C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My BMW Z4 versus C6 Corvette comparison report. (Long).

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 10:38 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

Default My BMW Z4 versus C6 Corvette comparison report. (Long).

COMPARISON REPORT:
2003 BMW Z4 versus 2005 C6 CORVETTE

First, let me say that I have owned three BMW vehicles, a 1999 528i, a 1997 Z3 2.8L, and the 2003 Z4 3.0L. I have the utmost respect for BMW products, their quality, and the company’s high level of customer service. I’ve owned several roadsters over the years, including a 1969 Datsun 2000, a 1990 Mazda Miata, as well as the Z3 and Z4. I’ve only owned one Corvette, a 1977 350ci automatic. That Corvette was a total disappointment in that it was slow, handled poorly, and was poorly built.

My Z4 was set up with the 3.0 liter in-line six, a six speed manual transmission, the sport suspension package, Xenon lights, and the power roof. My C6 is a six speed manual, has the 1SB package, which includes a HUD (heads up display), heated seats with power lumbar and wing adjustments, 6 CD changer, telescoping steering wheel, etc. I also opted for the Z51 suspension package. For pricing comparisons, I used a pretty well loaded Z4, since this compares most closely to the way my C6 is set up. I did not try to compare the Z4 roadster to a C6 convertible for several reasons. The C6 coupe is actually a “Targa’ design with a removable roof panel, approximating the feel of an open top roadster. Also, GM chose to price the convertible at a significant premium over the coupe, making price comparisons difficult.

A base level C6 retails for $43,445 plus $800 destination charge. My car, as ordered, priced out at $50,100. A 2005 Z4 starts at $41,300 plus a $695 destination charge. When similarly equipped, the Z4 retails for $47,245. Discounts are easier to get for the Z4 than, currently, for the C6 which may affect actual cost. The BMW has a four year warranty, the C6 three.

The C6 is the bigger of the two cars but, surprisingly, not much heavier. A Z4 has a length of 161.1 inches versus 174.6 for the C6. Widths are 70.1 and 72.6 respectively. A Z4 weighs 2998 pounds, while a C6 weighs 3179 pounds. On the inside, the C6 has ½ inch more headroom, almost 3 inches more shoulder room, and an inch more leg room. Fuel tank capacity is 14.5 gallons for the Z4, and 18 gallons for the C6.

The turning circle for the Z4 is a tight 33.1 feet and a rather large 39 feet for the Vette. This is due to the fact that the C6 has a much longer wheelbase at 105.7 inches against the Z4’s trim 98.2 inches. Both cars are rear wheel drive. Engines on the two cars are dramatically different. The Z4 features BMW’s respected 3 liter in-line six, which puts out 225 hp at 5900 rpm. The C6 uses the LS2 6 liter V8 which produces a staggering 400 hp at 6000 rpm. Torque for the LS2 engine is 400 ft-lbs at 4400 rpm. The BMW six makes 214 ft-lbs at 3500 rpm. Fuel mileage ratings for the Z4 are 29 mpg on the highway, while the bigger C6 follows closely at 28 mpg. The Z4 is quick, running 0-60 times in the low to mid fives, while the C6 can produce low four second times.

Both cars feature body designs that have provoked lots of controversy. The flowing lines and sharp angles of the Chris Bangle designed Z4 does turn heads. The reactions, however, tend to be very polarized…you either love it, or you hate it. The C6 has a new, short and abrupt profile with no pop up headlights. This has infuriated many Corvette loyalists and elicited a Z4 like reaction…you either love it or you hate it.

So, what we have here are two very different approaches to designing a sports car. BMW offers a radically styled two seat roadster powered by their wonderful, free revving, in-line six. Corvette has dramatically restyled their car, upgraded the venerable LS1 engine, and offers the latest version of the classic American sports car. Which car is better? Is the Z4 an anemic little toad? Is the C6 a big, sloppy, American behemoth with no finesse? Let’s find out.

When it comes right down to it, these cars don’t really have that much in common. Although GM used Z4s and Porsche 911s when they were doing their own comparisons and development, the driving experience is worlds apart. Much of this disparity comes from the fact that I’m comparing a coupe, with a removable roof panel, to an actual open top roadster. While driving with the panel off does provide a roadster feel, it’s still structurally a coupe.

Handling is well above average for both cars. My Z4 would go around tight turns completely flat, exhibiting no body lean at all. The C6 does the same thing, but feels easier to control. This may be a result of the steering or of a more finely tuned stability control system. The HUD on the C6 lets you monitor the lateral G force while negotiating corners, a feature which I find incredibly entertaining. I haven’t pushed mine over .60G yet, but these cars will reach close to 1.00G on a test track. That’s considerably higher than the Z4’s .92Gs and may be a result of the stickier tires as well as suspension changes..

