C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette C6......Magnacharger + Factory hood cutout

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 04:18 AM
C6-LS2-MN6
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Corvette C6......Magnacharger + Factory hood cutout

I just got around to taking some pictures and thought I'd post some up for everyone to check out.

2006 LS2 vette w/ 6speed manual (close to 600HP @ the crank)
-Magnacharger MP112
-American Racing 1 7/8" headers (no cats)
-B&B bullets for exhaust
-all installed/dyno tuned by 21st Century Muscle Cars in Dallas

DYNO #'s
510 HP
505 TQ

The Torque is neck snapping just off part throttle! Its already at 460TQ just by 2500 rpm's. Its hard to even explain in words the difference this type of supercharger makes in DAILY DRIVING and spirited runs on the interstate. It really puts power in the usable RPM range where most people drive their cars.

Like in any Supercharger application HP/TQ #'s are just a reflection of what "pulley" one chooses to run and the tuner feels is acceptable in the long run for durability. I could have gone with a more aggressive tune and pulley size to create more boost, but after talking to my tuner, choose to stay on the conservative side and keep the boost @ 7lbs for now. At this level, for a car that only weighs 3179lbs its more than most drivers can ever use anyways.

Last edited by C6-LS2-MN6; 05-07-2017 at 05:48 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:22 AM
lsbrodsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice pics, thanks. I have a serious, ignorant question. If you are out in the rain does that create any issues for the SC or under the hood?

Larry
Old 02-26-2010, 11:43 AM
C6-LS2-MN6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
Nice pics, thanks. I have a serious, ignorant question. If you are out in the rain does that create any issues for the SC or under the hood?

Larry
Thanks Larry. The Magnacharger (any charger for that matter) and the engine is a sealed unit....otherwise oil and water would go everywhere when someone cranks it. Not to mention, peoples' engine bays are totally exposed to the weather elements including belts from the front grill and underside of the body already. When you're going 70mph down the highway, water goes everywhere already in factory trim when it's raining....that is why GM uses "weather resistant" electrical connections with dielectric grease and silicon grommets throughout the engine bay area.

Last edited by C6-LS2-MN6; 02-26-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:17 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's cool. Sort of like the old school blower w/ dual quads. The cut looks very clean.

Did you make a template or go free hand?
Any straight on shots from directly in front of the car?
Have you considered paint matching the intake parts that are black?
Old 02-26-2010, 12:26 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C6-LS2-MN6
The Magnacharger (any charger for that matter) and the engine is a sealed unit....otherwise oil and water would go everywhere when someone cranks it. Not to mention, peoples' engine bays are totally exposed to the weather elements including belts from the front grill and underside of the body already. When you're going 70mph down the highway, water goes everywhere already in factory trim when it's raining....that is why GM uses "weather resistant" electrical connections with dielectric grease and silicon grommets throughout the engine bay area.
Say what? The majority of your engine bay is shielded from water by design. Man, that just looks tacky as hell.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:51 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Very well done! I think this looks 1000 times better than the big hood bulges most people are running with these blowers. Well done

Originally Posted by user_name
Say what? The majority of your engine bay is shielded from water by design.
Pull over into a gas station and pop your hood open after driving in heavy rain, then re-consider that statement... I've always regularly power wash the engine of every car I've ever owned; the engines are completely splash proof.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:13 PM
C6-LS2-MN6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EDinPA

That's cool. Sort of like the old school blower w/ dual quads. The cut looks very clean.

Did you make a template or go free hand?
Any straight on shots from directly in front of the car?
Have you considered paint matching the intake parts that are black?
THANK YOU, I appreciate the compliment. The C6 vette actually has very firm motor mounts from the factory so there isn't a lot of engine movement. I had a custom body shop in Dallas do the factory hood cut out with a 1/4" tolerance around EVERY part of the exposed Maggie.

