C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission failure warning signs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 09:51 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Transmission failure warning signs?

I apologize for (possibly) using the wrong terms ...

This evening on the way home from work, a strange thing happened ... I was coming to a stop for a red light, foot gently applying the brake (my personal style, coast up to the stops) ... the car was nearly stopped, then it jumped ... and came to a stop.

Just a glitch? Random? It startled me. I had visions of sudden acceleration syndrome.

The only transmission failures I've encountered were in previous cars, and the car would completely lose the gear and fall into neutral. This is a lot of fun at 75 mph. (Not).

Thoughts?

I know the advice will be "Wait and see if it happens again."

ETA The C6 has less than 40,000 miles on it.

Last edited by the kid C6; 05-02-2016 at 09:52 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-02-2016, 09:55 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I've never heard of this kind of surging on any LS engine.

Wait and see if it happens again.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:59 PM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

What year is it?
Old 05-02-2016, 11:53 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Old 05-03-2016, 12:03 AM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,341 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by the kid C6

This evening on the way home from work, a strange thing happened ... I was coming to a stop for a red light, foot gently applying the brake (my personal style, coast up to the stops) ... the car was nearly stopped, then it jumped ... and came to a stop.

Just a glitch? Random? It startled me. I had visions of sudden acceleration syndrome.

The only transmission failures I've encountered were in previous cars, and the car would completely lose the gear and fall into neutral. This is a lot of fun at 75 mph. (Not).

Thoughts?

Could be a motor mount.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:15 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Thoughts?

Is it a stick or auto? It's not clear, "coasting up to a stop," is the clutch (if it has one) in?
Old 05-03-2016, 12:20 AM
45gunner
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

I am a long way away from being an expert. However, what you are describing sounds a lot like happened to my previous car, a 2008 Jaguar XK. When coming to a stop, it was like someone bumped me from the back. The Jag dealer said it was a small part in the transmission that needed to be replaced. They fixed it as the car was under warranty. The problem went away for a week or two and came back. I brought the car back to the dealer and it turned out there was a common fault in Jag XK transmissions. This time the factory paid the dealership to rebuild the transmission and the problem disappeared for good.

I hope this gives you insight to what may be the problem. You may get lucky and find that it some small part in the transmission that needs replacing.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:23 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

If it's an A6 trans, were you in Auto mode or using the paddles?
Old 05-03-2016, 08:25 AM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Your lurching/jumping problem has been reported before. Here are some threads;

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lete-stop.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-shifters.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...in-the-a6.html

Some report it as normal and others say not so much. Keep us posted on what you find.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:28 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Mines done it from time to time....esp when its not warmed up yet. Never seemed to be an issue and its never gotten any worse. I'm kinda just thinking its a little glitch in the A-6 programming. At least I hope anyway !!!
Old 05-03-2016, 10:46 AM
OPOS
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not sure about the C-6, but my C-3 driveshaft slip joint needed grease. It would stick than release with a jolt. Worth looking in to.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:05 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Thank you for all the replies!

I read the previous topics, and my problem wasn't that severe. It didn't feel like someone bumped my car, it wasn't that hard.

However, I will be paying a lot more attention, as I only have a few months remaining on the warranty.

To answer some questions, it's an automatic transmission, and I wasn't using the paddle shifters. When I say coasting up to the stop light, that's the way I drive. I see a red light, lift off the accelerator, and roll a bit before applying the brake (as opposed to the way some folks accelerate all the way until they use their brakes. I've often thought a brake shop would be a profitable business.)
Old 05-04-2016, 10:54 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Thank you for all the replies!

I read the previous topics, and my problem wasn't that severe. It didn't feel like someone bumped my car, it wasn't that hard.

However, I will be paying a lot more attention, as I only have a few months remaining on the warranty.

To answer some questions, it's an automatic transmission, and I wasn't using the paddle shifters. When I say coasting up to the stop light, that's the way I drive. I see a red light, lift off the accelerator, and roll a bit before applying the brake (as opposed to the way some folks accelerate all the way until they use their brakes. I've often thought a brake shop would be a profitable business.)
LOL....Love your explanation on how to pull up to a stop light. Everyone should try that method....
Old 05-04-2016, 11:57 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Funny, that's the way they drive when I go to visit family in California. They are either on the brake or accelerating...at least they are driving Priuses so they are saving the planet...

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission failure warning signs?

Quick Reply: Transmission failure warning signs?