C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What went wrong??Supercharged my C6 and blew motor on dyno.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 11:36 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,193 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Finding the right shop is critical. I would never take my Vette to a shop that didn't specialize in Corvette/GM performance, just as I would not take my BMW to my Corvette tuner.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:13 AM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Guess he has money to blow.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:36 AM
1sc334
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Guess he has money to blow.
Agreed!!! Asked for advice...got plenty good advice and went against just about all of it and now says he's not satisfied with build...I'm lost.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:47 AM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan70
Finding the right shop is critical. I would never take my Vette to a shop that didn't specialize in Corvette/GM performance, just as I would not take my BMW to my Corvette tuner.
Agreed. Performance work on European cars is much different than a GM application -- especially a big build like this. I speak from experience with both, as I've been doing my own LSx work for quite a few years, and work with German cars professionally. I've built and tuned both kinds of cars myself. Different worlds, that's for sure.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Josh@AandASuperchargers
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 183 Likes on 143 Posts

Just know we are always here at A&A Corvette. All we work on and tune are '97-current Corvettes.

PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO VISIT OUR NEW WEBSITE AT WWW.AACORVETTE.COM
NOW PARTNERING WITH AFFIRM TO OFFER INTEREST FREE FINANCING!

A&A CORVETTE PERFORMANCE
477 LAMBERT ST Ste A
OXNARD CA 93036
(805) 278-4107

Instagram @aacorvettesuperchargers
Facebook.com/AACorvette

Old 10-11-2014, 12:33 AM
kjstoy
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Scary Similar

Man... chicken skin after reading this post. Its so similar to my situation , even the way your car runs "After" the new build. My ZR1 clutch blew up only 100 miles after install, and was replaced. Car died off , popped , ran like crap. I finally SHIPPED my car over the Pacific Ocean to Andy and Josh at A &A Corvette .
My intentions were to trade it in on a different vehicle if it couldn't be repaired, even though I knew I would lose a lot of money. Car had only 3200 miles,(2006 ) looked brand new , motor blew on dyno etc. similar. This was in December of 2013, and I got it back home in February of 2014.
Car runs fantastic, even up to now. Needed not only a new tune, but fuel pump upgrades also. Believe me, best money I've spent, shipping it to A&A, and I wished I shipped it out earlier. Lost a lot of money trying to have it repaired locally. Super nice guys kept me updated thru out the repairs, even washed off the salt water from shipping.

Last edited by kjstoy; 10-11-2014 at 01:28 AM. Reason: added lines
Old 10-21-2014, 02:01 AM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a slightly similar situation here but with my LS7. Boost levels and power levels not quite as high, but I now have an all forged motor and a McLeod RXT clutch. Looks like you are getting most things covered in your build, including monster injectors. I too did not want to run meth, so I kept safe tune and 650rwhp. Best advice that I can give, that may have already been said in this lengthy thread is, upgrade the s**t out of your fuel system. ECS Stage 1 fuel system, stock Z pump with BAP was my insurance for my power level. An axle doing a highway pull was my next thing I broke. So now I have DSS Stage 3 axles. Pricey but worth it. Good luck with everything and hope to hear good news of a good tune and some good numbers.

cracked piston
Old 10-21-2014, 09:48 AM
robertaj
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so why are you so against meth? Just curious. I went with meth basically for the safety factor... not for the added power. It gives you both but really keeps things cooler and you can hot lap consistently rather then 2 pulls then you fall on your face.

Meth is cheap cheap insurance... .not to mention it lasts a long time depending how you drive if you sit above 5lb boost all the time or not.

My vette is my daily driver.. sits in traffic etc etc.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:21 AM
06x6spdGTO
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If your tuner was to watch IAT temps during the WOT pull that crashed your stock motor... Your jaw would hit the floor... Ive seen tuned a few Centrifugals (dont care what brand you want to look at)and watched them push IAT's from 90* at 2000RPM to 190* at 6200 rpm on the Dyno.

That was at 7psi on a SBE LS2...

Seen the same thing at 9psi on a SBE LS3...

