C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear mount turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 09:54 PM
#1 TA WS-6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude_man
Yes hpt 2 bar.

Sweet. When will you be getting started?
Old 05-27-2015, 10:07 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by #1 TA WS-6
Sweet. When will you be getting started?
Sort of started
Old 05-27-2015, 10:23 PM
#1 TA WS-6
Racer

Sort of? Lol. What's are you up to?
Old 05-27-2015, 10:24 PM
#1 TA WS-6
Racer

Sort of? Lol. What's are you up to?
Up to I mean
Old 05-27-2015, 10:31 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

Up to I mean
My 9-5 then started working on the other Vette. Got a piece of metal in my eye, had to get that removed and rust grinded out. Hasn't been a good past week haha
Old 05-29-2015, 08:57 PM
#1 TA WS-6
Racer

Sheesh no kidding.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:48 PM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Im trying to decide what intercooler to get on my rear mount. I'm not sure if I should get the treadstone passenger or driver outlet. I've seen the cold side ran both ways. Is there a reason you ran it to the drivers side vs. the passenger?
Old 06-04-2015, 08:13 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by GaragedLS2
Im trying to decide what intercooler to get on my rear mount. I'm not sure if I should get the treadstone passenger or driver outlet. I've seen the cold side ran both ways. Is there a reason you ran it to the drivers side vs. the passenger?
Ran drivers side due to my turbo placement. Hot side needed to be passenger side
Old 06-04-2015, 08:19 PM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Ran drivers side due to my turbo placement. Hot side needed to be passenger side
I guess that makes enough sense. I have a better question then. If you flipped the turbo around (if it was even possible?) do you think you'd of had more clearance to run the cold side, through the passenger side, and not had to of crushed the pipe?
Old 06-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

I guess that makes enough sense. I have a better question then. If you flipped the turbo around (if it was even possible?) do you think you'd of had more clearance to run the cold side, through the passenger side, and not had to of crushed the pipe?
If you run it on the drivers side and have patience you can run it next to the motor and through the subframe and sway bar.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:05 PM
GaragedLS2
Racer

If you run it on the drivers side and have patience you can run it next to the motor and through the subframe and sway bar.
Perfect! Thats what I was hoping to hear. Looks like a fun car, hopefully mine is just as badass when I'm done. I'll be using a comp oil-less 7679 on my build.

Thanks for the answers.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:13 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

Perfect! Thats what I was hoping to hear. Looks like a fun car, hopefully mine is just as badass when I'm done. I'll be using a comp oil-less 7679 on my build.

Thanks for the answers.
Cool man excited to see how those oil less turbos work. Going to be nice not having a scavenger setup
Old 06-04-2015, 09:33 PM
90zcrex
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you can also run the pipes up through the engine bay and back down to the cooler, it's what I plan to do as my car is already very low so I don't wanna loss any more ground clearance. Here is Danz build where he did his like this. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...unt-c5z06.html

Last edited by 90zcrex; 06-04-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:52 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by 90zcrex
you can also run the pipes up through the engine bay and back down to the cooler, it's what I plan to do as my car is already very low so I don't wanna loss any more ground clearance. Here is Danz build where he did his like this. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...unt-c5z06.html
Not a fan of that visually and the extra heat you're adding by running it that way.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:29 PM
narfdanarf
Pro

Not a fan of that visually and the extra heat you're adding by running it that way.
It's before the intercooler so heat really isn't an issue. Dan's car is very very fast and spools about the same as my top mount s480 car.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:40 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by narfdanarf
It's before the intercooler so heat really isn't an issue. Dan's car is very very fast and spools about the same as my top mount s480 car.
Not really true at all unless you're spraying meth. The whole idea of the cold side piping is to keep it away from heat. An air to air can only do so much. I never said it wouldn't make power or spool (smaller turbo better spool fast). It's just not very efficient to run your cold side piping near a hot source right before an ic.
For example your ic drops temps 30 degrees. Id rather have 30 degrees taken off 130 than 170 degrees.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:52 PM
narfdanarf
Pro

Not really true at all unless you're spraying meth. The whole idea of the cold side piping is to keep it away from heat. An air to air can only do so much. I never said it wouldn't make power or spool (smaller turbo better spool fast). It's just not very efficient to run your cold side piping near a hot source right before an ic.
For example your ic drops temps 30 degrees. Id rather have 30 degrees taken off 130 than 170 degrees.
I don't want to get into a pissing match with you but that's not how air to air intercoolers work, not to mention the pre-intercooler temperature of the air is going to be higher than the engine bay temperature to begin with. For clarification if you care you can look up a generic temperature profile for a cross flow heat exchanger. To run the pipe or not that is up to you, just wanted to clarify that little bit on the heat being a concern.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear mount turbo build

Old 06-04-2015, 11:57 PM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Originally Posted by 90zcrex
I read his thread in its entirety. His car is amazing but I dont like the added piping/bends and the extra clutter in the engine compartment. I think you can get away with running it low and not having low clearance issues. Thats kind of what I was trying to clarify with Dude. I havent mocked anything up but I will try my best to run the piping without crushing it and keeping it out of the engine bay if at all possible.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:59 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

I don't want to get into a pissing match with you but that's not how air to air intercoolers work, not to mention the pre-intercooler temperature of the air is going to be higher than the engine bay temperature to begin with. For clarification if you care you can look up a generic temperature profile for a cross flow heat exchanger. To run the pipe or not that is up to you, just wanted to clarify that little bit on the heat being a concern.
I'm well aware how an ic works, I put it in basic terms. I work for a company who develops heats reflective wraps etc. End of story it's not effecient, heat soaking the piping before your ic is not smart. If you want to build yours that way, that's your car.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:04 AM
GaragedLS2
Racer

The beautiful thing about the rear mount is it has a lot of time to exchange heat throughout the run of the pipe back to the front of the car. I cant remember who, but someone on these forums, ran a rear mount with no intercooler and no meth. His IAT's still stayed relatively low due to this. I've never tested the temperature of the engine bay next to the exhaust manifold, with the hood shut, but I'd venture to say that the charge air by this point will be cooler than the radiant heat coming off of the manifold. I doubt this would be a huge difference pre-intercooler, but I bet it still heats up the air some.

Its funny because I think the most important part of this setup is actually retaining heat on the hot side and not so much trying to cool the charge air. These rear mounts bring some new questions to the table.

Quick Reply: Rear mount turbo build