C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WB shows dip during PE

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 05:18 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Default WB shows dip during PE

Noticed AFR starts to go rich under PE then goes back to tracking command around 4000RPM. I'm still tuning VE but can't believe the table is off so sharply. Wondering if maybe the NPP opening up about that time could cause this? or possibly this is where Meth started spraying? I also simulate 100% Alcohol into the flex fuel sensor at 4psi boost which is around that time of the dip but the tune isn't doing anything yet with that signal, like adding spark or adjusting the AFR. There's a lot of stuff happening at that time, fuel pump kicks in, meth, NPP, flex fuel @ 100% and don't think I'll get another drive on the car for a while to figure it out

Last edited by NJ_phil; 02-08-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:46 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

I put a spike on the area of the map where it went rich. It's smack in the middle of the dip in the table. Hard to believe I need to lean it out even more...but it kinda looks that way

Last edited by NJ_phil; 02-08-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:46 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Easiest thing to do would be to mess with it via process of elimination.

Take the fuse out for npp before you start the drive to make sure that can't be it, and if that doesn't help disable your meth for a pull if possible (if you aren't meth dependent that is).

I would also add flex fuel timing to the log just to make sure, but I doubt that is affecting anything at this point. Not much you can do about the fuel pump kicking on at that point, but does your fuel pressure spike at all? Doesn't look like it in that graph but I can't see the scale.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:28 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sevinn
Easiest thing to do would be to mess with it via process of elimination.

Take the fuse out for npp before you start the drive to make sure that can't be it, and if that doesn't help disable your meth for a pull if possible (if you aren't meth dependent that is).

I would also add flex fuel timing to the log just to make sure, but I doubt that is affecting anything at this point. Not much you can do about the fuel pump kicking on at that point, but does your fuel pressure spike at all? Doesn't look like it in that graph but I can't see the scale.
I was going to start doing that but didn't see the dip until the car was back in the garage with the covers on and now looking at 6" of snow out there and it will be a while. NPP is switched with a fob, just happened to leave it enabled. Looking closer shows fuel did kick on a little earlier than I thought, went from 54 to 58 well before PE so that can't be it.(regulator set to 58)

Just thought it was a common situation others might have seen.

LOL "meth dependent" Funny you should say that since I just got done re-watching breaking bad last few weeks

Thanks man..
Old 02-09-2017, 08:50 AM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

maybe I am wrong, but I would be more worried about 15.52 AFR at almost 3 lbs of boost.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:11 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by russ472
maybe I am wrong, but I would be more worried about 15.52 AFR at almost 3 lbs of boost.
I can adjust the EQ depending on boost but didn't get to it yet. Didn't see any knock so put that on the list for later on. BTW, knock shown on that clip in under 1 degree. Scale is 0-3 degrees
Old 02-09-2017, 10:35 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Yeah you've got a lot going on at that point like you mentioned.. until you can start eliminating them one by one it's tough to say what is causing it. You shouldn't need a spike like that in the VE table though. Maybe a change to cancel out the extra fuel from meth but even that shouldn't be a spike

How do you have the transient fueling stuff setup for ethanol? Long shot but worth looking at. I'd set it up so all of the ethanol/alcohol transient tables are the same as the gas ones just to be sure nothing is changing on that end right there when "alcohol" % goes up

Last edited by schpenxel; 02-09-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:06 AM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

curious....what are you using to simulate alcohol content at 4psi and why? Pressure sensor on the meth to change your fuel and timing tables?
Old 02-09-2017, 11:10 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Yes, basically.

I had the same on mine (though with a difference device) before switching to E85

Last edited by schpenxel; 02-09-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:39 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

curious....what are you using to simulate alcohol content at 4psi and why? Pressure sensor on the meth to change your fuel and timing tables?
Got a circuit that sends 150hz into the ECM's flex fuel sensor when the meth pressure hits 120psi. Plan to add spark in when that happens so I don't have to set the base table dependent on meth being sprayed and risk knock if it doesn't pressurize... Like when I forget to fill the tank or turn it on

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Yeah you've got a lot going on at that point like you mentioned.. until you can start eliminating them one by one it's tough to say what is causing it. You shouldn't need a spike like that in the VE table though. Maybe a change to cancel out the extra fuel from meth but even that shouldn't be a spike

How do you have the transient fueling stuff setup for ethanol? Long shot but worth looking at. I'd set it up so all of the ethanol/alcohol transient tables are the same as the gas ones just to be sure nothing is changing on that end right there when "alcohol" % goes up

Actually it's only off 5% and I just drew that spike in there to show where that VE point is. Also drew it (+) adding more fuel where it really needs to go the other way.

Basically alcohol transient tables are the same. I didn't do anything in the tune yet when it switches into alcohol. zereod out the alcohol spark adder and have EQ set to 1.0 for now so nothing changes as far as fueling or spark

EDIT: More like 12% off

Last edited by NJ_phil; 02-09-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:41 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Ah gotcha. Yeah probably not that then

Wouldn't really worry too much about it as long as it's not happening at higher boost
Old 02-09-2017, 11:53 AM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NJ_phil
Got a circuit that sends 150hz into the ECM's flex fuel sensor when the meth pressure hits 120psi. Plan to add spark in when that happens so I don't have to set the base table dependent on meth being sprayed and risk knock if it doesn't pressurize... Like when I forget to fill the tank or turn it on
Can you PM me details on your setup for that. Don't want to hijack your thread.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:45 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Ah gotcha. Yeah probably not that then

Wouldn't really worry too much about it as long as it's not happening at higher boost
Haven't had a chance to get it over 10ps since doing a a bunch of minor, housekeeping mods and will definitely keep an eye on it. Pretty much trained now to keep one eye on WB and the other on the road whenever my foot is in the floor.

Can you PM me details on your setup for that. Don't want to hijack your thread.
No problem at all on the hijack. I started a thread showing the details. Nothing fancy, but a nice safety addition IMO
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-e38-ecms.html

Get notified of new replies

To WB shows dip during PE

Quick Reply: WB shows dip during PE