C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

michelin PSS wobble?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 11:10 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,193 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Just took my Cup wheels and PS2s off and put on GS wheels with GY F1s, wobble gone.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:17 AM
magls2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I sent an email to Michelin about this issue
There response was to send me a survey to win an iPad
I will try again .......
Old 10-19-2015, 05:30 AM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the MMSS on my z as well. I went with the 245/35R19 in the rear. With max PSI I haven't noticed much wobble. As I lover the PSI in an attempt to gain low-speed straight-line traction I notice and increase in the wobble as well. I only get The wobble when doing WOT runs. Start at the shift 2/3 or 3/4th. With Psi at 25lbs it is really bad. I will try a max PSI run and see how they are.
Don't forget these are non-run flats and have a much softer side wall to give you a quieter better ride baby require running them a tire pressure to retain the sidewall stability. I mounted my own tires and they are supersoft sidewalls. I have use these tires for autocross and road course. I am extremely impressed with their dry traction and ride over the runflat crap tires. We have to remember that we cannot expect these tires to do drag radial duty and most likely will have to run the near max pressure.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:01 PM
JRS 94
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michelin warranted mine. The car just wasn't safe at WOT. I changed to Nitto invos. Wobble is gone, car is much more stable. 30psi in the tires. There is something wrong with those tires.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:13 PM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Tried it again yesterday at the drag strip.
28 lbs and 3rd gear was so bad I couldn't go over 100 mph.
Aired them to 40 and ran an 11.30&131mph. Several passes and no issue.
You can't run them low. Buy a drag radial if you want traction.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:17 PM
bdickey058
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JRS 94
Michelin warranted mine. The car just wasn't safe at WOT. I changed to Nitto invos. Wobble is gone, car is much more stable. 30psi in the tires. There is something wrong with those tires.
Did you just send your back and they give you new ones? Or reimburse you?
Old 10-26-2015, 11:50 PM
JRS 94
Instructor

Originally Posted by bdickey058
Did you just send your back and they give you new ones? Or reimburse you?
Called their customer service, got an incident number. Then local discount tire inspected the tires and brokered a 75% warranty. Not a perfect deal but at least the car is stable at WOT, and I'm not playing with air pressure.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:56 AM
timvan
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Called their customer service, got an incident number. Then local discount tire inspected the tires and brokered a 75% warranty. Not a perfect deal but at least the car is stable at WOT, and I'm not playing with air pressure.
Did you have to provide proof of purchase ?
Old 10-28-2015, 01:39 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I just happened to notice you have a base model and you went with 305 size tires...

are you on the STOCK rims?

I had my RE11s do a nice wobble when getting up above legal speeds. Tire was a poor fit for the rim. Went with appropriately wider rims and bam it's gone. The new tire may not do it because not all 305 sized tires are the same size.

Food for thought...
Old 10-28-2015, 07:15 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

I ran 305 R888's on stock narrow body rims for quite a while. No issues at triple digit speeds and hard (640rwhp) acceleration. Those were my track tires. I ran 305 Invos's on the same size rims. No issues with them either...but, also no traction. They were pretty worthless in gears 1 through 3. The 888's usually hooked all of second.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:00 PM
JRS 94
Instructor

Originally Posted by timvan
Did you have to provide proof of purchase ?
No proof was required. I think they know that these tires have a problem.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:08 PM
JRS 94
Instructor

Originally Posted by old motorhead
I ran 305 R888's on stock narrow body rims for quite a while. No issues at triple digit speeds and hard (640rwhp) acceleration. Those were my track tires. I ran 305 Invos's on the same size rims. No issues with them either...but, also no traction. They were pretty worthless in gears 1 through 3. The 888's usually hooked all of second.
I'll do a drag radial next year, I need to find a set of rear gumby's this winter. Oddly enough the INVO's hook better than the PSS ever did. I'm at 540rwhp stock ls3 and blower only for now. Unfortunately its time to park the car for winter.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:14 PM
JRS 94
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
I just happened to notice you have a base model and you went with 305 size tires...

are you on the STOCK rims?

I had my RE11s do a nice wobble when getting up above legal speeds. Tire was a poor fit for the rim. Went with appropriately wider rims and bam it's gone. The new tire may not do it because not all 305 sized tires are the same size.

Food for thought...
Thought about that too, yes stock wheels, but way too many people had issue with the PSS. Specs are the same between the PSS and the IVVO' s problem is gone now. For now I'm good.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:08 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by old motorhead
how much life out of the R888 if daily driven?
Old 10-29-2015, 03:27 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

I never put many miles on the 888's. I have a wide body now and they're sitting in the corner of my garage..
Old 11-02-2015, 10:53 AM
racerxrick
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am starting to catalog this issue and saving links to threads...THIS IS NOT JUST A CORVETTE ISSUE! I have found threads on GT500 and even BMW forums with just a little research. Michelin was kind enough to swap my rears out for $96 (sarcasm implied) and I still have the issue.

