C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband Recommendations!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 02:42 PM
pikkashoe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Streetk, just placed the order. Thanks for all the info.

Cant wait to install this with the SLP Pod.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:51 PM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by pikkashoe
Streetk, just placed the order. Thanks for all the info.

Cant wait to install this with the SLP Pod.
Did you order direct from PLX? Where you order pod from?
Old 11-27-2014, 03:00 PM
pikkashoe
Racer

Ordered directly from PLX.
Ordered the pod from Maryland speed.

Last edited by pikkashoe; 11-27-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:52 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Streek, one last question.

Did you have to pull the dash (the face of the dash)? Sounds like you just ran the wires down the back and side of the slp pod.

Thanks for responding by the way, ordering today.
If I remember right, I just partially unclipped the instrument cluster trim bezel to give me a little room. It's just held in with clips and pops right out with a trim tool.

I'd also recommend getting a roll of that heavy duty red double sided tape. SLP does give you a little with the pod, but mine had problems staying firmly in place at first. I ended up adding a strip to just about every contact edge of the pod, and it's been rock solid since.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:53 PM
pikkashoe
Racer

Thanks street. I have plenty of that 3m double sided tape. Stuff is incredibly strong. Just have to make sure the surfaces are perfectly clean and free of oils, to allow it to stick.

Cant wait to install it. I am just going to run the wires out the back of the pod and down the dash as best as I can without having to pull the dash. I have the worst luck with those clips, so I try to avoid pulling trim held on by clips at all costs.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:14 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Thanks street. I have plenty of that 3m double sided tape. Stuff is incredibly strong. Just have to make sure the surfaces are perfectly clean and free of oils, to allow it to stick.

Cant wait to install it. I am just going to run the wires out the back of the pod and down the dash as best as I can without having to pull the dash. I have the worst luck with those clips, so I try to avoid pulling trim held on by clips at all costs.
post some install pics if you don't mind.. I'm interested in doing the same on mine

also, on the clips.. GM is making the plastic parts thinner and thinner but has been using the same clips for years if not decades. The clips take more force to separate now than the plastic can withstand in a lot of instances. I've destroyed quite a few panels trying to get them off.. plastic rips, clips are still in place
Old 11-27-2014, 10:17 PM
pikkashoe
Racer

Will do. I have to do some research still on the install of the o2 sensor and how to wire up the PLX module. Once I start i will take some pics and post them up.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:29 AM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

I've removed that instrument panel trim bezel on both of my C6's. It's not hard at all to do, and I've never had problems with the clips breaking. They're a metal clip, and that trim bezel is plenty strong. I don't think you'll be getting the wires hidden without at least popping the panel a little loose on the left side.

For the wiring, I wrapped everything up really neatly with electrical tape and zip tied it up to the factory wiring up near the OBD port, before having it cross over to the passenger side fuse box area. Get a metal coat hanger or similar to feed the wires across behind the heater box.

There are plenty of good spots to mount the PLX module by the fuse box. I just used more of that 3M tape to stick it on, then one of those mini fuse-taps to feed it key-on power. The only thing I'd be careful with is the ground -- you'll want a really good one for accurate wideband readings. I actually ran mine out into the engine bay and secured it to one of the factory ground posts on the frame. And as always, I crimped + soldered + shrink wrapped all my connections.

Hope that helps
Old 11-28-2014, 05:28 PM
pikkashoe
Racer

Streetk14,

Thanks for all the suggestions.
What fuse did you tap to power the PLX module? If I remember correctly, I already have like 2 fuses tapped in there (one for curb alert, and another one for the fuel pressure sensor). Can I just piggy back of one of those?

As for the ground, where exactly are the factory ground posts on the frame located? I may do that. I have the Fuel pressure sensor and Meth system grounded to a spot behind the dead pedal on the frame I believe.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:29 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Streetk14,

Thanks for all the suggestions.
What fuse did you tap to power the PLX module? If I remember correctly, I already have like 2 fuses tapped in there (one for curb alert, and another one for the fuel pressure sensor). Can I just piggy back of one of those?

As for the ground, where exactly are the factory ground posts on the frame located? I may do that. I have the Fuel pressure sensor and Meth system grounded to a spot behind the dead pedal on the frame I believe.
I can't remember which fuses I've tapped into. I used one for the PLX module, and one for my fuel pressure sensor (which isn't even hooked up to the fuel system right now). I'm not sure if you'd want to piggy back off a fuse tap you already have. You're already increasing the load on the wiring that feeds the factory fuse (by adding another load), but I guess it just depends on how many amps your accessories pull.