So the way around it was cooling the air charge down... Meth/Water Injection

^ Added Meth injection to a completely stock to the catback LS2 A6
Old 10-22-2014, 07:08 AM
travis1693
Advanced

Originally Posted by ANGRY Z

I had a slightly similar situation here but with my LS7. Boost levels and power levels not quite as high, but I now have an all forged motor and a McLeod RXT clutch. Looks like you are getting most things covered in your build, including monster injectors. I too did not want to run meth, so I kept safe tune and 650rwhp. Best advice that I can give, that may have already been said in this lengthy thread is, upgrade the s**t out of your fuel system. ECS Stage 1 fuel system, stock Z pump with BAP was my insurance for my power level. An axle doing a highway pull was my next thing I broke. So now I have DSS Stage 3 axles. Pricey but worth it. Good luck with everything and hope to hear good news of a good tune and some good numbers.

cracked piston
Well, I'm still waiting for my vette to be finished up at the shop, it had some other issues and has not been ran yet. Needed a new ECM which has slowed the process down. When the new shop got the car, the ECM had a corrupted file contained within it that would not allow it to accept data. I don't know too much about this but for 330 bucks I said just replace it. Been waiting on a custom tune from Hennesey (the tuner school) thats relative to the build. I'm just trying to get it finished up for this year like you said safe hp for whats in it as I need to get it put away for the winter. Next season she will get a new fuel system. I definitely agree with you on the axles as I have broken them on my other c6 that was pretty much stock and they only had 40000 miles on them. From the info I got from the guys at the track (road coarse) they only run them for so many hours and then replace.
I will probably be adding a meth kit next year, but I need to get more info. I would like to know if I can simply add the kit without retunning for it. I don't care about the extra power but would like the insurance. I have read some post's that people talk about not tunning the car for meth so it doesn't rely on it, but rather just aid in controlling the IAT's.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:34 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by travis1693
Well, I'm still waiting for my vette to be finished up at the shop, it had some other issues and has not been ran yet. Needed a new ECM which has slowed the process down. When the new shop got the car, the ECM had a corrupted file contained within it that would not allow it to accept data. I don't know too much about this but for 330 bucks I said just replace it. Been waiting on a custom tune from Hennesey (the tuner school) thats relative to the build. I'm just trying to get it finished up for this year like you said safe hp for whats in it as I need to get it put away for the winter. Next season she will get a new fuel system. I definitely agree with you on the axles as I have broken them on my other c6 that was pretty much stock and they only had 40000 miles on them. From the info I got from the guys at the track (road coarse) they only run them for so many hours and then replace.
I will probably be adding a meth kit next year, but I need to get more info. I would like to know if I can simply add the kit without retunning for it. I don't care about the extra power but would like the insurance. I have read some post's that people talk about not tunning the car for meth so it doesn't rely on it, but rather just aid in controlling the IAT's.

You must re-tune for Meth, by spraying it you are adding fuel. If you don't take some fuel out you will be running pig rich. Two theories there, some prefer to spray the hell out of it and have the car rely on it. That way if you run out or stop spraying the car will fall on its face. Others prefer to only run it as a safety measure and not add any additional timing.

Last edited by NormWild; 10-22-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:55 AM
06x6spdGTO
Pro

Originally Posted by NormWild
You must re-tune for Meth, by spraying it you are adding fuel. If you don't take some fuel out you will be running pig rich. Two theories there, some prefer to spray the hell out of it and have the car rely on it. That way if you run out or stop spraying the car will fall on its face. Others prefer to only run it as a safety measure and not add any additional timing.
You need to retune for meth.

With that being said you can jet the kit a little lower than normally required and not rely as heavily as you normally would for Meth Injection. (If you jet big for Meth you start cutting alot of the fuel source required in the PE table down to as much as 15-20% less than you would normally command.)

Most kits Ive installed I use a Low Level sensor, (factory WASHER Fluid tank on the C6) to let you know when your fluid level is low.

I add timing to get a power bump out of the car and use a breakout Intake Air Temp sensor in which I sprayed the Meth Injection across.. Showing a drastic decrease in IAT temps... Doing it this way allows me to pulling timing via the IAT Base table in the tune. So If there is not a drastic decrease in IAT temps obviously the kit is not spray methanol out of the nozzle. So my IAT BASE table will be very aggressive and pull the timing needed to keep the motor safe. (Losing 8-10* of timing).
Old 10-22-2014, 11:27 AM
Josh@AandASuperchargers
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 183 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by travis1693