I never cared for the “Servotronic” steering that BMW put in the Z4, in fact I thought it was a huge step backward from the hydraulic boost used in the Z3. While well weighted, it simply doesn’t provide the feel and feedback of other steering systems. Straight line tracking is okay, but not great. It took a full four wheel alignment on my Z4 before I could get most of the “twitchiness” out of the system. The C6 steering still does not have the fine feel of a Porsche, but it is noticeably better than the Z4. It tracks dead on in straight runs, feels light and responsive in turns, and has a nice heavier feel during high speed driving. My old Z3 exhibited terrible “tramlining” over crowned roads and the steering wheel would be pulled in all directions if you didn’t hold on tight. The Z4 improved on the Z3 in this regard, but still could be a handful over really bad roads. The C6 simply does not have that problem. The C6 is an effortless cruiser, while the Z4 requires a bit more attention.

Braking is excellent on both cars…smooth pedal action and short, well controlled stops. The clutch on the C6 is clearly superior to the Z4 clutch I had in my 2003. I hated the CDV equipped clutch as it came from BMW. I also felt that the clutch engaged too high and was very abrupt. Smooth shifts and starts were not easy in this car. After replacing the CDV with a modified one, the clutch action was much better and not nearly as problematic. It still engaged very high, but at least I could modulate it. The C6 clutch is light, engages slightly high, and is easy to modulate. It feels like a clutch should feel. Both the Z4 and the C6 come with excellent six speed manual transmissions. When new, the transmission on the Z4 was stiff and very notchy in the 1-2 shift gate. This smoothed out with use and it turned out to be a smooth shifting transmission which required low effort in all but the first two shift gates. The C6 transmission feels very different. It has a much heavier centering spring and requires more effort to work through the gears. The throws are fairly short and positive, but it’s not a “flick of the wrist” shifter. Reverse on the C6 can be difficult to engage, and often requires a second try to get it engaged. GM equips the Corvette with something called a “CAGS”, which is a skip shift device. If you try to shift out of first and into second gear while going too slow or under 2,000 rpm, the CAGS will force a 1 to 4 shift. This is apparently done to meet EPA fuel mileage estimates, but it’s a rather annoying device. Aftermarket bypasses are available for about $20.

The interiors of these two cars are, again, very different. The Z4 uses a simple, stylish approach with clean stainless steel surfaces and leather. The C6 is a busier environment with lots of plastic, lots of buttons, and multi-function stalks. It all works well and has reasonable ergonomics, but I think the Z4 interior is much more user friendly. Both cars have excellent gauge clusters that are informative and easy to read. The C6 does have a HUD, or Heads Up Display, which is more useful than I first expected. It’s not at all distracting and provides a digital readout of your speedometer, tachometer, and several other items that you can select. It’s adjustable for brightness and position. It can also be turned completely off. Neither car provided audio or cruise controls on the steering wheel.

The seats on my 2003 were not all that good. They provided little lateral support and not much lumbar support. With the seat all the way back and the seatback reclined, I was always treated to a cacophony of squeaks and rubbing noises from the back of the seat. Legroom was just enough for my 6’3” frame. With the top up, headroom was fine. The seats on the C6 provide full power lumbar and wing adjustments. These simply are the most comfortable seats I’ve ever had in a car.

Acceleration with the Z4 3.0 was always good. Acceleration with the C6 is breathtaking. It may be unfair to compare a 6.0 L engine to a 3.0 L engine, but that’s what they are. Winding out the Z4’s in-line six through the gears is a blast, but it’s downright frightening when you’ve go 400 foot pounds of torque behind you. The low end torque of the C6 lets you loaf around at engine speeds of 1500 rpm without risking lugging the engine. In fact, GM says you can drop down to 900 rpm before a shift is called for. The Z4 requires much more gear switching to stay in its sweet spot but, given the smoothness of its transmission, this is not necessarily a bad thing.

Visibility is limited to some extent on both cars. With the top up, the Z4 has a restricted view out back, a huge blind spot to the sides, and fine visibility up front. The C6 has a narrow view out back and the rear glass is distorted on all coupes. The view to the sides is better than the Z4, but a large blind spot is still there. View out front is fine, but a bit limited vertically. Both cars have good headlight systems. The Z4 is a pure Xenon array, while the C6 uses a Xenon/Tungsten hybrid system. The C6 system works well, but it is not as bright as the Z4 lights.

