Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Don't be mad at me guys.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:12 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Over here, we see MUCH MORE Viper than ZR1! So to me the ZR1 is much more exotic than a Viper. But im a car lover, and if i had the funds, i would have viper, mustang, cts-v, gtr, another supra and the list goes on.... But to me nothing come close to the ZR1. Its a choice in life
Enjoy your viper, life is really short....
Old 04-01-2014, 11:15 AM
barduch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by camirocz
For me the only logical car to own after a zr1 is a 911 turbo porsche.I ve had a couple of vipers come in as trade ins and never would i keep one.Its a personal choice.
Could not agree more! The 991 turbo is as close to the perfect car as it gets. The AWD, the timeless body style, the drivability of German engineering (an intangible that is just there on German cars), the reliability and ease of maintenance (compared to super exotics), the sliding roof design, and the most comfortable cockpit of any of the "super cars" all adds up to that almost perfect automobile.

Perfect garage, a Blade Silver ZR1 parked next to a Rhodium Silver 991 Turbo S.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Twist of Fate
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by barduch
Could not agree more! The 991 turbo is as close to the perfect car as it gets.
There's no manual transmission offered, which makes it far from perfect in my book.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:23 PM
barduch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Twist of Fate
There's no manual transmission offered, which makes it far from perfect in my book.
I, too, enjoy manually shifting through the gears in my ZR1. However, with AWD and a 7 speed double clutch auto-shift transmission, the 991 Turbo S beats the ZR1 to 60 by more than a half second. That is astonishing. No way would I purchase a 1970 Chevelle SS454 LS6 with an automatic transmission. I'd want the M22 Rockcrusher. But, if we are talking about the current crop of uber-supercars, then one might consider embracing the latest and greatest technology available. It is kind of like making a choice between Nascar and Formula 1. I like both (OK, I like Formula 1 a bit more).
Old 04-01-2014, 04:55 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree totally and don't care how much faster the auto trans is.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:11 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by svtkeith

If I'm buying one to be super-fast and have a second car for a really good time, sure, but if I've only got money for one toy car, I'd prefer a manual
Old 04-01-2014, 11:31 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
life
Enjoy your viper, life is really short....
Very Very true!
I like that car a lot, but I need something that wants a little input from me...
Old 04-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Twist of Fate
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So Boba, have you got a chance to hammer on the T/A yet? How does it compare?
Old 04-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

So Boba, have you got a chance to hammer on the T/A yet? How does it compare?
Unf Twist I have not had it out even a 2nd time yet...

I am really hoping to take her to cars and coffee this sun, get some miles on her and roll with the big boys...30 miles on her so far...nothing more to tell yet.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:30 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Sweet ride.

What's up with that TA on the side? (Thinking late 80s Trans Am).

What year and model is that? Specs? I am not very familiar with Vipers at all.

Looks good in "Faded Construction Cone" orange Hahaha Just kidding. Looks great!!!
nice! Fixed!
Old 10-20-2014, 08:49 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

I have always been a Viper guy but not able to afford one. So I got the best thing my budget will allow, my C5Z. one day I will have a 2nd gen ACR and hopefully a 5th gen TA like yours. Great looking car!!
Old 10-22-2014, 12:38 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Boba, any updated impressions?
Old 10-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Boba, any updated impressions?
I did a comparison review and much hasn't changed from that but always love car talk.

First off, the ZR and TA are simply remarkable cars and both are a huge bang for the buck especially for those lucky enough to get them for lower than the MSRP.

The ZR is def the low end hit winner where the Viper delivers high in the R's. The Viper is still much more the drivers car even with the aids. Ive tracked the Viper once (lightly) so far, compared to having tracked the ZR twice and not to include the ZR1 School.

Because of the low end acceleration I feel the ZR is the better street weapon but prefer the Viper on the track. And by no means am I a hardcore tracker.

The Vette will always have a larger following due to its friendlier nature compared to the Viper. I don't think this was a surprise as the Viper was never a heavy produced car. This is probably what I like most about the Viper when compared to the ZR. I don't dd my toy cars and so when I go for a spirited run or even just a quick ride, I love the aggression and unwilling to compromise the Viper gives. This is embraced by many Viper enthusiasts.

Vettes are much easier to mod and the aftermarket isn't even comparable. A lose to the Viper. Im a modder-although I did not mod the ZR (Akropovic exhaust exception) and probably will never mod the Viper.

As most know, the Vipers Int is far superior to the ZR's as well as the shifting.

On the whole they both achieve the same results very similarly, but different enough to want to own both (see Captn Van). As I said, both remarkable cars!!

Old 10-22-2014, 02:06 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

thanks for the review! Definitely all makes sense and if I had a 10 car garage, I wouldn't mind having a TA next to my ZR1, 991 Turbo, 458, etc.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:16 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I did a comparison review and much hasn't changed from that but always love car talk.

First off, the ZR and TA are simply remarkable cars and both are a huge bang for the buck especially for those lucky enough to get them for lower than the MSRP.

The ZR is def the low end hit winner where the Viper delivers high in the R's. The Viper is still much more the drivers car even with the aids. Ive tracked the Viper once (lightly) so far, compared to having tracked the ZR twice and not to include the ZR1 School.

Because of the low end acceleration I feel the ZR is the better street weapon but prefer the Viper on the track. And by no means am I a hardcore tracker.

The Vette will always have a larger following due to its friendlier nature compared to the Viper. I don't think this was a surprise as the Viper was never a heavy produced car. This is probably what I like most about the Viper when compared to the ZR. I don't dd my toy cars and so when I go for a spirited run or even just a quick ride, I love the aggression and unwilling to compromise the Viper gives. This is embraced by many Viper enthusiasts.

Vettes are much easier to mod and the aftermarket isn't even comparable. A lose to the Viper. Im a modder-although I did not mod the ZR (Akropovic exhaust exception) and probably will never mod the Viper.

As most know, the Vipers Int is far superior to the ZR's as well as the shifting.

On the whole they both achieve the same results very similarly, but different enough to want to own both (see Captn Van). As I said, both remarkable cars!!

Great review well said!!
Old 10-22-2014, 08:08 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

good stuff !
Old 10-23-2014, 02:52 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Great review well said!!
Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
good stuff !

Get notified of new replies

To Don't be mad at me guys.....

Old 10-23-2014, 02:53 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
thanks for the review! Definitely all makes sense and if I had a 10 car garage, I wouldn't mind having a TA next to my ZR1, 991 Turbo, 458, etc.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:28 PM
BanditDave
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm too poor to be in this sub-forum....lol

Bitchin' rides....both of them.

Planning on a C7Z as I had a '13 CTS-V and their prices are pretty comparable from an MSRP perspective...

Best of luck with the Viper!
Old 10-25-2014, 05:33 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BanditDave
I'm too poor to be in this sub-forum....lol

Bitchin' rides....both of them.

Planning on a C7Z as I had a '13 CTS-V and their prices are pretty comparable from an MSRP perspective...

Best of luck with the Viper!
thanks buddy

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Don't be mad at me guys.....