C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk Mechanical cam/solid rollers vs Hydraulic roller cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Kip Fabre
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Local guy did a solid roller. Dropped a ton of money doing the swap. Jessel rockers, machined heads, lifters, pushrods, etc. Thought it was going to make 50+rwhp more than a similar hydralic setup. After a bunch of issues, etc he finally got car running and made absolutely sad numbers. 40-50rwhp than most of the local basic cam cars. He was pissed that he bought into the solid roller thing. Everyone told him not to do it, but he didn't listen.

Besides Kip@CAM motion, who is trying to sell you one, I haven't seen or heard of anyone with luck on a street car. I have seen PLENTY of people with failed rockers and issues.

Race car, max effort, hell yah do it. Already making 1400rwhp and want to get to 1500rwhp+, go for it.
First we don't try to sell everyone on the Solid Low Lash Roller. If the customer wants one we will let him know the advantages. If the hyd and the solid are close to the same duration and lift the power will not be much different. One advantage is the LLSR cam will turn higher rpms than the hyd. The LLSR will have less valve noise. With a hyd cam after a hard run some of the lifters will bleed down and start tapping the LLSR will not. LLSR is just a better way to go if you are building a performance engine. As far as cheaking lash there is none one set you are good to go check them when you check your springs.
We have not had any complaints from anyone about the LLSR all of the guys I have talked to have said they would never go back to a HYD setup.
Have your friend call me I will buy all of the parts back if he is having trouble. Kip
Old 02-09-2016, 11:42 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

He isn't a friend. Local Camaro guy that did something like 418rwhp with your LLSR Frankenstein heads/etc. I'm sure you know who he is.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:18 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

I have had good results with both Hyd and LLSR designs. Just need to set things up properly and that takes more work then most people are willing to put in, even on a hid setup if you are pushing rpm past stock redline.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:01 PM
dcblackss
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solid roller cam here. Switched from a 799 lift to a cam motion low lash cam to tame the car down a bit. Low lash ftw
Old 03-03-2016, 12:03 PM
hrlyhnx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're changing out your springs every 20-30k miles and Kip has shown that the lashes didn't need adjustment after12-15K miles, how much more maintenance would the LLSR be over the hyd?
lashes are reset with new springs and to check them yourself (free) or have someone do it for your (2hr job MAX!!! @$100.00/hr.) half way through the spring replacing.....is it really a bid maintenance issue in the end? for the extra ponies and adjustability on cam specs the price of the LLSR is a no brainer for a large +427 cu. in. LS engine build.

Quick Reply: Let's talk Mechanical cam/solid rollers vs Hydraulic roller cam