C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, I finally did it.. (ECS /FSP)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:03 PM
Ultrasport05
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Installed PLX gen 4 w/4.9 sensor tonight. Working pretty good it seems. At least it's working, that's more than I can say for the MTX-L one.

Not sure why, but the sensor health and reaction time screens aren't working. I'm guessing it takes some time for the controller to get enough data to start displaying anything there but I'm just guessing

Had my dash logic interface setup for the old WB so it was showing 0.60 lambda when I got on it, lol. Oops
Nice. I'll wait for a week or so and see how it's working for you before I pull the trigger.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:17 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Arctic Vette
You get dyno yet?
I don't think I've even driven the car this week

I took tomorrow off work and the wideband is working correctly now, so I'm planning on finishing this damn tune tomorrow so I can get it on a dyno soon. I'm still on stock exhaust and cam though so I won't be making the kind of power you guys are

Originally Posted by Ultrasport05
Nice. I'll wait for a week or so and see how it's working for you before I pull the trigger.
Sounds good. I should be pretty hard on it tomorrow, so we'll see how it does
Old 05-21-2015, 11:52 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

what do you have left to be able to get it dynoed besides finishing the tune?
Old 05-22-2015, 06:04 AM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't think I've even driven the car this week

I took tomorrow off work and the wideband is working correctly now, so I'm planning on finishing this damn tune tomorrow so I can get it on a dyno soon. I'm still on stock exhaust and cam though so I won't be making the kind of power you guys are

Sounds good. I should be pretty hard on it tomorrow, so we'll see how it does
Bro pls post pic here where u mounted plx and dashlogic. Im thinking of putting plx in cup holder for stealthness lol..
Old 05-22-2015, 08:57 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by neutron82
what do you have left to be able to get it dynoed besides finishing the tune?
Tune should be it... clutch is way past broken in, injectors are way overkill, exhaust isn't killing me anymore, etc. So I think it's good to go.

Bro pls post pic here where u mounted plx and dashlogic. Im thinking of putting plx in cup holder for stealthness lol..
k i'll get some pics today. basically the red box is mounted in the glovebox then the dash logic thing you have to plug into the OBD port over on the drivers side. I got a little OBD extension cable to help get it out of the way. i'll post some pictures in a bit. I'm hoping to get most of tune ironed out today. I have 4 or 5 hours with not much else to do today for once.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:14 AM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Tune should be it... clutch is way past broken in, injectors are way overkill, exhaust isn't killing me anymore, etc. So I think it's good to go.

k i'll get some pics today. basically the red box is mounted in the glovebox then the dash logic thing you have to plug into the OBD port over on the drivers side. I got a little OBD extension cable to help get it out of the way. i'll post some pictures in a bit. I'm hoping to get most of tune ironed out today. I have 4 or 5 hours with not much else to do today for once.
Ok thanks bud
Old 05-22-2015, 12:15 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Good lawd this thing is more fun every time I press the gas pedal further for longer!

I got on it under an overpass earlier and let off.. bypass valve opening under there sounded wicked.

Worked on tune for a few hours this morning.. have VE down to 2% error or less in daily driving areas and starting to work on higher parts. So far they're looking good. Error will go up I'm sure when daily driving in different temps, but whatever, fuel trims can take care of day to day changes.

5.3 psi @ 4200 is what I'm up to so far. Looking good up to there.. not sure I'll have time today to go much higher but I may take another crack at it in a little bit.

Heading out for a mini-vacation late this afternoon so I won't be able to mess with it again until Sunday

edit: I was just looking at find it pretty funny that big chunks of my VE table are within about 3% from stock in the normal non boost areas. That really makes me believe ID's injector data is extremely accurate.

Last edited by schpenxel; 05-22-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:51 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Good lawd this thing is more fun every time I press the gas pedal further for longer!

I got on it under an overpass earlier and let off.. bypass valve opening under there sounded wicked.

Worked on tune for a few hours this morning.. have VE down to 2% error or less in daily driving areas and starting to work on higher parts. So far they're looking good. Error will go up I'm sure when daily driving in different temps, but whatever, fuel trims can take care of day to day changes.

5.3 psi @ 4200 is what I'm up to so far. Looking good up to there.. not sure I'll have time today to go much higher but I may take another crack at it in a little bit.

Heading out for a mini-vacation late this afternoon so I won't be able to mess with it again until Sunday

edit: I was just looking at find it pretty funny that big chunks of my VE table are within about 3% from stock in the normal non boost areas. That really makes me believe ID's injector data is extremely accurate.
Good to hear that you got the PLX Gen 4 and it's working for you.
I'm very pleased with mine, especially after years of dealing with issues with the Innovate.
Now you just need to throw some headers on that thing and turn the wick up a bit!
Old 05-22-2015, 05:29 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

pix of gauges/dashlogic mounted plz
Old 05-22-2015, 08:41 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

pix of gauges/dashlogic mounted plz
Hey sorry computer went crazy earlier and now I'm traveling

Here's a post I did on it a while back that shows some pics of the dash logic half

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588702119
Old 05-22-2015, 08:49 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Your logic is hanging in that pic lol.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:16 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Your logic is hanging in that pic lol.
lol you can put it behind the radio or something to make it neater. I left it there for easy access and added another plug for hp tuners to plug into.

