C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something took a bite out of my car

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:54 AM
Durien512
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Wow bummer glad nothing really bad happened .. get her fixed and stay safe
Old 02-27-2017, 12:09 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

A few rolls of duct tape and you'll be back in business.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:48 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

I was on 95 northbound on Saturday, drove back from Florida, 17 hours, 1150 miles. Because of a major snowfall the day before I left I took the GMC instead of the Vette, my plan had been to take the Vette for the 2 weeks in the Sunshine State. Around Washington/Baltimore I got hit with a good size hail storm, lightning, thunder, had to pull over and wait it out. Between that, the crazies driving through Maryland and the even more crazies driving through Brooklyn I was thanking God I didn't take the Vette...
Old 02-28-2017, 07:52 AM
nick14003
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

luckily it was only the bumper, thats super lucky tbh...

could have been fender/hood/bumper/headlight quadruple combo whammy.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:22 AM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

You are very lucky (all things considered). Good save. Driving a Vette takes a lot more concentration than a bigger vehicle. I seem to be much more on guard when driving my GS than my Silverado. We were in the GS once and almost missed a big rig tire carcass on the interstate following an SUV which simply drove over top of it. We were following at 70+ and it suddenly appeared. I had room to swerve but it still slapped the passenger side and left a nice black streak but no damage. Now the ladder I saw fall off a trailer and go skimming down I95 once was probably more like what the OP ran up against.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:00 AM
mlicker
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks like it will buff out....
Old 10-23-2017, 05:25 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default road debris

Originally Posted by RagTop69
I remember that some years back a lady driving to work in moderate traffic on I-80 around Berkeley, CA got hit in the head by the starter motor that fell out of the old beater truck ahead of her. DOA. I have also noticed an increasing "bounty" of thrown truck recap treads on the CA freeways. Those can do a real number on a fiberglass car too.

that happened along the same route that I took work, and remember that story too well. pregnant nurse, just getting off of a night shift.
with it being dark out, I would be surprised if she any time to react.

don't care how good a driver that you think you are, you can't account for everything. still frustrating to hear about these things though.

stay alert out there!
Old 10-23-2017, 05:43 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

bumper cover + paint?

What? $1200-$1500?
Old 10-23-2017, 06:38 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by cgladish
that happened along the same route that I took work, and remember that story too well. pregnant nurse, just getting off of a night shift.
with it being dark out, I would be surprised if she any time to react.

don't care how good a driver that you think you are, you can't account for everything. still frustrating to hear about these things though.

stay alert out there!
I agree and I remember reading that story. I've had all kinds of things get "thrown" at any car I've driven---but no question: night is the worst for these things to happen.

Daytime I've had an entire wheel/tire come off and at me, hubcaps, and once, a flying piece of signage metal from the top of a new-looking recycle truck. Tried to dodge it as much as possible but not "slice" directly into the windshield (and then ME). It missed everything and as i slowed, I knew it would hit low. I did a perfect, short-hop catch even tho I'm no good at baseball---the bumper took a pointed edge hit. Not being negative toward CA but whenever I see loaded pickups with ladders or trash I give a very long distance, to the back, side or zoom away from them. Ladders, signs, tools, everything has come off those trucks in SoCal at my cars.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:44 PM
DPC57
Pro

Received 323 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by LowRyter
bumper cover + paint?

What? $1200-$1500?
Damage to the tire and wheel, as well. I think the total was about $2300.

And then a month later I noticed condensation in the headlight; there was a hole in the underside. Insurance covered that as part of the original incident. An additional $1300 for the headlight assembly.

Last edited by DPC57; 10-23-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:46 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default road debris

Originally Posted by AORoads
I agree and I remember reading that story. I've had all kinds of things get "thrown" at any car I've driven---but no question: night is the worst for these things to happen.

Daytime I've had an entire wheel/tire come off and at me, hubcaps, and once, a flying piece of signage metal from the top of a new-looking recycle truck. Tried to dodge it as much as possible but not "slice" directly into the windshield (and then ME). It missed everything and as i slowed, I knew it would hit low. I did a perfect, short-hop catch even tho I'm no good at baseball---the bumper took a pointed edge hit. Not being negative toward CA but whenever I see loaded pickups with ladders or trash I give a very long distance, to the back, side or zoom away from them. Ladders, signs, tools, everything has come off those trucks in SoCal at my cars.

I remember my telling about the time a brick came off the back a truck he was following and it bounced over his car. it hit on the windshield molding, directly over his head. left just scratch!

gotta keep on your toes!
Old 10-23-2017, 11:30 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by DPC57
Damage to the tire and wheel, as well. I think the total was about $2300.

And then a month later I noticed condensation in the headlight; there was a hole in the underside. Insurance covered that as part of the original incident. An additional $1300 for the headlight assembly.
glad you got it covered. Sounds about right to get the wheel repaired + tire. Headlight sounds high but at least it's fixed and insured!
Old 10-24-2017, 07:20 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads

I was on my way back to Dallas from a trip to Houston when a truck just ahead in the lane next to me ran over a 6' long piece of a recap tire tread and threw it up into the air directly in front of me. It was vertical when I hit the bottom of the tread at 75 mph, causing it to slap down on my car, stretching from the front bumper to somewhere on my roof. The windshield was shattered, and I ended up going backward down the freeway at high speed after being spun around by the force of the impact. LEO said I was lucky the tread was long enough to hit the top of the roof instead of entering the cabin through the windshield, because it probably would have killed either me or my wife.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:34 AM
Ben101er
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DPC57
Looks like there is a crack in the sidewall of that tire. Which is all of 10 days old.

Now does that fall under the road hazard warranty on the tire or does it just go with the insurance claim?
Had something happen to me, just about like this. Fortunately, I was in our Traverse, instead of the Vette, but, my insurance covered it under my comprehensive policy, instead of my collision. Tires and wheels are included. Deductible was less, and didn't raise my rate, as long as it was airborne. If it had been lying in the road, and then hit it, it is a collision claim.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:13 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That was some pretty crummy luck!
Old 10-24-2017, 06:32 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Looks like you might have run over one of those treads off a semi and it wrapped around your tire and broke the fender as it came back down.
Ive heard that refered to as "road gators"

Clif

Quick Reply: Something took a bite out of my car