C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wavy H pattern on passenger side of dash?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 10:14 PM
zras01
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am having problems with the leather in general loosing contact with the dash causing waves across the entire surface. I contacted Chevrolet about replacing the dash and I was advised that this dash is no longer in Chevrolets parts inventory nor is it available at any Chevrolet dealership.

So short of finding a custom auto leather shop to rework your existing leather dash and/or replacing it with some other type of material we are out of luck. Replacing with anything but the stock color matching leather dash is an absolute no. The saga continues.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:10 AM
Konadog06
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavesacre21
Since you're in the business of leather, can you say if there's anything that can be done to make it less obvious without a total overhaul? I guess I feel like it's a little ridiculous that the whole dash would have to be pulled to simply tighten some leather up.

I wouldn't try it without someone confirming, but I thought that heating the leather up (heat gun/hairdryer) would make it stretch more taut and could help to pull it out of the groove. However, as mentioned, it's not something I'd try without say so beforehand
Staves, sorry to see you having this problem. After all warranty options have been explored, try this product on a small section of your crease. It's not likely going to do much with a wave but it has worked miracles IMO on leather creases on seats and a rear luggage shelf. In the case of the shelf, someone had folded the shelf back in order to shortcut a repair where the shelf was meant to be removed entirely for access. Left an ugly and lasting crease. Read about this product, had doubts, used it once, results were dramatic. Used it twice, no one besides me would know it was ever there. Found the same amazing results on my 06Z drivers seat.
Your situation is different but it may be worth a shot as other options are exhausted.
Bill
FL
Amazon.com: Leatherique Leather Rejuvenator/ Prestine Clean Pair 8 Oz: Automotive Amazon.com: Leatherique Leather Rejuvenator/ Prestine Clean Pair 8 Oz: Automotive
Old 06-07-2016, 09:51 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion Kona. I'm extremely weary of adding any more cleaners or conditioners to the dash at this time, especially since I feel it was a similar product that caused this issue to begin with. In theory, it sounds like it would help, but I know that the interior of the car isn't just leather...it has a plastic type of coating on top of it. This is the primary reason why I feel that my initial leather cleaner caused issues to begin with.

My guess is that i'm gonna end up just living with it. I've had a few different shops tell me that removing the dash to recover it is the only way to have it done, and that will require removing (and likely replacing) the windshield in the process, moving the cost well over $2K.

In the next few weeks I'm gonna try to swing by a few upholstery shops as well as the dealership. If I don't have any others suggestions from the shops and GM refuses to cover the work via GMEPP (which it sounds like they can't even get the product anymore), then I'm just gonna have to learn to ignore it.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss my old plastic rubbermaid dash . Certainly didn't look near as nice...but nice is a relative term at this point.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:25 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Mine has had it since day 1. I just figure it's where the air bag is. No big deal. Can't miss it really.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:47 AM
KyJim
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavesacre21
Since you're in the business of leather, can you say if there's anything that can be done to make it less obvious without a total overhaul? I guess I feel like it's a little ridiculous that the whole dash would have to be pulled to simply tighten some leather up.

I wouldn't try it without someone confirming, but I thought that heating the leather up (heat gun/hairdryer) would make it stretch more taut and could help to pull it out of the groove. However, as mentioned, it's not something I'd try without say so beforehand

The leather in these cars is coated with plastic (urethane) and the only thing that should be applied to them is a very mild soap and water solution to clean or just a damp towel. I use Woolite diluted 6:1 with distilled water once a year. Each week I wipe all down with a damp microfiber towel followed by a damp towel sprayed with Meguiar's x-press. Using any leather conditioner is a waste as it will not penetrate the leather. Leather cleaners are to harsh and can damage the coating and should not be used.

I have seen these lines in many corvettes and they are for the passenger airbag. Mine has them but they are straight and are not very noticeable, but I don't use any harsh cleaners on my interior finishes.

Quick Reply: Wavy H pattern on passenger side of dash?