C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much modifying?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 07:52 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Default Too much modifying?

I read a lot of posts about owners modifying their cars.... cams, exhaust systems, after market air cleaners, installing superchargers etc. When does modifying become too much to the point where you take the risk of adversely affecting reliability and dependability compared to a stock C6?
Old 01-17-2017, 07:58 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Risk starts at the first mod.
The following 3 users liked this post by dryadsdad:
berk4422 (01-17-2017), corvette312 (01-17-2017), RCKTRYD (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 08:10 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Depends on the mod. Changed interior lighting to LEDs or adding badges isn't going to effect the reliability. Better tires or better brake pads are a great modification with little or no risk. Its way too board of a question. Most stuff, if installed correctly and with the correct combination of parts will have no issue.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:16 AM
Coyote Dave
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

So many variables....

Every stock C6 is not equally reliable to start with as a baseline.

Who installs the parts, how competent are they. What brand of parts used. Etc Etc

That said, obviously engine & driveline modding is generally not for the risk adverse.

I've had virtually no problems with basic modding like shifters, CAI, Tune, Catbacks...the usual simple bolt on stuff.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:21 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

I think we need a specific definition of "modifying." The term was invented just 20 or so years ago, so fill me in.

I don't think floormats, shifters, mufflers, cold air, etc. are "mods," as I understand the term.

To me, and I may be wrong, "modding" means actual engine work that increases HP.

In an earlier life it was either "stock" or "not stock," which was understood to mean it had more HP than stock; floormats, air cleaners, etc. did not count.

I think "mod" has replaced "not stock."
Old 01-17-2017, 09:37 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Modification is any change to the car that changes it from how it came from the factory.

Wheels, lambo doors, halo headlights, etc etc are all modifications that do no add HP. You could add huge brakes, coilovers, aero, cooling and not touch HP and have a very heavily modded car.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:26 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

The reliability is only as good as the parts and the quality of the install.
I have had my C6 for almost 11 years and I have very little issues.
Broken shifter cable, bad aftermarket coil, shift lock issue. The coil is the only mod I had an issue with. All my other issues would have happened even if I did nothing to my car, and that I fixed myself.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:31 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

These are great platforms for modifying.

The fact that I have 35% power above stock, and the OEM clutch and fuel pump is just fine (even on E-85!) bares this fact out.

A nice exhaust system, a nice intake, small cam, and a nice tune is 99% as safe as stock imo as long as all was correctly installed.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:36 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

There's a LARGE group on CF that are anti-mod. Mostly older gentlemen who'd prefer if their (and your) vettes were left well enough alone, the way "the GOOD GENERAL INTENDED". Haha!! They'd also prefer if you'd stay off of their lawns and that people need to date/marry inside their races. They don't like what's happening to their country and they're NOT gonna give their credit card number over no silly internet!

modified corvettes?! WHY I NEVER!!

why doesn't she have hair down there??

this is poison
Old 01-17-2017, 10:56 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Yep. One of the big reasons I don't deal with corvette clubs, groups, etc because those types are rampant. Instead of just having the attitude of "to each their own" they have to try to tell you how stupid you are for modifying gods gift to cars and any changes from what GM did is blasphemy.

I just drive around enjoying my 1200+hp vette with a big smile on my face.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:00 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Yep. One of the big reasons I don't deal with corvette clubs, groups, etc because those types are rampant. Instead of just having the attitude of "to each their own" they have to try to tell you how stupid you are for modifying gods gift to cars and any changes from what GM did is blasphemy.

I just drive around enjoying my 1200+hp vette with a big smile on my face.
You've been in the wrong Corvette clubs then. Mine welcomes everyone, regardless of what they have or have not done to their cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by Corvette_Ed:
berk4422 (01-17-2017), RCKTRYD (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 01:37 PM
COvert-red
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Man, you guys are painting with a VERY broad brush!

How about this version of old-fart-ism:

I absolutely love performance machinery! "1200 hp Vette?!" May I borrow that for a while, please? What I'm not at all interested in, but many (lots) on this forum rave about, are the "Barbie Doll" dress-up caliper covers, stick-ons, faux carbon, the blight of brake pad dust (!), rain, add on vents and aero (that would start to actually affect their cars at 120 mph+, except the stuff they are sticking on would fly off at 93 mph), little plastic "stickies" to cover the stock plastic engine stickies, and.......

Lots of ways to enjoy the cars, and absolutely: Each to their own.

Last edited by COvert-red; 01-17-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:50 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by COvert-red

I absolutely love performance machinery! "1200 hp Vette?!" May I borrow that for a while, please? What I'm not at all interested in, but many (lots) on this forum rave about, are the "Barbie Doll" dress-up caliper covers, stick-ons, faux carbon, the blight of brake pad dust (!), rain, add on vents and aero (that would start to actually affect their cars at 120 mph+, except the stuff they are sticking on would fly off at 93 mph), little plastic "stickies" to cover the stock plastic engine stickies, and.......

Exactly. I enjoy stock ones, I enjoy modded ones. I'm fine with whatever you want to do as long as it is done correctly and tastefully. Its sad that bile and hate so many have against modding a car, instead of just marking it up as different taste.

I've said it too many times, the worst part of owning a corvette is dealing with the other owners.
The following users liked this post:
damascus1986 (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 02:52 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

My racing stripes and ZR1 Extended rear spoiler have been tested up to 155 TYVM.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:23 PM
COvert-red
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
My racing stripes and ZR1 Extended rear spoiler have been tested up to 155 TYVM.
Yes but Ed, you get the ZR1 waiver, even if it's just the spoiler. That beast moves 👹

There's a gorgeous 2011 Supersonic Blue ZR for sale nearby that tempts... I'm afraid to even sit in it.

One thing about the "mod" products/industry: Aside from stuff that goes under the hood or under the car, the rest of it is all about "fun," and what's wrong with that? More fun, please.

Last edited by COvert-red; 01-17-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:00 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I laughed my *** off at this post. The blight of brake dust lol! I always read those posts and I have to contain myself when they don't want brakes that stop, just brakes that don't dust their chrome rims. Hilarious.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:22 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Depends on the mod. Changed interior lighting to LEDs or adding badges isn't going to effect the reliability. Better tires or better brake pads are a great modification with little or no risk. Its way too board of a question. Most stuff, if installed correctly and with the correct combination of parts will have no issue.
With the examples I listed, I was referencing the engine, exhaust, driveline components etc. Obviously, adding aftermarket floor mats, padded armrests won't affect reliability.

Get notified of new replies

To Too much modifying?

Old 01-17-2017, 04:44 PM
damascus1986
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Exactly. I enjoy stock ones, I enjoy modded ones. I'm fine with whatever you want to do as long as it is done correctly and tastefully. Its sad that bile and hate so many have against modding a car, instead of just marking it up as different taste.

I've said it too many times, the worst part of owning a corvette is dealing with the other owners.
HAHA here in Houston we have a great group modded and unmodified just everyone's been more then respectful to me. Actually my last car was a 2013 Hyundai genesis coupe. For my 30th birthday i bought the vette, I have to say the community is way better!
Old 01-17-2017, 05:23 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,253 Likes on 916 Posts

You can never have too much horsepower or make too much noise!
The following users liked this post:
Fast Cars & Horses (01-19-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 05:57 PM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

If only we could modify some of the drivers.

Quick Reply: Too much modifying?