I posted the following to another thread today:

I have been following threads like this on multiple forums (it's not just a Corvette problem) and the issue is ALWAYS the same and ALWAYS related to Michelin tires! 100% of the time after reading through a typical thread eventually it comes out the owner with the "wobble" has Michelin's. To be clear not all owners with Michelins experience this.

Me: (702whp 2010 GS) I have been fighting this and I have two other sets of rims (drag pack and DR's on spare 19" rears)...with these other rears there is NO WOBBLE! Switch back to the Michelin PSS and under hard 3rd and 4th accel the rear end wobbles and it is VERY scary!

Michelin "exchanged" my rears and denied ever hearing of this problem (despite others reporting the issue and a friend reporting the issue directly to a race engineer at COTA). And yes I have another friend locally with his 675whp GS experiencing the EXACT same issue on his low mileage car.

BTW, I was charged $96 to exchange the rears for another set.

What really sucks is I love the wet/dry traction (lateral and straight line) but cannot trust these at high speeds as under accel the car "at times" will wag it's tail like a dog with a bone!!!!!!!!!!!

Going back to Discount this week to work on exchanging for another brand.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:01 PM
JRS 94
Instructor

Originally Posted by racerxrick
I am starting to catalog this issue and saving links to threads...THIS IS NOT JUST A CORVETTE ISSUE! I have found threads on GT500 and even BMW forums with just a little research. Michelin was kind enough to swap my rears out for $96 (sarcasm implied) and I still have the issue.

I posted the following to another thread today:

I have been following threads like this on multiple forums (it's not just a Corvette problem) and the issue is ALWAYS the same and ALWAYS related to Michelin tires! 100% of the time after reading through a typical thread eventually it comes out the owner with the "wobble" has Michelin's. To be clear not all owners with Michelins experience this.

Me: (702whp 2010 GS) I have been fighting this and I have two other sets of rims (drag pack and DR's on spare 19" rears)...with these other rears there is NO WOBBLE! Switch back to the Michelin PSS and under hard 3rd and 4th accel the rear end wobbles and it is VERY scary!

Michelin "exchanged" my rears and denied ever hearing of this problem (despite others reporting the issue and a friend reporting the issue directly to a race engineer at COTA). And yes I have another friend locally with his 675whp GS experiencing the EXACT same issue on his low mileage car.

BTW, I was charged $96 to exchange the rears for another set.

What really sucks is I love the wet/dry traction (lateral and straight line) but cannot trust these at high speeds as under accel the car "at times" will wag it's tail like a dog with a bone!!!!!!!!!!!

Going back to Discount this week to work on exchanging for another brand.
Call the customer service number and get an incident number, after that discount tire did the rest. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To michelin PSS wobble?

Old 11-18-2015, 12:30 AM
racerxrick
Racer

Call the customer service number and get an incident number, after that discount tire did the rest. Good luck.
Above you can see I "paid" to "exchange" my first set only to have the same issue. Returned to Discount Tire and the manager again was very helpful and trusted my account (doesn't hurt he knows I have multiple sets of tires and does a lot of business with my tuner).

Michelin took the second set back 100% and Discount covered me for the fronts.

I chose Bridgestone RE11's in stock sizing (only way) and they are solid and stable with multiple pulls.

Then I bought some of the new MT Street SS (also 325/30/19) to replace my worn NTO5r's. Took those to WannaGOFAST and busted off a couple 170mph passes clean and straight no wobble.

NOTE: had a fellow c6 driver at the 1/2 mile event complain of handling/traction. "yeah, yeah everybody is struggling with the dusty runway" I told him. Then he tells me he's having problems in third and even fourth and describes the now familiar Michelin death wobble. Without being near his car I asked if he was running Michelin (already knew)...YEP, sure enough!

MICHELIN HAS A SERIOUS ISSUE THAT'S GOING TO KILL SOMEONE!

Last edited by racerxrick; 11-18-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:53 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by racerxrick
I chose Bridgestone RE11's in stock sizing (only way) and they are solid and stable with multiple pulls.

Then I bought some of the new MT Street SS (also 325/30/19) to replace my worn NTO5r's. Took those to WannaGOFAST and busted off a couple 170mph passes clean and straight no wobble.
Hey I'm on RE-11s currently. Short term they were nice. Long term as they wear they get progressively worse...and quick. I'm looking for some new tires what are your thoughts on other tires for street usage? R888 do they last a reasonable amount of time or worthy?
Old 11-18-2015, 09:59 AM
racerxrick
Racer

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
Hey I'm on RE-11s currently. Short term they were nice. Long term as they wear they get progressively worse...and quick. I'm looking for some new tires what are your thoughts on other tires for street usage? R888 do they last a reasonable amount of time or worthy?
ah I hate to hear that though I wouldn't expect the RE11's to last long at 200 tread wear.

I haven't tried the the R888 though I see it recommended quite a bit. I have a drag pack and an extra set of rear factory GS rims with DR's (currently the new MT Street SS) so the RE11's are my "touring" or road trip tire. Not thinking the R888's would suit that purpose.

Here is a vid of how well the RE11's work for me (of course this Mexico test was just last week and they are brand new!)

Quick Reply: michelin PSS wobble?