use TDS to reflash the BCM (using tech II/MDI or clone of such as the interface, not the HP tuner module).

Here is a link to TDS for the 24 month subcription, after you have access to a tech II or clone for the needed interface to reflash the BCM in the car.

https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions
Old 02-23-2022, 09:21 PM
joevette perdomo
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggied
"It's OFFICIAL...
I have the "Service Column Lock" warning message and car will not start. Car infor: 2005 Manual C6 Corvette, 110K miles

Read many posts regarding this problem. ." What is the best solution of 4 ideas below and why is that idea the best ?"

a) Disassemble steering column, fix it myself. Replace SCL $342.
(I do not know how long this fix will last since it's a design issue)

b) Purchase bypass module "Corvette Column Lock Bypass" $89.95
( I do not know if this module even works, or how long it works)

c) Put car in shop
(This is like solution "A" except now labor cost is added)

d) Nothing, Just disconnect battery for 15min, reconnect, keep it moving.
(Not sure how long this will work before total failure of SCL)
option E take it to dealer have them do the steering column, and reflash on there tech 2 cost me $440.00 cars fires everytime like a champ permanent fix.

Get notified of new replies

To "Service Column Lock" What is the best solution of 4 ideas and why?

Quick Reply: "Service Column Lock" What is the best solution of 4 ideas and why?