C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevron PurESCAPE

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chevron PurESCAPE

Just bought two bottles, buy one get one free, of Chevron PurECAPE gas treatment. I've never used an additive before, but this one got a great review--you can actually feel an increase in response, from a Corvette mag. And Chevron was the first to come out with the additive that cleaned injectors back in the '80s. For $3.50 a bottle, figured I'd give it a try next fillup. Anybody else used it/read about it?
Old 07-06-2007, 02:27 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

I just bought some, $6 a bottle at Pep Boys. I'm not sure I can feel anymore "G's" like the article said, but it may be there. Can you get it on line somewhere?
Old 07-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TommyV
I just bought some, $6 a bottle at Pep Boys. I'm not sure I can feel anymore "G's" like the article said, but it may be there. Can you get it on line somewhere?
Checker Auto had the sale,which is why I figured why not try it. Not sure if anybody else has the sale, but usually when one does they all do eventually. Haven't looked online. Gonna wait to see if it works first.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:24 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiterock1
Just bought two bottles, buy one get one free, of Chevron PurECAPE gas treatment. I've never used an additive before, but this one got a great review--you can actually feel an increase in response, from a Corvette mag. And Chevron was the first to come out with the additive that cleaned injectors back in the '80s. For $3.50 a bottle, figured I'd give it a try next fillup. Anybody else used it/read about it?
I find it hard to believe it could do anything to improve performance. The car is tuned to run on premium. The way the timing tables are set up, it's highly unlikely that the electronics are going to adjust for anything more.

Just my opinion - sometimes I'm wrong. I'd be surprised if I am this time
Old 07-06-2007, 06:16 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Snake oil.

If you are using premium brand gas the gas already has additives and cleaners in it. If they are claiming an Octane increase; first, it can't be much of an increase for $3.50 a bottle (Torco Octane booster costs $16 for 32oz. to treat 10 gallons of gas) and second, the octane boost won't do you any good unless your car is tuned for it.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Bandit1
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

BG44K
Old 07-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

Probably right, and if it was anyone but Chevron, I wouldn't. I doubt it will do any harm--and the review was really strong, so what the hell...for 7 bucks, why not. I'll post results when I do try it.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:05 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

It's not octane, it's a "catalyst" LINK I guess I'm the one born every minute.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TommyV
It's not octane, it's a "catalyst" LINK I guess I'm the one born every minute.
When I pick up 20 rwhp you guys will be sorry...
Old 07-07-2007, 03:49 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I read the same article. Bought a bottle but haven't tried it yet. I don't think you can call it snake oil when they had numbers to back up the test.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:57 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by goatts
I read the same article. Bought a bottle but haven't tried it yet. I don't think you can call it snake oil when they had numbers to back up the test.
Everybody has numbers to back up tests. I don't know what you do for a living, but I've been in sales for 33 years. You'd be amazed at what sales and marketing guys can come up with to back up their claims. Someone once told me "all it takes to make a chart is numbers". True'r words were never spoken.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:03 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Everybody has numbers to back up tests. I don't know what you do for a living, but I've been in sales for 33 years. You'd be amazed at what sales and marketing guys can come up with to back up their claims. Someone once told me "all it takes to make a chart is numbers". True'r words were never spoken.
My favorite is "I only state the facts as I make them up".
Even if the "catalyst" somehow caused the combustion process to happen quicker, it's more likely to cause a reduction in power. There is an optimum point ATDC for peak cylinder pressure to occur for best mechanical advantage/power. Spark advance takes in the ignition delay (the time for combustion to occur) to produce best power...any sooner or later causes a reduction in power. (This assumes no knock present with optimum spark advance. Any knock will reduce timing/power.) If the "catalyst" causes quicker combustion, then the spark advance would have to be changed to take best advantage. With no other changes than adding the additive, peak cylinder pressure will occur too soon to make use of optimum mechanical advantage resulting in a decrease in HP. Cylinder pressure will also increase more as the piston approaches TDC...any increase in cylinder pressure BTDC causes negative work resulting in a decrease in HP. Again, this is all assuming the "catalyst" actually works and the combustion process happens quicker.

If anybody doesn't like these facts, I can make up something else.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:39 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Couldja make me a BLT, please. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:23 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by glass slipper
My favorite is "I only state the facts as I make them up".
Even if the "catalyst" somehow caused the combustion process to happen quicker, it's more likely to cause a reduction in power. There is an optimum point ATDC for peak cylinder pressure to occur for best mechanical advantage/power. Spark advance takes in the ignition delay (the time for combustion to occur) to produce best power...any sooner or later causes a reduction in power. (This assumes no knock present with optimum spark advance. Any knock will reduce timing/power.) If the "catalyst" causes quicker combustion, then the spark advance would have to be changed to take best advantage. With no other changes than adding the additive, peak cylinder pressure will occur too soon to make use of optimum mechanical advantage resulting in a decrease in HP. Cylinder pressure will also increase more as the piston approaches TDC...any increase in cylinder pressure BTDC causes negative work resulting in a decrease in HP. Again, this is all assuming the "catalyst" actually works and the combustion process happens quicker.

If anybody doesn't like these facts, I can make up something else.
The company I work for could use you in a key sales management position!

Get notified of new replies

To Chevron PurESCAPE

Quick Reply: Chevron PurESCAPE