Driving both cars is a lot of fun…that’s what they’re designed for. The Z4 feels lighter and more nimble in every day driving, but its relatively harsh ride tends to get old quickly. The Z4 uses run flat tire with extremely stiff sidewalls. The C6 also uses run flats, but they have been specially designed for the car by Goodyear and provide improved sidewall flexibility. The Corvette, even with the Z51 performance package, rides considerably better than the Z4. I prefer the steering on the C6, but wish the transmission shifted as smoothly as the Z4. (This may, in fact, smooth out with use as the Z4 did). Both cars have very quiet exhaust systems, and both cars have been criticized for being too quiet. Personally, I don’t mind a quiet car although a more throaty exhaust would be appropriate in both the Z4 and the C6. When pushed hard through the two lane mountain roads that are my normal driving routes, the C6 feels much more “planted’ than the Z4. It exhibits almost no side stepping over rough road surfaces and seems to easily maintain its composure in situations that felt challenging in the Z4. The stability control system is unobtrusive and can be set for “Competition Mode” that allows more driver input if desired. The C6 feels bigger than the Z4, but its razor sharp handling will put a smile on any enthusiast’s face.

No discussion of the new C6 would be complete without mentioning its keyless ignition system. This is a “high tech” electronic system that does away with the ignition key, door locks, and door keyholes. You keep the remote fob on your person, sit in the car, and push the ignition button. No key. When you leave the car, it locks itself. When you approach the car, it opens for you when you touch the door membrane. It’s a little weird and takes a while to get used to, but it does work. There ARE manual bypasses just in case you lose power, so you can always gain entry and start the car. The various functions of this system are programmable through the DIC or Driver Information Center. I currently have mine set to open automatically, but lock in a traditional manner using the fob manually. An “old fashioned” key with a remote fob would have been just fine, in my opinion.

So, which do I prefer? I have to admit that I’m quickly getting addicted to the C6. It‘s looks are sleek and modern, it’s engine is fantastic, and the level of interior comfort is surprisingly good. Laying into full throttle with the LS2 engine is an experience you don’t forget quickly. Is winding out the Z4 fun? It sure is. Is it as adrenaline producing as being projected by a 400 hp V8? Nope. I must admit that the C6 grabs me, from a purely emotional point of view, more strongly than my Z4 ever did. It’s not that it’s a better car; it’s just that it’s a more exciting car to look at and to be in. Is the C6 the perfect American sports car? Probably not. Certainly not any more than the Z4 is the perfect German sports car. It is, however, an amazingly competent and well executed effort by an old time American car builder.

Should every owner of a Z4 run out and order a new C6? Absolutely not! The Z4 has a unique, roadster feel to it that is very different than what you’ll find in the C6. If you love your Z4, it would be hard for me to give you any reason to change. If, however, you are looking for a little more thrill in your ride, the C6 will not disappoint you at all.

My summation: I loved my Z3 but, in spite of all the “improvements”, I only liked my Z4. I’ve only owned the C6 for a short period of time but, so far, I’m just totally blown away by it. The car is a joy to look at and a total thrill to drive. I hope the reliability turns out to be as good as my Z3 and Z4…if it does, GM has a truly world class sports car on its hands.

Stan

Last edited by StanNH; 11-07-2004 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:56 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Excellent and honest review. To often emotions cloud objective reasoning. Of course Corvette's are prone to doing that

Personally I'm waiting for the next Z. That will be a vette that can rightly claim King Of The Hill status.

Tom
Old 11-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Mr. Lucky
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

WOW... great review, Stan!

I've read comparisons from professional critics that weren't as informative, even-handed, and fun to read as yours.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:59 AM
C6SNOOPY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From one Stan to another, your review makes my mouth water for my yet to be built C6 convertible.

A wonderful, objective review between the two cars!

Thank you for the time you spent to write your post and sharing your thoughts.

Best regards,

Stan M.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:30 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BW1
WOW... great review, Stan!

I've read comparisons from professional critics that weren't as informative, even-handed, and fun to read as yours.
The Z4 is my second choice; almost bought one!!
Old 11-07-2004, 02:13 PM
jackcasa
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stan, thanks for the in-depth, insightful review. My wife has an '03 Z4, 3.0L with the 5-speed automatic and she loves it. Matter of fact, she has never been so vocal about a car before. My daily driver is a '98 coupe with 6-speed. In the handling department the Z4 outshines the C5. I'm waiting for GM to accept my dealer's order for my C6 coupe, 1SB, MN6, 86U(Mag Red), 363(Steel Gray).
Old 11-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Frank
Instructor

Great article. Next fill us in on Dealer experiences.
How you are treated, loaners, what you have done.
What vehicles are in front of you. Stuff like that.
Thanks. I too love the Z4
Old 11-07-2004, 03:26 PM
ZoSo
Heel & Toe

I'm trying to decide whether to keep my 04 330i and get a C6 or trade in the 330i and get the E90 M3 when it comes out. From what I can gather the C5 & C6 also have some kind of a CDV, but I guess it isn't as intrusive as the BMW's CDV. Thanks for the review.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:00 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Very good review Stan, and quite fair. I've owned 8 BMW's in 20 years, and was always loyal (until Chris Bangle). As a first-time Corvette owner, I'm very impressed too.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:10 PM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

Good review (and well-written.)

