C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob #1 programed as key fob #3

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 04:30 PM
rivernewman
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key fob #1 programed as key fob #3

Years ago I lost both of the original key fobs #1 and 2. I paid to have a locksmith programmer to come out to my house and reprogram my car. I only had a new key fob #2. So he programmed the #2. That is all this car has had. I just ordered a key ffob #1. The #2 I have works. Will I be able to progam The new #1 fob.

Last edited by rivernewman; 03-02-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:46 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Your post isn't clear as to if you had a working fob, or not.

If he did the long program (when no known fobs are present, which wipes existing fobs), then your fob marked #2 is now fob #1. If he did the short program (which adds a fob) then your #2 is actually #3, and you can still add a fob (#4).

The markings on the fob don't mean anything; fobs are numbered according to the order they are programmed. You can program up to four fobs.

Last edited by owc6; 02-24-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:57 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

You should still be able to program the new fob. But my suggestion is that you reprogram both fobs, the one you already had, and the new one.

Use the long programming option and program them as #1 and #2. That will make sure you have access to the memory options for the car.

It also causes both of the fobs that you lost to not be able to be used by someone else to start your car.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:28 PM
jpick73
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
You should still be able to program the new fob. But my suggestion is that you reprogram both fobs, the one you already had, and the new one.

Use the long programming option and program them as #1 and #2. That will make sure you have access to the memory options for the car.

It also causes both of the fobs that you lost to not be able to be used by someone else to start your car.

Best method. Just use forum search for "reprogram key fob". You will find at least 3 - 5 threads with directions.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:40 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Curious what a locksmith charged to do that.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:08 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Vette_DD

^This^.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:04 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Old 02-26-2017, 12:41 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

What is a locksmith programmer? and also curious what they charged for something you can do yourself? Do you have an owners manual?
Old 03-02-2017, 07:22 PM
rivernewman
Heel & Toe

Default Long Program-no existing fob were present.

Originally Posted by owc6
Your post isn't clear as to if you had a working fob, or not.

If he did the long program (when no known fobs are present, which wipes existing fobs), then your fob marked #2 is now fob #1. If he did the short program (which adds a fob) then your #2 is actually #3, and you can still add a fob (#4).

The markings on the fob don't mean anything; fobs are numbered according to the order they are programmed. You can program up to four fobs.

Thanks for the info. I just received the new fob today via mail. It is a number one. I can't get the DIC to come one when I turn the key 5 times. I will read on. You answered my Question. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:39 PM
rivernewman
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
What is a locksmith programmer? and also curious what they charged for something you can do yourself? Do you have an owners manual?
I had all of the keys and fobs stolen at the same time. I had to search hard. It came down to only one guy that had the programmer and was authorized to do that and could make me the key I had to prove to it was vehicle show my license all that. It was a Red tape deal.. I think it was about 300$ not including the fob I bought at the dealership. This was years ago when a tech 2 was more expensive.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:58 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by rivernewman
I had all of the keys and fobs stolen at the same time. I had to search hard. It came down to only one guy that had the programmer and was authorized to do that and could make me the key I had to prove to it was vehicle show my license all that. It was a Red tape deal.. I think it was about 300$ not including the fob I bought at the dealership. This was years ago when a tech 2 was more expensive.
This thread has pages and pages of tips and tricks from C6 owners. Your problem of getting a reaction from the DIC when turning the key is by far the most common issue. No TechII is needed to program fobs.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tructions.html
Old 03-03-2017, 03:36 PM
rivernewman
Heel & Toe

Default Key Fob put in Reverse

Originally Posted by cclive
This thread has pages and pages of tips and tricks from C6 owners. Your problem of getting a reaction from the DIC when turning the key is by far the most common issue. No TechII is needed to program fobs.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tructions.html

I Didn't have it in reverse. The DIC came up in program #3. I put FOB #2 in and programed it for #3. I wish there was a way to go back to #1 so I could have #1 and #2 fobs instead of #2 and #3 fob. I don't believe #1 was ever programed to my knowledge . It has always just been #2. How can I find out if there is a #! floating out there. Thanks for your response. I also read that if hold 2 buttons on fob it will reset the tire monitor, Is this true? What other resets can you do with the fob.?
Old 03-03-2017, 03:42 PM
EVRose
Race Director

I Didn't have it in reverse. The DIC came up in program #3. I put FOB #2 in and programed it for #3. I wish there was a way to go back to #1 so I could have #1 and #2 fobs instead of #2 and #3 fob. I don't believe #1 was ever programed to my knowledge . It has always just been #2. How can I find out if there is a #! floating out there. Thanks for your response. I also read that if hold 2 buttons on fob it will reset the tire monitor, Is this true? What other resets can you do with the fob.?
Not true. Doing that puts the TPMS system in learn mode.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:12 PM
rivernewman
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by EVRose
Not true. Doing that puts the TPMS system in learn mode.
Glad I asked. Thanks. In heavy rain conditions DIC says Service tire monitor and the xxx's come up. After a while it goes away.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:37 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I'm going to assume you didn't read post #3 from Vette_DD
Old 03-03-2017, 04:50 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

steps from the owner's manual for the long procedure to program Fob 1 and 2 and erase any older fobs from memory.

Long Fob Program.pdf
Old 03-03-2017, 05:41 PM
rivernewman
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
steps from the owner's manual for the long procedure to program Fob 1 and 2 and erase any older fobs from memory.

Attachment 48069014
I did read that. I have my owners manual too. Its just erasing something that is working, well if it is not broke don't fix it. I might get the ***** to do it.

Get notified of new replies

To Key fob #1 programed as key fob #3

Old 03-03-2017, 06:04 PM
EVRose
Race Director

If the dic said insert fob 3 that means there are already 2 programmed into the car. So yes, there is a #1 floating around somewhere.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:54 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

I did read that. I have my owners manual too. Its just erasing something that is working, well if it is not broke don't fix it. I might get the ***** to do it.
I was just granting your wish: " I wish there was a way to go back to #1 so I could have #1 and #2 fobs instead of #2 and #3 fob.
"

It kind of is broke. Doesn't work the way it should, nor the way you want it to. It's a matter of following the steps and your wish will come true.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:51 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The thing you need to understand is that the car doesn't care what number is printed on the fob...they are all the same electrically. So when it says READY FOR FOB 3, it means that whatever fob you put in next will be remembered by the car as #3...even if it has the #2 printed on it. Hope this makes sense. And yes, there is a fob out there somewhere that can open and start your car. Because the car asked for #3, it means that in total, the car knows of three fobs that it will recognize...if you only have two then one is somewhere out there with your car's programming. The car cannot ask for #3 unless #1 and #2 have already been done. The long procedure is what is needed to make things right. The two that you have will become #1 and #2. The first one that you put in the slot during the long procedure will become #1, no matter what number is printed on it.

Last edited by cclive; 03-03-2017 at 10:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Key fob #1 programed as key fob #3