Sorry but I'll get you some pics tomorrow or Monday. Been day drinking on a mini vacation and don't have the corvette with me lol
Old 05-24-2015, 11:16 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Everyone will be thrilled to see that I spent a solid 10 minutes today with some all purpose cleaner and my engine bay, lol. Still not exactly show room condition or anything, but it sure looks a lot better!

Don't worry Arctic, I promise I haven't forgotten about you! I'll get some pics in the morning for you..

Name:  IMG_0703.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  369.8 KB
Old 05-24-2015, 11:27 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

looks good... time to get it done
Old 05-25-2015, 08:23 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Alright Arctic, I finally got some pics. Actually I took some this morning and the wires were so hideous I had to clean them up some. They still aren't pretty, but whatever, I keep the glovebox closed most of the time.

Green connector goes to HP Tuners interface, the rest is just a mess of wires. My setup is pretty much just thrown in the glovebox right now.
Name:  IMG_0792%201.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  340.1 KB

This is over on the left side of the glovebox. The wires wrapped in tape run over to the drivers side where the dash logic interface is
Name:  IMG_0794%201.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  333.0 KB

Here's where I plug in Dash Logic and HP Tuners interface
Name:  IMG_0795%201.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  368.8 KB

Same
Name:  IMG_0798.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  450.6 KB

Here you can see the OBD splitter/extension cable thing I use to keep all of this stuff out of my way
Name:  IMG_0800%201.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  362.4 KB

Then on the DIC you can set dash logic to show whatever you want. One of my screens shows engine coolant temp and radiator fan %
Name:  IMG_0801%201.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  276.5 KB

This one shows total fuel trims for bank 1 / 2
Name:  IMG_0802%201.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  287.8 KB

Then this one shows Commanded lambda, actual lambda (wideband, lambda of 1 = 14.7 AFR), degrees of knock retard and boost/vacuum in lbs.
Name:  IMG_0803%201.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  293.6 KB

That's it!
Old 05-25-2015, 08:25 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Ok tks bud.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:26 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I've tried to include even the dumbest of my mistakes so that someone else doesn't make the same ones.....

Even after re-installing the cats I still had a little bit of smell. It was especially bad if I had the AC system set to not recirculate (i.e. it was pulling in air from outside) then I got into boost a little bit then came to a stop pretty quick after that. My head would feel tingly, I'd want to vomit, and yeah, it was pretty annoying

I would get some smell regardless of being into boost, it just got worse if I did get on it much

It wasn't a gas smell, but still made my head feel funny so I've been trying to figure out where it was coming from

I was smelling around the engine bay yesterday and finally found it.. that damn open breather oil cap. It stunk like hell and I had a headache after smelling it up close

So, just as a trial, I put the original oil cap back on this morning and drove to work without getting into boost very much

Not a BIT of smell the entire drive to work this morning. I had HVAC set to not recirculate, windows up, windows down, stop, go, didn't matter.. zero smell whatsoever. Finally, I feel good driving my car again!!

SO, I ordered me a super awesome mighty mouse PCV catch can and -10 AN oil cap. That should fix me right up. I need to order a fitting or two and hose next. The can won't ship until next week, so I'm not in too big of a hurry

In the mean time I'm going to put the breather cap back on just to be sure I don't blow a seal or anything like that

Summary: Breather oil caps suck

Last edited by schpenxel; 05-26-2015 at 11:28 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Well, I finally did it.. (ECS /FSP)

Old 05-26-2015, 11:29 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Open breathers are awful. Smell and make a mess with fumes all over. The MM can will still vent to atmosphere, but only at high boost when I needs to. Never in normal driving.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:33 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Open breathers are awful. Smell and make a mess with fumes all over. The MM can will still vent to atmosphere, but only at high boost when I needs to. Never in normal driving.
Yeah, I didn't realize open breathers were so bad.. I might could tolerate the car without cats now that this part of the smell is gone.

I think I can handle a little bit after high boost though. I also think if I put the can on the passenger side fender I can keep the fumes from going right into the HVAC vents even when it does open.

We'll see after it gets here where I can get it to fit. I saw where someone else put it behind the battery kind of right up against the fender and it seemed to work pretty well and was out of the way. They ran a longer drain line also to help with draining it.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:37 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Yeah, I didn't realize open breathers were so bad.. I might could tolerate the car without cats now that this part of the smell is gone.

I think I can handle a little bit after high boost though. I also think if I put the can on the passenger side fender I can keep the fumes from going right into the HVAC vents even when it does open.

We'll see after it gets here where I can get it to fit. I saw where someone else put it behind the battery kind of right up against the fender and it seemed to work pretty well and was out of the way. They ran a longer drain line also to help with draining it.
Mine are where the battery was. It rarely would vent on the street, since I can rarely get to those boost levels. In my dyno video the cans can be seen venting, but I have not yet smelled a thing on the street.

Name:  6E3E58A4-8BC6-459F-AD2D-6824ADD698A9_zps6lisambb.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  151.2 KB

Quick Reply: Well, I finally did it.. (ECS /FSP)