C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EZ install, C5 clutch assist spring in C6.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:16 PM
fastskyline
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i took the spring out completely after owning the car about 3 days...that was over two years ago. just a guess but im pretty sure the car is driveable without it. mine is a daily driver.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:44 PM
etevroc
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My factory C6 spring broke two days ago at 20k miles. Guess it didn't care for the stop and go traffic. Have been driving without spring with no problem. It's going back to the dealer for a new spring.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:14 PM
snkeskiner
Advanced

Originally Posted by fastskyline
i took the spring out completely after owning the car about 3 days...that was over two years ago. just a guess but im pretty sure the car is driveable without it. mine is a daily driver.
I just completely removed the spring. The clutch feels great without it!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:34 PM
bassspring
Racer

Dose anyone know what the difference is in the C5 spring and the C6 spring is, maybe the materal size or the spring diameter or the material alloy, I own a spring company, so maybe I can make a better than stock spring.Bassspring
Old 03-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Just Enough
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bassspring
Dose anyone know what the difference is in the C5 spring and the C6 spring is, maybe the materal size or the spring diameter or the material alloy, I own a spring company, so maybe I can make a better than stock spring.Bassspring
It is an over-center spring to assist in holding the clutch in when at a stop light. Many feel that the nonlinear pedal force the over-center spring produces makes the clutch more difficult to modulate. My opinion after removing the spring in both my C5 and now my C6 is that Chevy should never have put the spring in the car. It least it is easy to remove. Sorry for the long story and it is always cool when creative people are refining products, unfortunately there are already two different stiffness (C5 lighter, C6 stiffer) of a spring that some of us feel shouldn't exist in the first place. Others may disagree.

Last edited by Just Enough; 03-30-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:11 PM
bassspring
Racer

Originally Posted by Just Enough
It is an over-center spring to assist in holding the clutch in when at a stop light. Many feel that the nonlinear pedal force the over-center spring produces makes the clutch more difficult to modulate. My opinion after removing the spring in both my C5 and now my C6 is that Chevy should never have put the spring in the car. It least it is easy to remove. Sorry for the long story and it is always cool when creative people are refining products, unfortunately there are already two different stiffness (C5 lighter, C6 stiffer) of a spring that some of us feel shouldn't exist in the first place. Others may disagree.
I think what you mean is that GM has two different springs, IMO there are thousands of options if not more. Bassspring
Old 03-31-2009, 12:42 AM
hgerhardt
5th Gear

SO that's why the clutch in the '09 Z51 I drive recently had such a light clutch. Really didn't care for that. Could have pushed it down with my pinkie. The clutch in the '06 Z06 I drove before that had a much more linear feel to it and more heft. Felt like the clutch in my '95 Z28. Wonder if somebody changed the spring in the Z06 I drove...
Old 03-31-2009, 02:02 AM
C6Antwon
Pro

Ummm mine doesnt have one??? WOW I need to order the C5 spring then lol
Old 03-31-2009, 06:28 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Clevite Kid, my clutch started sticking to the floor after I put my cam in a couple of years ago, I tried the C5 spring and it still stuck. I took out the spring and the clutch has been fine ever since for daily driving and 300+ 5-6k drag strip launches.

I wonder if you'll have the sticky clutch problem now that you're getting a cam...let us know!
Old 03-31-2009, 09:27 AM
Just Enough
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bassspring
I think what you mean is that GM has two different springs, IMO there are thousands of options if not more. Bassspring
What I really mean is that no spring is necessary and in my opinion the clutch functions best without a spring. Two different rate springs exist, many more different rate springs can be created but I would not spend time designing a new spring for this application. But that is just me.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:42 AM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Clevite Kid, my clutch started sticking to the floor after I put my cam in a couple of years ago, I tried the C5 spring and it still stuck. I took out the spring and the clutch has been fine ever since for daily driving and 300+ 5-6k drag strip launches.

I wonder if you'll have the sticky clutch problem now that you're getting a cam...let us know!
I'm not getting as much cam as you have , and I will not be launching from 5500 rpm every weekend. But I will let you know. I am getting the LS7 disc and pressure plate on a Fidanza aluminum flywheel - the same clutch setup that SpinMonster has.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:48 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by FiberGlassKid
Thanks alot! That was a lot of help! Excellent explanation and picture.
It took about 10 minutes. I wonder what the engineer was thinking when he ok'd the c6 spring application. Thanks again!
.....and the president of GM was thanking the engineer for being clever and finding a way to make the C6 pedal feel like his Honda Accord's clutch pedal.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:26 PM
bassspring
Racer

I think I understand it know the spring is working backwards it should load as you push the clutch not as it is released. Bassspring
Old 04-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Fasrdnu
Instructor

This was my concern AT THE DRAG STRIP!!! as well as the street. thanks Joe!
Old 09-30-2009, 06:50 PM
David Ochoa
Advanced

Ran down to my local dealer and picked up the C5 spring, as advertised it was a 5 minute job. Just took it for a quick spin and I like it so much I may try it without the spring this weekend!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:38 AM
RicksCorvette
Advanced

amm..

I was driving home last night from work and this exact spring popped out. Yes! It popped out. I picked it up off the floor, while I was at the red light, and threw it over to the passenger seat.

I do plan on re-installing it; but my question is, how long can I continue to drive with the car without having it on?
Old 08-31-2010, 05:21 PM
snkeskiner
Advanced

I've been driving my car for 2 1/2 years with no spring. I prefer the feeling of no spring.

Get notified of new replies

To EZ install, C5 clutch assist spring in C6.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Silverado Desperado
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So no one has found any ill effects so far from driving with no spring???

I bet it feels and operates a lot better, and much more smoothly. Is that correct?
Old 09-02-2010, 09:04 AM
LSCHLEM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Default Clutch spring removal helped

I was having problems with the Clutch sticking to the floor at high RPM
6000. A friend of mine said to remove it. I did and the problem pretty much went away. One thing to keep in mind is that spring is greasy and I had a hard time removing it. The only thing left is the pedal is much harder to push in. I will try the C5 Spring and hope I can get it in. I'm loosing weight now and soon I will be able to try it. " a worthy goal "
Old 09-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

1.5 years later...

I'm up to 414 drag strip runs, 47000 daily driver miles. Safe to say based on my experience that you don't need the spring.

I launch hard...this was about 5800 rpm and full throttle at the launch.

Quick Reply: EZ install, C5 clutch assist spring in C6.