It took the shop longer to do the hood than most people take on a simple cam job! I want things PERFECT and knew what it would cost going into it. After 2 days of tedious trimming and paying by the hour as well as all silver painted surfaces taped off to prevent any slight scratches....I could have bought a cowl hood or Carbon Fiber hood, but I personally did not want the Mustang Fox body look and in the past with my F-bodies using RK sport hoods, I never got 100% OEM quality and fitment with the aftermarket hoods from what I've seen. I'm very very picky and also wanted my silver paint to still be all factory and match. The other option I tried was a $3000 factory silver CF ZR1 take off hood, but it would not fit my application, so I passed on it.

Say what? The majority of your engine bay is shielded from water by design. Man, that just looks tacky as hell.
Our cars are not water tight submarines from the rain and the modifications we do usually reflect how and where we drive them...I try to avoid wet days from the start and don't plan to take it off road in the mud like a 4X4. I was just explaining how GM takes precautions as to water around the engine.

Originally Posted by PowerLabs

Very well done! I think this looks 1000 times better than the big hood bulges most people are running with these blowers. Well done

Pull over into a gas station and pop your hood open after driving in heavy rain, then re-consider that statement... I've always regularly power wash the engine of every car I've ever owned; the engines are completely splash proof.
Thanks for the compliments guys

Last edited by C6-LS2-MN6; 02-26-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:43 PM
BAADC6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice
Old 02-26-2010, 07:59 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Did you price a TVS? If so, what was the $ difference in the MP112 vs either TVS unit?
Old 02-26-2010, 08:32 PM
jwsmith
Instructor

Default Welcome to the Maggie club!

I have a Lingenfelter installed 122 Maggie running 6psi of boost. Everyone has their opinion on their favorite supercharger....I will tell you, I could not be happier with my choice....and I love that famous WHINE that only a Maggie will make. Very nice job on the cut out hood! I have a LPE hood with a large opening in the front....everyone ask me about water issues also.....none here, and I have driven my car in the heaviest of rainstorms.....ZERO issues! Your car looks great...always nice to see something unique.
Attached Images    
Old 02-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

That's kinda cool looking man and definitely something you won't see every day.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:48 PM
0Magna Charger
Former Vendor

Very cool! Thank all of you for your continued support!

C6-LS2-MN6, Welcome to the CLUB!
Old 02-26-2010, 11:28 PM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

Glad to see I am not the only one cutting holes in a stock LS2 hood. With the blower, cam, and headers, under hood temps were hot!!! Not anymore. I don't drive in the rain, but actually used the cutout in case of emergency:

Old 02-27-2010, 01:05 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dovervold
Glad to see I am not the only one cutting holes in a stock LS2 hood. With the blower, cam, and headers, under hood temps were hot!!! Not anymore.
I'm sorry, but there is no way that big gaping hole showing your engine actually does much for cooling...
Old 02-27-2010, 01:23 AM
BartonekDragRacing
Drifting

C6-LS2-MN6:

very clean install.. A+. Love the hood cutout! Got any vid clips?
Old 02-27-2010, 02:30 PM
gengiskhan
Intermediate

c6-ls2-mn6

did u scale you car in order to get the weight??
Old 02-28-2010, 05:27 AM
C6-LS2-MN6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Did you price a TVS? If so, what was the $ difference in the MP112 vs either TVS unit?
At the time of purchase, the TVS setup was just hitting the scene and I'm not even sure if they were making them for my LS2 yet anyways. As for the price they both seem to be about the same +/- a half grand or so...when its all said and done, one will spend around $12,000 with all supporting mods and professional labor/dyno tuning for a compete supercharger setup (charger/headers/exhaust/labor/dyno tune/intake/ect.).
Originally Posted by gengiskhan
c6-ls2-mn6

did u scale you car in order to get the weight??
No, I just used the next best thing....internet lookup. I maybe off, if someone knows what a base model C6 might weigh, feel free to chime in...thanks.

To everyone one else who posted up pics and the others who commented....THANKS

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C6......Magnacharger + Factory hood cutout

Old 02-28-2010, 07:02 AM
filmjay
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Love it. Very clean, and I agree that it looks way better than the tall hoods.

Ever think of forming a small lexan "bubble" over the top?
Old 02-28-2010, 07:59 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

"Tacky as hell" is your response to someone who shows you something he is proud of?
Old 02-28-2010, 11:18 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Quick Reply: Corvette C6......Magnacharger + Factory hood cutout