C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler talk...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 08:56 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Oil cooler talk...

While my car is in pieces I have now decided to do an oil cooler. My plan is to use a B&M cooler with a fan and install it the same way I did my transmission cooler, but on the drivers side.
I am using the Improved Racing slim adaptor which looks like a very nice piece.
I have been reading on the topic and the consensus seems to be to use -10 lines, but I am not sure I understand why. I want to use -8, and considering the size of the cooler fittings, its seems to make no sense to use bigger. I am pretty sure that on cars that come with coolers from the factory, the lines are not bigger than -8.
Any thoughts experiences on this topic?

Thanks and happy holidays to all.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:23 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Factory lines have to be closer to -6.

But on the cooler I installed on my camaro I used -8. Never caused an issue but also not sure on temps because of lack of a gauge.

I just deleted the cooler on my newest motor build. Felt like it kept temps too low.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:15 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Where are you mounting? I was thinking about mounting one in the fog light area and eliminating the fog lights. On two other cars I used -8 and worked well. Improved racing sells a thermostat controlled adapter.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:47 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by edge04
Where are you mounting? I was thinking about mounting one in the fog light area and eliminating the fog lights. On two other cars I used -8 and worked well. Improved racing sells a thermostat controlled adapter.
I saw the adapter with the thermostat but I am going without it for 2 reasons. One is that it is thicker, which puts it closer to the header (although its not much), and the other is I don't like to add something else that can screw up.
I will mount the cooler the same as the pic below, but on the other side. This one is my trans cooler.
From the temps I see with no cooler, the engine running too cold is the last thing I am worried about.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:55 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Your car a Z? Assume if it is you eliminated the brake duct?

Originally Posted by realcanuk
I saw the adapter with the thermostat but I am going without it for 2 reasons. One is that it is thicker, which puts it closer to the header (although its not much), and the other is I don't like to add something else that can screw up.
I will mount the cooler the same as the pic below, but on the other side. This one is my trans cooler.
From the temps I see with no cooler, the engine running too cold is the last thing I am worried about.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:03 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by edge04
Your car a Z? Assume if it is you eliminated the brake duct?
It is not a Z. There is a small duct there and I just had to trim it a little and it now aims straight on the cooler. I am not sure how the Z duct is placed.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:04 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

What Temps are you seeing?

If I did an oil cooler again it would be with a thermostat.

My c5 without an oil cooler gets to 220 and stay unless you drive it hard. Then settles back down.

my c6 with an oil cooler stayed in the 180s 190s. My bearings and pump showed signs of lack of lubrication and from reading this isn't hot enough to be desirable.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:07 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Blackonblacksls
What Temps are you seeing?

If I did an oil cooler again it would be with a thermostat.

My c5 without an oil cooler gets to 220 and stay unless you drive it hard. Then settles back down.

my c6 with an oil cooler stayed in the 180s 190s. My bearings and pump showed signs of lack of lubrication and from reading this isn't hot enough to be desirable.
I see the 230 area and although I don't think that is too hot I am hoping that getting the oil temps down a little will also help keep coolant temps lower. I really understand why at 190s you would have lack of lubrication. What oil were you using ?
Old 12-25-2014, 05:42 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Originally Posted by realcanuk
I see the 230 area and although I don't think that is too hot I am hoping that getting the oil temps down a little will also help keep coolant temps lower. I really understand why at 190s you would have lack of lubrication. What oil were you using ?

motor was a dry sump car with tons of pressure.

I don't think the resting temp was the issue as much as maybe taking a while to get there.. and it being on the lower end of the scale already means it spent a lot of time being a bit chillier than I would like.

if i would have thought more about it maybe I would have just used a thinner oil.

But as often as I change it I like the Rotella diesel stuff.

But I'm sure these are some reasons gm used to a coolant and oil heat exchanger over the front mount style ones like my car came with.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:43 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Curious where others have used for coolers and mounting locations.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:45 PM
Ls240sx
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I used this B&M 11 in. x 11 in. x 1 1/2 in with -8 lines. Without it I was hitting 250* temps. Now I sit around 220. I am going to put a small fan on it for next summer to see how much that helps.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:38 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I'm running no oil cooler, they hit ~200 and just stay there. Since I don't road race, or do extended high HP stuff besides 1/2 mile, street fun, I don't see a need at all. Cruising around in 115F weather oil temps don't get high at all.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:42 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Originally Posted by Unreal
I'm running no oil cooler, they hit ~200 and just stay there. Since I don't road race, or do extended high HP stuff besides 1/2 mile, street fun, I don't see a need at all. Cruising around in 115F weather oil temps don't get high at all.

Something I noticed today taking the new baby to the doctor in my baby mommas ctsv.

the oil temp changes with pressure.

in my c5 it's pretty consisted with part throttle and little throttle driving.

so I'm curious how big of an effect the placement of temp sensor has on the temp displayed on our gauges.

like on our c6z the temp is taken at the dry sump tank.

if it was taken some where else how would it compare? 20, 30, or 40? Degrees higher? Does it even matter?

Get notified of new replies

To Oil cooler talk...

Quick Reply: Oil cooler talk...