C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, I finally did it.. (ECS /FSP)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 08:57 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Proracing
It took me about 2 maybe 3 hours total to do it and that's that about an hour or so of that was just in pinning the crank with 3 drill bits later. I have a forged crank so it takes fooooorever!! Lol
Drill bit went right through the steel part of the balancer but once it hit that forged crank it slowed waaaaay down!!
Haha.. well, I guess for better or worse, I won't have THAT problem with a stock crank at least..

That doesn't sound too bad time wise. Better than I was expecting anyways

Did you break drill bits or just dull them horribly?
Old 11-16-2014, 09:00 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

once the car is on jackstands I can probably move the rack out of the way in about 30-45 mins... if you're not changing the balancer, lowering the cradle might be an easier and less messy solution but I have never tried it that way personally... the 2 times I moved my rack over my balancer had to come off anyway so I had no choice
Old 11-16-2014, 09:57 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by neutron82
once the car is on jackstands I can probably move the rack out of the way in about 30-45 mins... if you're not changing the balancer, lowering the cradle might be an easier and less messy solution but I have never tried it that way personally... the 2 times I moved my rack over my balancer had to come off anyway so I had no choice
Gotcha. Well, I think after I get started on it I'll figure out the best way for me. Sounds like there are 2 or 3 ways to get the job done, so hopefully that means I'm less likely to screw it up
Old 11-16-2014, 10:06 PM
Proracing
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Haha.. well, I guess for better or worse, I won't have THAT problem with a stock crank at least.. That doesn't sound too bad time wise. Better than I was expecting anyways Did you break drill bits or just dull them horribly?

I didn't break any, they got dull from the forged crank. My buddy that's a mechanic at a performance shop told me I'd probably go through 2-3 drill bits because of it being forged. A stock crank you'll be fine with the one bit.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:10 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Proracing
I didn't break any, they got dull from the forged crank. My buddy that's a mechanic at a performance shop told me I'd probably go through 2-3 drill bits because of it being forged. A stock crank you'll be fine with the one bit.
Good deal, I was hoping that was the case..

Now Matt just has to get the thing to me

(the check hasn't even made it to him yet so I'm only kidding)

Last edited by schpenxel; 11-16-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:55 AM
Matt @ FSP
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks for the kind comments guys...

Good working with you so far, will be a beast when she is done. Keep us in the loop and I'll send you over some tracking #'s ASAP
Old 11-20-2014, 10:57 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Matt @ FSP
Thanks for the kind comments guys...

Good working with you so far, will be a beast when she is done. Keep us in the loop and I'll send you over some tracking #'s ASAP
Will do. Should have plenty of install pics to post. I usually go overboard on those for some reason.

Hoping it makes it to me by Thanksgiving so I can start with the install since I have a few days off work, but we shall see. Don't mean to beat a dead horse on that one

Hell I've been wanting to do this for years, a few more days won't hurt me

Last edited by schpenxel; 11-20-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:26 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Getting ready for the SC install.. took care of some other issues last weekend/this weekend. Throwout bearing was fried along with 2 of 3 torque tube bearings. Giubo's didn't look so great either, so I replaced slave w/bearing, torque tube bearings, giubo's and I think that was about it

Only took a few hours to pull apart.. putting it back together took a lot longer. Bought a jack crossbeam bar from harbor freight to help get it back up in the right place.. worked fairly well. Getting the exhaust in the right place while I was raising that whole contraption up ended up being the hardest part

Much quieter now though. Idling in neutral used to have a nice extra bearing humming noise, and that is now gone.. also downshifts a lot easier

Name:  IMG_0101.jpg
Views: 4590
Size:  321.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0102.jpg
Views: 4623
Size:  352.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0103.jpg
Views: 4638
Size:  387.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0121.jpg
Views: 4634
Size:  376.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0139.jpg
Views: 4606
Size:  457.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0140.jpg
Views: 4545
Size:  500.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0187.jpg
Views: 4601
Size:  287.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0294.jpg
Views: 4593
Size:  329.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0295.jpg
Views: 4651
Size:  506.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0301.jpg
Views: 4552
Size:  484.5 KB

Last edited by schpenxel; 11-22-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:52 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

You guys are a bad influence.

So far on the way:

ECS kit
Racetronix harness
Fuel pressure sensor
Dash logic

Next up: Alky control kit

Shortly thereafter: new clutch

That's enough for now, I hope anyways.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:32 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Dashlogic got here yesterday
Racetronix harness just showed up
ECS kit is out for delivery now!