One thing. The headlights. Are you sure the Z4 is brighter? Dave Hill has made a big point about how they are the most advanced, etc.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:40 PM
richbell
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very nice review!

Now you forgot to mention the expected stigma attached with the cars.

For example when you buy a Z4 you are expected to own one of these accessories:

When you drive a C6 you are expected to have these accessories:

Old 11-07-2004, 06:10 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Lazerwolfe
Good review (and well-written.)

One thing. The headlights. Are you sure the Z4 is brighter? Dave Hill has made a big point about how they are the most advanced, etc.
Absolutely! They both have about the same range based on the number of road reflectors I can see lit up at a given distance. The difference is that the Xenons used on the BMW are a bright, white light, wheras the C6 high beams throw off a dimmer, yellowish light.

And Rich...I already have the C6 accessories. I notice they're a matched set...I may not have the complete set. Never did have the right hat for the Z4 though.

Stan
Old 11-07-2004, 06:20 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Default A comment from a British Z4 owner

I'm not sure this makes complete sense to me. It certainly contradicts every test I've read. I've never seen a Z4 make over .92 G on any test, let alone on stock tires. The stock C6 should make .93 G and .98 G with the Z51. I haven't seen any slalom comparisons, but I can't see the Z4 having this much of an advantage. Here's the quote:

"There are couple of things to be clarified as far as roadholding index and handling goes. I haven't seen specs of chassis rigidity for the C6 coupe or convertible but the handling aspects of the Zed4 is better since it claims a higher slalom speed by about 5 mph higher; for the Zed4 3.0 on stock run flats (@70.2 mph)whereas the C6 claimed 65.1 on the stock GoodYears.

The road holding index for both cars measured the same @ 0.95 g's on stock tyres but the C6 has wider tyres front and rear so expect the Zed4 skidpad rating to equal or better the C6 on track with comparable wheels/tyre combination."

Does this make any sense to you at all? Where do these numbers come from? They may be right, but it's nothing I've ever seen or heard of before.

Stan
Old 11-07-2004, 06:31 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

No question, my wife has one of the new 5s and the lights are better than my car. Not greatly so but undeniably better. The BMW xenons seem to almost have white added to the light. Hard to describe if you havent seen it. Either one makes the lights on my 03 truck look way weak.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:35 PM
cmurman
Advanced

thanks for a wonderful review/comparison. I found it very well written and interesting. I just picked up a new C6 this week and will be posting a similar comparison to my BMW M3. Bottom line... the M3 is for sale. The C6 is the Keeper!
Thanks again- well written.

Chris
Old 11-07-2004, 06:41 PM
jackcasa
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frank
Great article. Next fill us in on Dealer experiences.
How you are treated, loaners, what you have done.
What vehicles are in front of you. Stuff like that.
Thanks. I too love the Z4
Loaners, from a Chevy dealer? You've got to be kidding! The first time I took my '98 in for service I asked for a loaner and they pointed me towards the Enterprise Rental desk within the dealership.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:59 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Great write-up Stan.

I have owned a lot of vehicles (I think 48 now). About half have been foreign cars, so I'm not the prototypical "Detroit iron only" person either. I have always liked BMW's, but never owned one because they just don't meet my "value" standards. But I will never knock them (except some of the new Bangle desings - especially the "5" series, and the I-Drive).

Years ago you could not have given me a Corvette - too unrefined and a total lack of quality. That changed with the honing of the C4's in the early '90's, when I bought my first Corvette. I considered the C5 to be world class, and the new C6 is even more so.

I now have over 300 miles on my C6 since Tuesday, and agree that it is an awesome car.

Thanks again for the great write-up.

Get notified of new replies

To My BMW Z4 versus C6 Corvette comparison report. (Long).

Old 11-07-2004, 08:25 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
It’s not that it’s a better car

Hmm...but it seems like you like it more...
Old 11-07-2004, 08:52 PM
wlee013
Pro

I am a former BMW guy. Sold the 530i and was going to get 645Ci Coupe or M3 until I laid my eyes on the C6. I still have a 325iT Wagon for the rainy days. I am very happy with my C6 with one quibble. Lowly polished wheels.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:10 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

You're right, that was long. Good write-up.

Quick Reply: My BMW Z4 versus C6 Corvette comparison report. (Long).