Sorry to hear that, sounds like you would have been better off bringing the car to A&A.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:50 AM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Why would you bring it to another shop... Just to have them wait on a tune from someone else..... Come on man
Old 10-22-2014, 12:29 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 06x6spdGTO
You need to retune for meth. With that being said you can jet the kit a little lower than normally required and not rely as heavily as you normally would for Meth Injection. (If you jet big for Meth you start cutting alot of the fuel source required in the PE table down to as much as 15-20% less than you would normally command.) Most kits Ive installed I use a Low Level sensor, (factory WASHER Fluid tank on the C6) to let you know when your fluid level is low. I add timing to get a power bump out of the car and use a breakout Intake Air Temp sensor in which I sprayed the Meth Injection across.. Showing a drastic decrease in IAT temps... Doing it this way allows me to pulling timing via the IAT Base table in the tune. So If there is not a drastic decrease in IAT temps obviously the kit is not spray methanol out of the nozzle. So my IAT BASE table will be very aggressive and pull the timing needed to keep the motor safe. (Losing 8-10* of timing).
How much of a iat temp drop do you expect to see when using meth?
Old 10-22-2014, 12:31 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
Why would you bring it to another shop... Just to have them wait on a tune from someone else..... Come on man
Indeed. I was coming to post the same thing.

Wonder if the old ecm was locked.

Can't believe they're waiting on another shop for the tune. A&A gave a freagin base tune to start with for crying out loud
Old 10-22-2014, 03:13 PM
06x6spdGTO
Pro

Originally Posted by schpenxel
How much of a iat temp drop do you expect to see when using meth?
Depends on how much you spray, on my personal LS2 GTO My IAT will drop from 115*-124*F at cruising all the way down to 80*F Under WOT...

Your using the IAT simply as a sensor to let you know when the system is spraying... On most Centri Setups under 4th gear pull on the dyno you will see IATs go from 90* @ 2000rpm up to 170-190* at 6400rpm WOT. So you can get creative with the IAT table, knowing that anything over 115* WOT the system obviously is not spraying meth/water... And to compensate to the added timing the IAT base table will remove XX Amount of timing...

I get pretty aggressive on the timing pull of the IAT BASE on my Calibrations. With that said find someone who has installed and tuned various meth setups... For Centrifugal superchargers I prefer to go Progressive base as Boost isnt as Linear as a Roots setup.

Get notified of new replies

To What went wrong??Supercharged my C6 and blew motor on dyno.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:31 AM
travis1693
Advanced

Originally Posted by Josh@AandASuperchargers
Sorry to hear that, sounds like you would have been better off bringing the car to A&A.
It's all good,she's up and running and runs like it should, no worries Josh, you'll get the car in the spring to do a fuel system and meth kit. I just needed to get it wrapped up for this season as it's time for it to go into storage.

I would like to say Thank You to you for giving your input to Max RPM, even though you would have preferred to have the car yourself. Thats why A&A is awesome, you support your product! Throughout this project I have definitely made some decisions I regret, but the one thing I would not have changed was the Supercharger kit and Pulley set up that has A&A stamped on it. Back in early August, when I began this project, if I had known what I know now, I would have just brought the car down to you,but too much time passed and it got too late in the season and I just ran out of time. I know that down there, and where a lot of the other guys are from that have given their input, they don't have the winter to contend with that I have up here. I'm very careful with my car, from the day it came off the showroom floor it has never even seen rain. Always kept inside, and goes into climate controlled storage for the winter.

Thanks Again for the help, and I will email you the final tune file and dyno sheets when I get them.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:50 AM
travis1693
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
Read the post man. Exactly where do you think I got the new ECU from? Not refurbished, but NEW. Do you have them? Do you have the ability to imprint the vin on a brand new ecu?

I have no problem with my tuner going to other vendors and forums to get support and input, before just blindly & recklessly throwing a tune in it, doing a couple of hard dyno pulls and pop goes the weasel. Oh ya, the last tunner that blew it up wouldn't take input from anyone, very arrogant, and way over confident and just wanted to crack on everyone else and say that he knew so much more. All B.S. as far as I'm concerned, sound familiar?

FYI: The car is up and running, runs perfectly, starts like it should and idles like it should. Just completing some data logging today for final adjustments before they let me pick up the car. Hmm?? Kind of what a guy would expect for his money, who cares where or how they get their information, maybe all of you do, but I don't give a dam as long as when they give it back with the bill, everything is done and done right.

Good talk

Last edited by travis1693; 10-23-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:01 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

No offense, but you just responded to a well respected LS tuner. Fran knows what's up, and I'd have to agree. You basically got a mail order tune, which isn't a horrible thing, but for a build like yours I don't think it's ideal.

Quick Reply: What went wrong??Supercharged my C6 and blew motor on dyno.