Unfortunately Dashlogic sent the wrong unit (sent a Camaro one).. but they are overnighting me the correct one, so I can't complain too much there

Also.. I don't see how Racetronix even breaks even on this harness for what all the connectors/wire would come out to. Looks great and costs next to nothing in the grand scheme of things
Attached Images   
Old 12-04-2014, 06:08 PM
SPIN20
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Dashlogic got here yesterday
Racetronix harness just showed up
ECS kit is out for delivery now!

Unfortunately Dashlogic sent the wrong unit (sent a Camaro one).. but they are overnighting me the correct one, so I can't complain too much there

Also.. I don't see how Racetronix even breaks even on this harness for what all the connectors/wire would come out to. Looks great and costs next to nothing in the grand scheme of things
How long did it take to get the ECS kit from when you ordered it?
The following users liked this post:
bigbsp (09-19-2016)
Old 12-04-2014, 06:59 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by SPIN20
How long did it take to get the ECS kit from when you ordered it?
-Sent check out on 11/14
-FSP received 11/18 or 11/19
-Everything was pretty much on stand still week of Thanksgiving
-I received the kit today, 12/4

So, basically 2 weeks. One week was a holiday for most people (for at least half) then shipping was a few days.. so about a week of what I would consider the real lead time from check to shipping

Added picture of 2 of 3 boxes. Sorry for the mess.. had it shipped to my parents place so the gf didn't find out I bought it yet
Attached Images  

Last edited by schpenxel; 12-04-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:07 PM
Suprfly
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LoL you gonna wait to tell her after she feels the power?
Old 12-05-2014, 04:12 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Suprfly
LoL you gonna wait to tell her after she feels the power?
haha, I'm not sure how the car will sound after it's installed.. but I imagine she'll be asking me what that whining noise is

she's not much of one for power though unfortunately.. I think I've gotten on it maybe once with her in the car (in stock form) and I got screamed at, so she'll probably never notice the power. Or maybe I'll scare her with it, who knows

Hoping to start on install Sunday. Going to be raining Saturday.. I want to at least get the crank pinned on Sunday, hopefully more.

I've got some absolutely horrible gas in there now, so I have to run that out first too. There's one place in town that carries ethanol free 93 octane that all the car guys go to. I think the station is called "real gas", haha.. so I'll fill up there once I can run this cheap crap out. I'm getting knock all over the place right now, even with stock timing

Last edited by schpenxel; 12-05-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:10 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

haha, I'm not sure how the car will sound after it's installed.. but I imagine she'll be asking me what that whining noise is
If blower whine what you're looking for - the Novi is NOT the blower of choice for that. The 1500 makes no type of whine noise - helical cut gears assure that fact. And I for one, prefer quiet - which is why I'd never get a Procharger (though I read they now have a helical cut option)
Old 12-05-2014, 10:05 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by M M Alexander
If blower whine what you're looking for - the Novi is NOT the blower of choice for that. The 1500 makes no type of whine noise - helical cut gears assure that fact. And I for one, prefer quiet - which is why I'd never get a Procharger (though I read they now have a helical cut option)
True. I can't hear anything unless I open the hood, and still can barely hear it. The bov on the other hand is a different story.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:09 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by M M Alexander
I prefer quiet as well.. but having never heard one in person I wasn't sure how quiet they really were. i.e. "quiet" for what they are or truly silent quiet..

I like the sleeper style car that looks nice but appears/sounds mostly stock'ish, but is actually a little something different

Plus I regularly drive it 2 hours a day, so I don't want to listen to a loud exhaust drone or loud blower, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Well, I finally did it.. (ECS /FSP)

Old 12-05-2014, 11:43 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I prefer quiet as well.. but having never heard one in person I wasn't sure how quiet they really were. i.e. "quiet" for what they are or truly silent quiet..

I like the sleeper style car that looks nice but appears/sounds mostly stock'ish, but is actually a little something different

Plus I regularly drive it 2 hours a day, so I don't want to listen to a loud exhaust drone or loud blower, etc.
I would say quiet for what they are. You can hear it the most during the first start after a long cooldown or first thing in the morning. After that, you have to open the hood to hear it.

Btw, I'm with you on the sleeper style. Mine looks bone stock, but the cam and constant bov discharge while on idle or crusing gives something away.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:08 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Pitufina
I would say quiet for what they are. You can hear it the most during the first start after a long cooldown or first thing in the morning. After that, you have to open the hood to hear it.

Btw, I'm with you on the sleeper style. Mine looks bone stock, but the cam and constant bov discharge while on idle or crusing gives something away.
What's your setup?
Old 12-06-2014, 09:47 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

You'll only hear it at idle and under 1400rpms or so if you don't have a lot of ambient noise. The blow off valve is VERY audible. Here's how loud the BOV is...

Here just go to the end of the video if you want to hear it coming down the street...

Quick Reply: Well, I finally did it.. (ECS /FSP)