There are a number of ground points on the very top of the frame rails that run right next to the engine. The one I used was on the passenger side kind of near the dry-sump tank. I'm sure you could find other good spots on the frame to ground it, but I just like using factory ground points when I can. With our battery being in the trunk, I figured this was as good as it was going to get. I tune my car using my wideband, so accuracy was something I was after.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:04 PM
pikkashoe
Racer

Streetk, finally got the plx afr system in.
Does it matter which exhaust bank I put the O2 sensor in?

Also is there anyway to have the DM6 gauge output boost as well, say from the dashlogic?

Last edited by pikkashoe; 12-10-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:53 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

the drivers side bank is usually leaner so I'd put the bung on the drivers side.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:01 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
the drivers side bank is usually leaner so I'd put the bung on the drivers side.
That's where I put mine. Always heard bad things about #7 so figured that made the most sense
Old 12-10-2014, 06:28 PM
pikkashoe
Racer

Ok guys, need some help.
Got under the car today to check out the headers. I have PFadt headers with high flow cats that have been gutted.

On the driver side bank, there are 2 bungs, one in front of the cats, and one behind, both have o2 sensors in them.
On the passenger side, there are 3 bungs, 2 in front of the cats, one does not have anything it, and then another bung after the cats.

Both bungs behind the cats are on top of the pipe, so basically almost impossible to access without dropping them.

So I am guessing the wideband O2 goes into that one unused bung on the pax side? The cats are gutted.

Last edited by pikkashoe; 12-10-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:56 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Ok guys, need some help.
Got under the car today to check out the headers. I have PFadt headers with high flow cats that have been gutted.

On the driver side bank, there are 2 bungs, one in front of the cats, and one behind, both have o2 sensors in them.
On the passenger side, there are 3 bungs, 2 in front of the cats, one does not have anything it, and then another bung after the cats.

Both bungs behind the cats are on top of the pipe, so basically almost impossible to access without dropping them.

So I am guessing the wideband O2 goes into that one unused bung on the pax side? The cats are gutted.
You don't have to have any of the rear ones.. but tune will need to be updated to not throw errors if you remove one or both of them (just to turn off the error, not any "real" tuning). They are there just for emissions stuff

Are there any bungs that wouldn't be horrible to get to?
Old 12-10-2014, 09:38 PM
pikkashoe
Racer

There is one bung on the pax side before the cat that is available.
That's the only one available, so I will be using that one.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:54 AM
pikkashoe
Racer

Ok everything is almost done. Today I will install the o2 sensor. The gauge and SLP Pod are installed. and wired.

Now Im stuck trying to figure out where to get 12 v power for the AFR Module.
I currently am using the heated seats fuse for my fuel pressure sensor and curb alert. (fp is piggy back)
Another fuse in there is being used for the Alky control system, i believe its the HVAC Fuse.(i may be wrong).

Not sure where to tap now for the AFR. Can I piggy back onto the Heated seat fuse. Not sure if thats a good idea to have 3 different things running off that fuse.

Any ideas or suggestions? Are there any other 12 v switched fuses I can use?

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Wideband Recommendations!

Old 12-11-2014, 11:22 AM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 148 Posts

Post pics if possible. I am just waiting on the SLP pod to arrive. PLX arrived last week.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:34 PM
pikkashoe
Racer

Sorry jet stream, I didn't take any pictures of the install.

It was pretty straight forward, just a pain in the butt sometimes (running o2 sensor wire thru the firewall was no fun).

I did end up having to pull the dash trim to get the wires run, there was no way around it. That was nerve racking, felt like the trim was going to crack every time I pulled on it.

I ended up just disconnecting the Fuel Pressure sensor and using the heated seat fuse for power.

So far so good, looks awesome. Thanks for the recommendation Streetk.

Jetstream, if you need help during the install, just private message me and I will help you out.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:51 AM
JCox23
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I got my PLX gauge in the mail earlier this week. I'll probably have to refer back to this thread once it comes time to install. I'm just going to wait and do everything at once when I install my NX kit.

Quick Reply: Wideband Recommendations!